HKS EVC 3 review for city turbo 2.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
bmgjet
Donating Member

HKS EVC 3 review for city turbo 2.

Postby bmgjet » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Bought this off 3GCVC Yesterday (10/2/11) and so far spent hour on the dyno setting it up and hour on the road testing it.

Hose pipes are shorter then 30cm each and I decided to mount the solenoid on the inside of the car by running the vac/boostin/boosout hoses though the firewall hole by where the turbo is. This is the shortest combination I could set up. Other then mounting inside the engine bay on the firewall next to the turbo. But mounting it such as that would put it at risk if a engine mount were to ever let go.

Its been earthed with a wire which you can just see in the picture above and its been stuck to the inside firewall with molding tape. Which would pull the sound deadening off before the solenoid fall off.

The control unit was then mounted by the coin tray next to my turbo timer.
For power I tapped into the ignition wire from the turbo timer and it was grounded to the firewall for earth.

The fuzzy logic had already been programmed so I tried it like that and set high boost for 1bar low boost for stock. It ended up showing a error in the ecu for map sensor which was strange so then I decided to reset everything and re-teach it the fuzzy logic thing.

So I went down to the dyno and followed the instructions.
3rd gear 1000rpm to full boost. I did that and and re-set high boost for 1 bar then took it for a road test. It would reach the set amount of boost then drop back down to stock then back up to 1 bar over and over. So I had another read though the manual. Manual didn't mention anything of use so I cleared its memory again and went back on the dyno to teach it again. The only thing I could come up with was that the turbo spools very quickly it might not be leaning the curve properly so I tried 4th instead of 3rd and started at 800rpm.

After doing this I set it up again for high boost and took it for another test drive. It worked a lot better this time with just having a initial spike to 15psi before dropping back down to 14. But it managed to keep the waste gate closed right to the last moment so its reaching full boost a lot sooner (2800rpm) and feels like its got twice the pull.

Ill add the dyno sheets when works not so busy and I can use the scanner with out interrupting any one.

But it pretty much is like this.
Stock boost with unit off.
71wkw 12psi reached at 3200rpm max power 5600rpm then drops.
Stock boost with unit on.
71wkw 12psi reached at 2600rpm max power 5400rpm-5600rpm then drops.
14psi with unit on. Runs between 14-15psi
80wkw 15psi reached at 2800rpm max power 5500rpm-5600rpm then drops.
With old controller 14psi
79wkw 14psi reached at 2800rpm max power 5500rpm-5600rpm then drops.
With racepro boost tap 15psi (spikes to 16psi) Note 1
79wkw 16psi reached at 3000rpm max power 5600rpm then drops.
Diy bleeder 14psi
Didnt have it on dyno but reached 14psi 3600rpm and spiked like mad so was throwen out same day.

Fuel cut is set at 16.3psi according to the lma3 data-logging.

So the EVC 3 looks like a good investment for a city turbo. Only improvements would be to get rid of that initial spike but that appears to be from the waste gate being to slow to react. It only effects 1st and 2nd gear tho. There may be some setting for it to crack open the waste gate sooner but I haven't found it yet and will be doing more research into it.

Dyno sheets will be added Monday if its not busy at work.

---
Note 1
Race-pro boost tap needed to be modified before it would work on the city. The ball bearing in the T piece seemed to be seized and I had to open it up and trim the spring. Then put it back together and push on the ball bearing with a small screw driver a few times before it would work and not just over boost. And it also needed to be adjusted daily since it would some how start reading lower and lower boost until it was wound fully closed then opened again.

-------

Review done by BMGJET 10th/11th February 2011.
No speed limits were broken in the testing of this unit.
A rolling road was the dyno type used.
Different setups may net different results.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Just something I thought of, perhaps try changing that "plastic hose" line from the solenoid's map sensor to a silicone or rubber one. Years ago I had that same type of pipe for a boost gauge and it used to completely collapse from the vacuum / heat and may be effecting the signal to the EVC's map sensor.

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spangleking » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:46 am

CAN YOU TUNE MY CAR ( :

Return to “General”