1988 city not run

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
valkyrie
Forum Participant

1988 city not run

Postby valkyrie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi all. My 5 speed manual city is having a starting and running problem. It is hard to start but it does start. When it starts the idle is low. If I pull the choke it stall. But if I pull the gas cable it runs final when it warm up under several minuate low idle run. Have changed new spark plug but still having the same problem. Take it to drive when temperature is under normal condition, it runs in first gear but if you try to change gear it stall. :shock:

One of my friend told me it could be the idle is too low to keep the engine run?

Any help is appreciated. :P

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:06 pm

A car only needs fuel, spark and compression to run. So its one of those. Could be a blown head gasket, do a compression test.

Could be a stuffed ignition coil, transistor unit, or ignition lead, you can test those too.

Doesn't sound like the idle is just too low.

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Re: 1988 city not run

Postby spangleking » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:54 am

try air cleaner inspection or replace and see if it improves?

valkyrie wrote:Hi all. My 5 speed manual city is having a starting and running problem. It is hard to start but it does start. When it starts the idle is low. If I pull the choke it stall. But if I pull the gas cable it runs final when it warm up under several minuate low idle run. Have changed new spark plug but still having the same problem. Take it to drive when temperature is under normal condition, it runs in first gear but if you try to change gear it stall. :shock:

One of my friend told me it could be the idle is too low to keep the engine run?

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spangleking » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:58 am

adjust carb idle under the aircleaner where the linkages are.

If in doubt pull linkage rod and engine will rev up...

Should be a small adjusting knob there somewhere.

Check mixture settings or get garage to do it for you

best of luck man...

valkyrie wrote:Hi all. My 5 speed manual city is having a starting and running problem. It is hard to start but it does start. When it starts the idle is low. If I pull the choke it stall. But if I pull the gas cable it runs final when it warm up under several minuate low idle run. Have changed new spark plug but still having the same problem. Take it to drive when temperature is under normal condition, it runs in first gear but if you try to change gear it stall. :shock:

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spangleking » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:59 am

watch your hands on the fan blades if the engine is left running too...we dont want any digits flying about

spangleking wrote:adjust carb idle under the aircleaner where the linkages are.

If in doubt pull linkage rod and engine will rev up...

Should be a small adjusting knob there somewhere.

Check mixture settings or get garage to do it for you

best of luck man...

Return to “General”