IT'S ALIVE!

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

IT'S ALIVE!

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:19 pm

So! Finally have my Turbo 2 up & running, my first manual car ever so having a blast with it etc.

Anyways last night went to drive home, probably 10 degrees outside...wouldnt go into 1st, but 2nd worked and 1st was fine after that. I've noticed though that after abit of a drive around, when I'm at the lights, the idle pulses. This only happens after driving for 5-10mins. Car has a strong steady idle otherwise. any ideas? I was thinking of having it dyno'd at some point to see how much power the thing is actually giving out as well - that something anyone else here has done? worthwhile?

Caleb
Donating Member

Postby Caleb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:29 pm

woot!! good on ya for getting it going, it really gets that warm fuzzy feeling going wen someone gets there city turbo going in Perth =D as for the hunting thats your vac advance leaking, it happens to all of them over time (i have 4 altogether & they all leak) I'm going to send a few here to get recond http://www.advancediaphragmoptions.com/ as for anything else you may need i may be able to help & or kno where to go for help

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:54 pm

congrats have fun with it! the idle hunting is not necessarily the vac advance,ive had mine fixed by that bloke and it still does it it has also been covered on this forum numerous times but as far as i know never ultimately solved,try also replacing every single vacuum hose,thats next on my list of solves for it.
matt

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:12 pm

So the vac-thing is abit of a querk for these cars? Thanks for that CJ the main things for my car will be getting the exhaust done & removing rust/respray when I have the dollars to do it. If I get the turbo dyno'd, what kinda figures should it be putting out, as in hp...I've only ever seen this on Top Gear where they have a 69 Mustang or something that had 250hp new producing 145 now kinda thing. How do I know the Turbo is even working actually? never had a turbo car before either...

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:16 pm

ANTHRAXXX wrote: How do I know the Turbo is even working actually? never had a turbo car before either...

SLAP! that was the sound of my jaw hitting the floor.ile stay out of this one from now on..........

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:06 am

:? What I meant was....I've driven a stock Honda City & now my Turbo, and Turbo seems no more powerful than the stock. The dash turbo display only lights up afew bars through the first few gears & dosent do much at all after that. Maybe it's working but doing f-all I don't really know.

T1especial
Forum Participant

Postby T1especial » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:42 am

Something is very wrong here. I've driven non turbo's before and my T1 is faaaar more powerful and sounds like a fighter jet taking off when on boost!

Just so you can compare, solo driving I can keep up with a Subaru RS B4 sedan up to 120kmph! and thats standard boost too

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Yeah I get the impression something's not right as well....car wise anyways :? Should the Turbo Gauge on the dash be showing full bars the faster you go or the higher it revs etc? She seems pretty slow to me getting up to 100 on the freeway from a standing start...noticed a red light that flashes on when I do hit 100 last night though...thought maybe that meant the engine was about to self-destruct. :wink:

T1especial
Forum Participant

Postby T1especial » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:38 am

The Turbo gauge should be showing full bars if you are going hard foot to the floor, its an indication to the PSI you are running.

The red light you saw is just a speed warning light (if you are talking about the small rectangular light under the Speedometer)

Boost wise, your car isnt running right.

Do a compression test,
Check exhaust manifold for leeks,
Check all hoses,
Take piping off the front of the turbo and poke a digital camera down there and take a photo (will need flash) of the compressor wheel, check for bent fins.

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Re: IT'S ALIVE!

Postby spangleking » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:57 am

Mine does it too.

a former moderator told me hiow to go about fixing it but I forgot how to

ANTHRAXXX wrote:So! Finally have my Turbo 2 up & running, my first manual car ever so having a blast with it etc.

Anyways last night went to drive home, probably 10 degrees outside...wouldnt go into 1st, but 2nd worked and 1st was fine after that. I've noticed though that after abit of a drive around, when I'm at the lights, the idle pulses. This only happens after driving for 5-10mins. Car has a strong steady idle otherwise. any ideas? I was thinking of having it dyno'd at some point to see how much power the thing is actually giving out as well - that something anyone else here has done? worthwhile?

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:06 pm

So! Thanks for your advise T1. After inspecting the engine bay I found 1 small tube that wasn't plugged in. Took the car for a hoon after that & she now has alot more power. Probably isn't tunning full boost etc etc but performed *so* much better. Abit annoying since I'd specifically asked the mechanic to check the turbo for me.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Almost forgot - is the red 'your goin' to fast' dash warning light able to be turned off? discovered it starts beeping as well if you do 105, and beeps faster the more u do over that. Can it be set or do you yank a fuse...?

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:51 pm

To get rid of the annoying beeping you need to take the cluster out and disconnect the wires to the beeper unit on the back, Think the wire colours are green and yellow but its fairly easy to identify.

If your not sure if its boosting correctly you should connect an aftermarket boost gauge to check.

As for the idle hunting check the fast idle valve they usually do that too and from dealing with all my other 80s hondas that is usually what fixes it.

There is a valve with water pipes going to it on the back of the manifold, with two screws holding a lid on top, unscrew them and take the lid off.

When the engine is warm you should be able to block the hole with your thumb and it will stop the idle hunting, If it does, adjusting the piston in the valve will usually fix the problem, Use a ruler or WIDE flat bladed screw driver to turn the piston (clockwise) back down to the bottom of the valve then re install the lid and all should be good.

connorling
Forum Regular

Postby connorling » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:55 am

hey, i am getting my city turbo 2 going as well, lot of problems, i am getting the clutch change tomorrow, still sourcing a gearbox, so hard to find them

craybait
Donating Member

t2 setup

Postby craybait » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:48 pm

If your stuck,in perth take it to overboost in malaga.Brian or Mick are the guys.To find them you have to drive to the address[they almost never answer the phone]they open about 1030 am,and there is no signage on there building the address is correct so drive,get out and walk and listen.
My t2 was on the dyno yesterday and had no boost due to a hole in some piping near the intercooler which had a plastic pipe and clamps slid over the metal pipe.Brian welded the hole and set max boost to 1.5 bar.full report soon

Return to “General”