ENGINE REBUILDS

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

ENGINE REBUILDS

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:57 am

Question, When it comes to having an engine rebuit, Is there any advantage in having the engine already out of the car?

Mine will/would need both the gearbox & engine torn down/inspected/repaired etc. So easier to transport just an engine around rather than with a whole car wrapped around it...

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:18 pm

engine+box needs to come out to strip them down anyways so yes has to some out qustion is do you do it or garage?

most garages range in prices from $50p/h to $90-110 p/h and i say at a guess most garages would put around 6-8 hrs on it to remove+fit,if not a lil more,but if you start haveing rusted bolts,they got to start drilling things spending more time i can get out of hand fast.

if you have the time,and gears do it yourself you'll save a heap of money doing so and you'll know where everything goes and know it done right ect.

cheers,pete.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:31 pm

Started working on the engine tonight, plan to take the sump off & see what I can see etc, Anyways I removed the Intercooler, and as I pulled it from the top of the engine out poured about 200mls of black engine oil :shock: Can't be a good thing? Does this mean oil is being pushed into the carbie or is the carbie sucking in the oil via the turbo?....Still don't really know if I've got a blown piston ring or turbo-related issue... :?

ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:03 pm

T1's and T2's don't run a carburetor =P

Get a compression test done on the engine. That way you'll be able to see if any of the cylinders are under performing due to a leak from within the engine.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:08 am

Do suggest a compression test,

if there is oil in the intercooler that would usually be from the turbo meaning the seals are gone.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:02 pm

Thanks for the advice 8) If you fit a bigger exhaust to this car & dont do that enlarge your wastegate mod, does that put more load on the turbo & cause it to work harder/wear out faster?

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:54 am

It causes the exhaust gasses to possibly ignore the wastegate hole (path of least resistance) and overboost

ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Yeah, essentially what 3GCVC said. You increase the pressure gradient because the exhaust gases after the turbine now flow a lot easier without the restrictive exhaust. Yet the pressure before the turbine remains the same. Therefore you'll be overworking the turbine unless you compensate for it by enlarging the wastegate hole.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks again. Car is going in Tuesday for a compression test etc. but at a better auto place this time 8)

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:15 pm

Ok Turbo is in at Keith McCraken Saab in East Perth, used to get my Honda Legend serviced there many years back.

Compression test came back fine, they are abit miffed as to what is causing the smoke. Like James said they reckon maybe valve stems...bit of metal i got from the sump looked like part of one of them after I saw one. So still nothing 100% definate though really. Not too keen on changing the oil & emptying out my intercooler everytime I want to take it for a drive. :?

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Is the intercooler filling up with oil?

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Yeap it is. took it off the engine and got 200ml of black oil out of it...

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Theres only two ways that can happen, either your turbo is blowing a whole crapload of oil, or the engine is sucking a heap of oil through the breather line.

If the breathers somehow got blocked off, that would force the oil past the turbo seals, or if the turbo oil return got blocked.

If your cylinder bores/piston rings were reaalllly worn that might case enough combustion gas to leak into the sump to pressurize the oil and force it out the turbo too.

Also the turbo oil seals might just be totally stuffed.

But anyway, a decent garage should be able to work out whats wrong.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks will pass that on to the mechanics. It's really the fact that i had a new exhaust fitted, then noticed more smoke, did a oil change and then found that bit of metal. But with the Turbo obvioulsy working and the engine still seemingly running fine ( not knocking, not overheating or using more oil, not down on power etc. ) it's all just confusing.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:58 pm

*SIGHS*

Had the Turbo in for a compression test, result came back ok. They had the car for 3 days, and basically said they couldnt pin down what was causing the smoking & oil buildup problems. SO at least this time it didnt cost me anything..Anyways this place is across town from me, so the car sat outside for 24hrs before i got there to drive it home ( an hour ago ) - Soon as i cranked it I noticed it was vibrating like it never did before, and the exhaust sounded differant. Actually sounded & ran like a Russian tractor :( Didnt see any Turbo operation, could hear it though...had no power at all, top speed was 103 & that was partly due to a downhill section. Didn't smoke though, so that was er..good? No idea what's happened now, have to look at it all tommorrow in the daylight but yeah..Anyone want to buy a modified Unregistered Unlicensed Turbo 2 with a f**ked motor? :shock:

Return to “General”