t2 engine help in Australia

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
ysnooz
Forum Participant

t2 engine help in Australia

Postby ysnooz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:43 pm

Hi I have a t2 motor that has lost oil pressure while idling.
I turned it off straight away as I saw the oil light flicker and loud knocking from motor. I have started it one more time but it has only run for 20 seconds like this and no load at all.
Anyway I thought the oil pump had failed, but I removed the sump and seen that the oil pump looked o.k...however there is a lot of metal shavings all at the bottom of the sump>> oh great
I right away think it has done big end bearings but was quite fkd as how this would happen while at idle???
So I removed rocker cover and noticed that the gear on the cam shaft that runs the oil pump is worn so much that you can spin the oil pump shaft with its gear 200 deg.before it makes any contact with the mating gear on the camshaft.
As you guys know these are not the most common car around so to get parts for these things seem real hard, so any one who has any ideas ?
I have a pro t motor for spares but i assume different.
Do you think motor is destroyed anyway due to bits of the gear through the oil /idling with little no oil pressure?

ysnooz
Forum Participant

Postby ysnooz » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:09 am

I have spent a long time on the forum but getting useful info/ can take a long time and a lotof if from so long a go.
So where can you get parts for these things?/whats still available?
How can i get any translated workshop manual?
Any one like to give a detailed procedure on removal/replacement
camshaft and rockers including adjusting
oil pump and drive?
Can I just get a new cam made up like member Bart has done for pro t motor?
Will this include the oil pump gear. (the one on the camshaft)
If you do use brand new can you reuse mating gear?
What other gaskets/seals will i need?
Rocker cover/oil pump/sump ???

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:30 am

you should be able to pick up a used cam and pump drive from someone... maybe shipped from NZ would be the best bet..

if not, check this thread.. bart got a new cam ground up for his NA
viewtopic.php?t=3200

i would be worried about your bearings too, if they were starved from oil.. even with bits of metal floating around through all the clearances.. might have caused some wear/damage..

i guess the best thing to do would be to get a cam and oil pump drive for cheap.. bolt them in and see hot it goes.. maybe get a magnetic sump plug while u are at it too

ProT
Donating Member

Postby ProT » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:38 am

Try going and seeing the folk at Batalion Motors, 70 Townsville St Fyshwick (02) 6280 6022.

I understand they have some good older honda engine knowledge.

ysnooz
Forum Participant

Postby ysnooz » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:36 am

Dxs wrote:you should be able to pick up a used cam and pump drive from someone... maybe shipped from NZ would be the best bet..

if not, check this thread.. bart got a new cam ground up for his NA
viewtopic.php?t=3200

i would be worried about your bearings too, if they were starved from oil.. even with bits of metal floating around through all the clearances.. might have caused some wear/damage..

i guess the best thing to do would be to get a cam and oil pump drive for cheap.. bolt them in and see hot it goes.. maybe get a magnetic sump plug while u are at it too

Thanks I am interested if anyone has any good second hand gear out there I would be keen to buy.PM me
Can you remove the gear from the camshaft?
If i get a new one made up will it come with this gear?
What else would be wise to change if changing camshaft?
Any removal procedures ?

ysnooz
Forum Participant

Postby ysnooz » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:44 am

ProT wrote:Try going and seeing the folk at Batalion Motors, 70 Townsville St Fyshwick (02) 6280 6022.

I understand they have some good older honda engine knowledge.

Thanks for that I know jason from Batalion Motors.
He is a great help,and knows his early Hondas but says he has not seen city turbo motor for a long time and has no parts for them any more?

Anyone doing a rebuild atm any info PM me

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:02 am

Is the gear on the cam broken or the gear on the oil pump shaft?

The gear on the cam is part of the cam, you would have to replace the whole cam shaft if it is this one which is broken.

Supposedly the cam gear and pump shaft gear are a matched pair, so you should not replace one without replacing the other, however i am pretty sure i have swapped oil pump shafts between motors before and the world didn't end :P

Ideally you would want to source a second hand cam and matching oil pump drive shaft from someone on here. Remember you need to get your rockers faced when you put a different cam in. I would also strongly recommend a new oil pump if there is any question about the state of your existing one.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:33 pm

I have a spare T1 and T2 motor both suitable for parts if you cant find them else where and need to get them shipped from here.

ysnooz
Forum Participant

Postby ysnooz » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Colza wrote:Is the gear on the cam broken or the gear on the oil pump shaft?

The gear on the cam is part of the cam, you would have to replace the whole cam shaft if it is this one which is broken.

Supposedly the cam gear and pump shaft gear are a matched pair, so you should not replace one without replacing the other, however i am pretty sure i have swapped oil pump shafts between motors before and the world didn't end :P

Ideally you would want to source a second hand cam and matching oil pump drive shaft from someone on here. Remember you need to get your rockers faced when you put a different cam in. I would also strongly recommend a new oil pump if there is any question about the state of your existing one.

Thanks for the advise ..It is the gear on the camshaft that is stripped>
If i get a new cam made up can i use my pump gear or a second hand one
or would it have to be new too?
do you know if oil pumps are available still new/or gear?
can anyone give a detailed description on camshaft removal/replacement
or where to get one thanks D
Oh yeah If I do get a cam made up from a blank like member Bart had done with his n/a would it be any advantage to getting a higher lift or would you not bother.If so any specs?
My mods are front mount/exaust/dump pipe/pod filter/surge tank/ vl turbo pump
I will most likely upgrade the huffer soon with a ball bearing one of similar specs mabe larger compressor and front cover>>>And maybe injectors if needed Any suggestions

ysnooz
Forum Participant

t2 parts

Postby ysnooz » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:02 pm

3GCVC wrote:I have a spare T1 and T2 motor both suitable for parts if you cant find them else where and need to get them shipped from here.

Pm sent thanks Dean

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:27 pm

i might have some spares..

ie camshaft, oil pump drive and oil pump

depending on what you are after and how much u offer and i would have to check the condition, if u want send me an offer through PM

3GCVC might be cheaper though

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:24 am

To swap out the cam, from the top of my head this is the method i would probably use (if anyone has any suggestions/corrections feel free to post).

1) Drain the radiator fluid
2) Remove the distributor from the head.
3) Remove the valve cover and top timing belt cover
4) Maybe set the engine to TDC (rotate it from the crank pulley.. check the online manual)
5) Mark the timing belt and the cam sprocket on a location/tooth so you know where to put it when installing the new cam.
5) Remove the thermostate/distributor housing from side of the head.
6) Unbolt the cam caps in the correct order (check the online manual for this) you can then lift them all out as one big piece
7) Lift out the cam (distributor side first)
8 ) put the new cam in and make sure to put it on the correct timing belt tooth
9) torque down the cam caps in the correct order/torque rating
10) put the rest of the stuff back in (make sure distributor is in correctly.. check the infobase for this)

it is not all that hard, just hardest would be to make sure the dizzy is hasnt spun around/make it sure it is correct.. and u havent put the cam on the wrong tooth of the timing belt.

here is a good video for the jist of the operation..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMMgAHBGcJg (for a dohc b series.. but same basic principles)

:)

Return to “General”