Tom's City E Stereo Install Log

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Tomypg
Forum Participant

Tom's City E Stereo Install Log

Postby Tomypg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey guys, decided ti kit my honda city E out with a decent stereo.And by decent I mean truly redonkulous.

I am just a high school student on a weekend job so this is not an all out stereo install. Every expense IS spared. I'm on a budget...

This is what I am installing into my city:

2 x 12" Fusion NV subs 1000WRMS each
2 x Venom 6/9 100WRMS each
2x Venom 5.25 fronts
1 x Response 4x100WRMS amp
1 x Fusion 2500.1
1 x Soundstream Cap
1 x 110 Amp alternator

So I was pretty stocked with my purchases with pretty much everything on sale:

The subs, amp, cap and 0 Gauge cabling was all $700NZD
5.25's, 6/9's and response amp was $350 including misc cables.

I have made a custom sub box for the two 12's that has a slanted back to fit against the seats and just fits in between the two suspension points. Nice and snug.

Going to get some pictures up tomorrow, but whats holding me back right now is money for two deep cycle batteries and need to make a mount for the second alternator.

However I have installed the headunit and the front speakers, and also installed the 0 Gauge cable from under the bonnet to the back. I am going to be running the whole stereo seperate from the entire car so I don't get a flat battery.

This is how it is going to be wired: Alternator > Batteries > Buss Bars > (Front Amp) + Cap > Sub Amp

However I will have to rewire my headunit so that I don't get a ground loop and the dreaded whine!!

So next project while I wait for money for my batteries is to make new front speaker panels from MDF and making the false floor to cover batteries and the amp and set up the fans for cooling.

This is a log of my build: This is so you guys can see and comment on stuff, ask questions or tell me what I am doing is wrong. Also as a referance for me to remember what I'm doing.

Hopefully pictures coming soon.

Tomypg
Forum Participant

Postby Tomypg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:22 pm

okay! Pictures!! Today I just hid the huge power cable from front to back and acquired a couple of alternators.

But heres a few pictures with my mate Sam in the boot being an idiot on my ipod. Haha. Really just pics of what is going in etc etc. Need to make some adjustments to the sub box to make it fit the back seats more though.

Theres my alternators. I need some help still with getting a bracket fab'd to mount my alternator onto the car as an extra one, if anyone can elp me or point me in the correct direction to get it fab'd up. Ceers

Damo80
Forum Participant

Postby Damo80 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:05 am

hey bro, any more progress with your install?

Tomypg
Forum Participant

Postby Tomypg » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:22 am

Hey man,

Progress has gained a little bit. Got some new front components. Put it all in. But progress has stopped due to me needing to find a higher output alternator that will hopefully just bolt on... And afford 2 deep cycle batteries to stick n. I will be buying some more wire and hiding all the wires under the carpet soon to run to my 6x9's and conceal the tweeters cabling a bit better.

Will try to get some pics up soon!

Tomypg
Forum Participant

Postby Tomypg » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:16 pm

Okay, just got this shit up and running! And dayum it slams!!

I just redid the battery terminal with a new gold one, 1AWG ground cableto body, 4AWG to engine/gearbox. No more hesitation in acceleration AND I can run my stereo.

So, pulled 86 AMPS with just one sub. Then the voltage drops.

Totally surprised I'm getting 14.2/14.3V on the cap. Right were I want it.

More tests to come and pictures. It's just in running mode atm. VERY messy. 6x9 and amp still to install. and front components just running of headunit.

Will take pics and a video tomorrow.

Damo80
Forum Participant

Postby Damo80 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:50 pm

so these alternators arent the biggest obviously
But will a standard one be handle running just a single 12" and a small amp?
(is just need some bass in the place! haha)

Damo

Tomypg
Forum Participant

Postby Tomypg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:32 am

Hey man, my mate runs a 400 watt rms sub, two 100 wrms 6x9's and 80wrms front splts.

He does it of the normal alternator and a deep cycle battery.

I'm just putting together a video now of my set up running just of the standered alternator and battery and i get a huge voltage drop. But take a look when i put it up.

Tomypg
Forum Participant

Postby Tomypg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:28 pm

WOW, this sucks.

accidentally connected my cap backwards!... O well, It still works but lost a bit of electrolyte. haha. Still online.

Tomypg
Forum Participant

Postby Tomypg » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:10 pm

Okay video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poehd7O3F_E

This is when I was jumped of a mates car at the same time so we had his battery/alternator on as well.

Got the boot going a bit. Plan is for a new alternator ASAP. And to continue with my big 3 upgrade.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:03 am

Haha nice work. The early accord had a bigger alternator that swaps over if you use the crank pulley from the engine as well, I might have a spare one of these. I have the current specs for them all at home, If you post something in here to remind me I can check for you.

Tomypg
Forum Participant

Postby Tomypg » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:23 pm

OMG! Have heard such a thing can be done. What is the output please? Are you saying that it will swap out with the current one? Cause that would be ideal! Means only one extra battery. U mean swap the pulley of the current one onto the accord one? Is the accord one a high ratio(spins faster) cause that is what i need aswell. More output at just idle.

Thanks for your help.

Also an update: My cap is completely gne... There $500 retail, found a guy on trademe willing to split his system of his for $250, should I go for it?

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:00 pm

why not just mount another alternator where the AC compressor usually mounts up? i think 2G Honda legends usually have fairly large alts from factory.

Tomypg
Forum Participant

Postby Tomypg » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:54 pm

3GCVC wrote:why not just mount another alternator where the AC compressor usually mounts up? i think 2G Honda legends usually have fairly large alts from factory.
I need to look closer into that, but even upgrading the current one can't be bad. Also anyone got a picture clearly showin where the ac mounts?

Tomypg
Forum Participant

Postby Tomypg » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:40 pm

THought I may aswell update haha.

Recently got into fibre glassing, so Decided to put some 10 inch subs in the doors. Did the drivers side and going to do the other when I have time (It's just a plank of wood now)

So now I have my 6.5 components and a 10 inch sub in each door...

THEN: amp for the subs was stolen..... Bummer...... So then decided I am now going to wall it off, rego is due in a week, so shall find out what the deal is with registering it as a van of some sorts for 5% tints on the back and build a wall in it.... First rendition may either be two 18;s in a ported wall or 10 10's in a clam shell. I wanna go freaking huuuge.

Found a nice man to fabricate me a dual alternator bracket. So after rego is done that will be next. I got some wood to start the wall, but waiting on rego so I can tint at 5%.

Also, anyone in auckland/hamilton area with a left side city wing mirror? Mine never came wiht one and I need at least two mirrors to get a wof.

ALso just got an alpine flip out 7 inch screen headunit and an electronic cross over. SO with my new found fibre glass skillz expect a central console VERY soon, and possibly new bumpers and a re spray... Again can anyone help me out with a respray for cheep? I will help prep of course! Just want blacked out!

Cheers

magginoodle
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

Re: Tom's City E Stereo Install Log

Postby magginoodle » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:31 pm

Hey bro, your city looks really legit!

Im trying to install a new stereo into my city from the stock one (1984), how did you go about wiring in your headunit??

any help would be greatly apprecaited. i can send photos if needed.

Cheers

Return to “General”