ENGINE REBUILDS

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:31 pm

Man that sucks ANTHRAXXX.

Check to see if the plumbing from the turbo to the inlet manifold is air-tight. Any leaks will cause your engine to run like shit.
By the way, if you lived closer to Melbourne I would have taken it off your hands!
Good luck mate.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:33 pm

It sounds to me like they put the leads back on in the wrong order or a plug is loose, check your ECU for error codes. (Its under the seat).

I would strongly doubt its suddenly farked, several simple problems can cause these symptoms.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:15 am

I had abit of a go at the plugs, took them out, never done it before so dunno what I'm looking for. They seemed ok but may as well buy some new ones. If they have stuck them on the wrong way I've got no chance of putting it right :shock: unless it's something u can do by trial and error. Second I got in the car & cranked it I knew something was wrong...gonna ring the shop soon & see what I can findout but yeah it's become a real dissapointment/pain in the ass now.

Caleb
Donating Member

Postby Caleb » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:18 pm

hay Anthrax, sry for not being much help l8ly been super busy since mid August. i'm trying to remember if this is the T2 from gingin? if so did it need a new ECU (I remember seeing the add on gumtree)?. where bouts are you cause if your free after 4pm i could have a looksie @ the leads for you, but i wont let you sell it before you've driven a city turbo it at it's best :twisted:

BTW Ken will kno what to do, I'll try & contact him to get a date for a get together soon(will continue on the WA meet up topic)

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:30 am

Hey Caleb, I'm in Marangaroo - your out in Mandurah or something yeah?

Yeap this was the GinGin mobile. The ECU was repaired, had afew blown diodes, but a customer of mine does circut board repairs so he sorted it for me. I've never actually ever had any error codes..car dosent have any floor carpet so it's easy to check at any rate.

What could have been done to my car during a compression test that would leave it running like a tractor? I should have left it at the garage..since they didnt actually charge me I cant exactly ring back & yell at them, and I dont really want to drive all the way back on 3 cylinders either. :(

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 pm

There are no markers on the distributer cap for lead order, and its really easy to get them in the wrong order, that would be a good place to start.

http://www.cityturbo.com/manuals/24_60PD100/24/06.html

EDIT: Jokes, there is a mark, havn't seen that one before.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Cool thanks for that James was trying to find such a pic. on here yesterday. Will check the car tonight, but sure I won't be lucky enough for it to be something that simple :oops: Anyone ever googled How to check your distrubitor leads hooked up right before? think I'd rather attempt building my own working Hadron Collider from matchsticks than attempt something like that :shock:

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:23 am

Ok I checked out the wiring with the diagram & it all seems to be correct. So either they somehow stuffed up something during the compression test, or it's pure coincidence that something else has shat itself afterwards. thinking of putting in new plugs regardless though I spose... :?

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:29 pm

If your motor has good compression (what were the numbers btw) there should be nothing stopping it working properly and is likely just other stuff causing the problems.

If your still running on 3 cylinders you need to isolate the problem its either spark or fuel,

get it running then pull one plug wire at a time till you find which cylinder it is , then at least you can go from there to work out what the problem is.

You can use a sparkplug on the lead of the dead cylinder earthed out to the body or motor to check for spark.

Just try to take some logical steps to eliminating possible causes, Theres probably not much point taking it back to the shop as maybe they dont know what they are doing these motors can be a bit of a handfull,

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:11 am

Thanks will try that. I'm only guessing it's running on 3, certainly feels like it. doubt it's fuel as it was 3/4 full when i left it there and is on 1/2 a tank now. It's almost like there's a secret switch somewhere on this thing that's been set to ' runs sh*t ' instead of ' sweet as ' :?

Caleb
Donating Member

Postby Caleb » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Anthrax if your free today anytime I can come & have a quick look @ the leads for you, call me on 0439 410 974, I'm only in Heathridge very close to where you are :wink:

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:52 pm

Hey cool Thanks! Actually I went & bought some new spark plugs today, and :shock: she's running smooth again :D Just took it for a fling around the block. thats about all I have the time for today...will have to re-organise a Perth meetup as I'm keen to compare how my car against everyone else's 8)

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Will do :D I know u suggested i change the plus about 3 weeks ago :wink: but again it's the sort of thing u would *expect* a auto place to be aware of...they had to drive my car into their garge, test it, then drive it outside & park it again - You would assume the dude that parked it would have thought ' geee this is running rough!! ' Still searching for that One mechanic that says ' Honda City Turbos??! YEah!! Love them!! Do u have one that needs work?? ' - I have kiwi courier drivers that come into my work that at least know what car I have and react like that :D

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:30 pm

Yeap got the number. I had a clued-up car fanatic around today who checked out my City, went for a drive etc. He is sure it's a oil-seal ring ( think thats what he called it ) on a piston that's gone, which is what the Ultra-Tune guy said to me also. If u let the car Idle for afew mins, then peg the throttle it lets out big clouds of white smoke, although he did say it runs well considering, but is pretty ordinary performance for a light turbo-powered car. You can hear the turbo is working fine though. He took off a Intercooler pipe & when you hit the throttle it spat oil over the windscreen, and when u remove the oil cap there is smoke coming out.

Sooo It's proabably going to be an engine-out operation for me. the gearbox needs attention anyways.

Sub_Frequency
Forum Regular

Postby Sub_Frequency » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:46 am

$3850!!!!!! :shock:

I hope that included a full body resspray and panel!

WOW thats expensive! I almost fell off my chair when I read that!
Have you considered finding a new block to rebuild?

Return to “General”