Running a little hot and dropping Idle.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
zakheron
Forum Participant

Running a little hot and dropping Idle.

Postby zakheron » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:36 pm

So I have finally got my civic turbo up and running. Changed the fuel pump today to a 500hp walbro external which runs a lot quieter than the old VL one. So it has been running a little hot in town, (over the indented part of the gauge on my civic, just under half.) especially in heavy traffic. I think this is possibly the fan not coming on, Is there an easy way to check this? Also when it does get warm it seems to lower the idle, then it gets lower and lower and if my taco is right it goes down to around 800rpm, any ideas?
The car is sounding good now but it does sound a little like a diesel if you know what i mean. Does this sound familiar or is there something very wrong with my setup.
Any help is majorly appreciated.

zakheron
Forum Participant

Theres pics over at 1stgen civic too

Postby zakheron » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:41 pm

ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:13 am

800 RPM for the idle for me seems high. I thought the idle should be around 650 +- 50 RPM for these cars.

As for the fan, if you leave the car idling it should eventually come on once the temperature of the water is around 90 degrees. Don't hold me to this information though... this is what my megasquirt dial was telling me when the fan came on in my car.
If you still can't figure out what's wrong. It might be worth while to remove the water pump to ensure all the impellers are there in one piece.

Make sure the water is topped up including the overfill tank.

I've got a VL pump in my car...God those things are loud..

zakheron
Forum Participant

Postby zakheron » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:38 pm

Yeah they a ridiculous and mine was soild mounted too which made things even worse, The walbro 500 is awesome got it for 245 and its pretty quiet and has a good mounting kit with it. Mine seems to idle on startup at arund 11oo rpm. Cheers for the info, i'm gonna see if i can find the fan running today and then have a look at the pump.
Can it be pulled out with the engine in place? also can the cam belt be done with engine in?

ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:10 pm

If it's a cold day then I think 1100RPM on start up is pretty good.

As for the pump, my car is the Pro T model and it's a piece of piss to remove the water pump. I think it's mounted via 3 bolts. It might be different on the turbo models... though I doubt it. It can be removed with the engine still in.

In regards to the timing belt, that too can be done with the engine in place. Have a look through the workshop manuals. There's bound be a pictorial on the basics of removing the timing belt.

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:02 pm

to check if fan is coming on citys have a thremo switch at the bottom of the radaitor,pull the wires off and join the two together with a bit of wire or something,this will make your fan go,if it doesnt your fan is stuffed,other thing to watch for is haveing a good thremostat in it as well,in my car i have a 82 deg,many on here will either go 82 or 88 deg,the 88 makes the car run warmer but as we in wellington and traffic is a pain in the butt i run the 82 deg and never has got hot,on the city gauge sits between cold and halfway and when booting it sits on half,idle is around 800rpm most of the time.

cheers pete

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:24 pm

I could never get my car to idle nicely below 800, not sure why, Colins mostly stock T2 sat at 650 nicely.

foo
Forum Participant

Postby foo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:35 am

The idle dropping away as it warms up is the correct behaviour of the autochoke. There's a post around here somewhere (infobase I think) about troubleshooting and adjusting the autochoke and idle setting.

My guess is your autochoke is too "open" and should be closing once the engine is moderately warm, as it is sounds like it's still open (and gradually closing) even as the temp climbs into full operating temps.

My autochoke didn't seal at any temp, so I ended up putting heatshrink on the valve part to get it to seal at a reasonable temp :shock:

Re the spiking idle, I have a similar problem one night on the way home, freaked me out - I suspect it might have been the ECU noticing a too-low idle is giving it a spit of fuel to avoid stalling, but I have no idea if that's even likely.

edit: and yeah, my car is much happier with the 88degree thermostat in it

Return to “General”