fitting na gearbox box to turbo & mini pics

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
madmini
Donating Member

fitting na gearbox box to turbo & mini pics

Postby madmini » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:11 pm

hi all,yes i'm still here been busy at work but still come on from time to time,

anyways point of this post and if someone could move/edit infobase i can confirm that a gearbox from a na honda city will fit a t2 engine,so this is all nz new honda citys built in nz from 1983-1989,i blew mine on way back from hastings two weeks ago.

paid $100 for a second had box from trademe (local to me) and guy even offerd one month warrenty :)

cheers pete.
Last edited by madmini on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:28 am

Haha good to hear from you Pete, I thought the mini might be gone by now, I am glad you have stuck with it.

The NA gearbox will definitely fit, but you need the correct flywheel, clutch pressure place, and starter motor for the box. Its like the difference between a T1 and a T2 gearbox.

After all the block of an NA city and a turbo city are basically the same casting, the turbo just has some minor difference for oil drain and stuff as far as I am aware.

Hey I still have that boost controller kicking around, do you want me to post it back to you? Either that or I am meeting up with Colin tomorrow and could give it to him, that would get it to upper hutt.

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:16 pm

yeah still around aye just flat out at work,car is going strong with no problems now,prob why have'nt heard from me :P.

yeah pass the boost controloer on to colza if ya want or post back im not to worried about it as wont be useing it or if anyone on here wants it make a offer i guess

i changed the box on mine but didnt change flywheel ect so wiuld be safe to say as long as you have correct flywheel for box then youll be sweet but for info sake mine is a t2 now with a na box but still running t2 flywheel.

looks like the t1s are the odd ones out with a odd box as t2 was main stream for civics,citys ect,who knows.

just thorght id offer the info.

cheers pete.

James

Postby James » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:26 pm

Ahhh thats right, the NZ new city had the T2 gearbox casing with NZ spec gears in it, there is a thread with the dicussion between me and a guy in Auckland on the 1stgencivic forum. He came across a brand spanking NZ spec NA city gearbox and was doing comparison between that and a t2.

Also I misread your original post hah, thought you were asking if it would fit, not telling us it does.

Good to hear its running well too, the idle hunt ever come back?

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:54 pm

yeah i looked at boxes even had a t1 here to compare,should have taken pic but gone to dump now,but yeah the nz new city and t2 boxes are the same,mayby they mass produced them in japan and sold excess one to nz? who knows,but yea can confirm they do fit t2 citys provided you use t2 clutch/flywheel ect id more than say a na one would work too.

nup no idle hunt sincei did take off the choke assy and cleaned it out in gunwash for over a week,new o-ring at the top and yeah had no issues with it to date,she starts and will go anywhere pretty much,been to hastings,palmy,wanganui just gas her up and go,only change i have made to it is chrome wheels hehe ill add a pic shortly

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:26 pm

heres some quick new pics of my car with new chrome wheels.

heres the reason i chaged the gearbox,5th gear blew,and not knowing if berrings were damaged as well easyer to change box alltogether,yes the teeth that are ment to be one one of the gears in inbeded into the other one was diveing at 100kmh just out of hastings,so 4thed it back to wellys.

[img][img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/madmne/20634_1081264607313_1697261753_1590.jpg[/img]

Image[/img]

James

Postby James » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Yeah 5th gear was a weakness especially in the T1 and older boxes, they apparently had pretty poor oiling and strength around that gear, as it was sort of tacked on to a 4 speed. The T2 and later boxes are better I think.

Wheels look pretty good hah.

zakheron
Forum Participant

Wicked mini

Postby zakheron » Mon May 03, 2010 6:20 pm

NIce mini brother, I've seen this down the road at the panel and paint in newtown. Looks mint. I've got a clubman 1275GT and wanting to know if your body kit is original zeemax or did you get it custom made? also if you have any spare bits for the mini I'm after a few for my rebuild.
cheers

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Mon May 03, 2010 10:17 pm

yeah its my panelshop in town :)

kit is a orignal zeemax kit i have a few spares but im now buying brand new rather than second hand stuff thats 40 years old worn ect,you could try the likes of phill deane in upper hutt,jai monagan in levin,lee norman at minibitz in auckland these three would be the best in nz for anything second hand or new.

zakheron
Forum Participant

Postby zakheron » Tue May 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Good to know as the mini will need a solid paint job soon and my honda civic turbo is looking a little rough too. Cheers
Isaac

connorling
Forum Regular

Postby connorling » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:24 am

where do u bolt the non turbo gearbox to? the turbo2 gearbox is bolted up to the cross member,which has a differnet mounting to the na gearbox.

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:27 pm

all citys have the same bottom mount on the crossmember so cant see why you say it diffrent,yes there is diffrences between t1/t2 boxes (houseings esp) but if you have the matching flywheel ect from a doner you can swap it allover,what i said about a na gearbox will be dependnt on whee you are,here in nz citys were build and as luck would have it they have the same style box at t2 citys so the are a direct swap,for argument sake aussie has them but they may have used t1 style box on the production line,if your not shure on what stlye box is what post some pics up on here and we will ba able to tell you what you have.

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Postby KingCity » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Yes the bottom mount is the same, I tried this a few months ago to my T1 (before reading this post) & yeah the N/A gearboxes bolt straight up as long as you change the flywheel, clutch & starter motor to N/A versions. The only down side to the N/A gearbox is that it wont last, they are weak & cant handle the extra torque that the turbo engine produces, also the other reason i didn't keep it in the car is that the ratio's are totally different as in 5th gear at 100kph with the N/A box you are doing 3500rpm vs the turbo box only doing 2600rpm, so the chances are you are going to use more fuel with the N/A box & run out of legs (top end) a lot earlier as the turbo engine makes all its torque & power down low (well more so in the mid revs as the city's don't rev very high) & don't have much up in the higher revs. The upside of the N/A box is that at 100kph in top gear you can put your foot down & hit full boost instantly making passing very easy & don't have to drop down a gear. Id just get the turbo box rebuilt & strengthend if possible. 8)

Return to “General”