City T2 ECU Reverse Engineering Mk2

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Think its my fuel pump stuffing up and not providing enough pressure since the stock ecu flooded it again while starting the car to head home.
Its also making a weird noise at part throttle.

So ill swap the VL fuel pump iv got into it tomorrow.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:14 pm

Ah yeah makes sense.

bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Going to be buying the spare LC-2 from work tomorrow so ill chuck that on the city and see how high I can take the boost before it leans out. Will also be able to play around with the fuel maps and see what effect they have.

On another note the T1 turbo iv got on it at the moment is only boosting 8psi with the boost controller off so im going to have to check out whats up with that.

bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Been having a look though the assembly, amazed how much you have commented already.

Looks like it would be quite simple to disable a few of the error codes.
Such as O2.
The function for launch control is almost already there in the code.
45kph speed trigger could lower that to 20kph then use the 3999rpm trigger and speed trigger to jump to the injector cut off.

Altho ignition cut would be better but havnt found anything in the code for that yet.

Iv got a DIY hardware launch control that iv posted on NZH might add it to the gc project if i find the time.

---

Wont be doing any work on the city since its raining and I dont feel like getting wet.

bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Tried doing some more on this but from my problem it looks like the city ecu will require a socket booster.

With out the laptop plugged in it wont start off the ostrich at all. (Runs off chip alright) and with it plugged into the laptop it starts it but it wont idle and has few other problems.

So im going to have to look into that and take some measurements from the socket while its plugged in.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:30 pm

This is sweet!

The ECU I originally got from you James wouldn't run my city at all, didnt try switching it while it was warm though.

Brendan do you need any ignition timing control like I have in my city the HKS EGC? I have a spare.

I got my city into position to do some more work on it soon and installed a WBo2 seems to be running quite rich at idle 9.1 or so but I will see what sort of tuneability I can get out of it with the HKS FCON.

bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Im fine for ignition control at the moment. Im done with the T1 ecu also so can drop that back to you when ever.

Id be interested in seeing what the fcon can do when you have a play with it.

Charles
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Charles » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Try adjusting the idle mixture adjuster you'll find it in the black box but you only need to remove the rubber stopper to stick in a small screwdriver.

James

Postby James » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:20 am

How does the HKS do ignition adjustment? Does it go in between the ignitor and the ignition coil?

From factory the city has very basic carburettor-style ignition control. Advance is totally handled by the vacuum advance/boost retard module, and the sprung weights in the distributer.

If you wanted to control ignition, either a programmable ignition controller, or a cheap ECU like a megasquirt are probably the best bets.

Charles
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Charles » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:09 am

Nice work guys. Has any one worked out the out put for the cvcc injector? Does it pulse or is it continuous. I remember testing it ages ago when I checked the standard injectors. It had a flow rate of about 45 cc min compared to about 190cc/min for the standard injectors. The flow pattern is a single stream like that of a carb jet not like a standard spray fir an injector. I always assumed it would be a voltage output rather than a Pyle however it is run off the resistor pack. Any clues?

bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 am

James wrote:How does the HKS do ignition adjustment? Does it go in between the ignitor and the ignition coil?

From factory the city has very basic carburettor-style ignition control. Advance is totally handled by the vacuum advance/boost retard module, and the sprung weights in the distributer.

If you wanted to control ignition, either a programmable ignition controller, or a cheap ECU like a megasquirt are probably the best bets.

I believe it works like a boost controller does.
Has a electronic valve on the vac lines going to the dizzy and adjusts how much vac/boost it reads,

----

Havnt gotten around to doing any more yet since iv very busy moving house.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:13 am

James wrote:How does the HKS do ignition adjustment? Does it go in between the ignitor and the ignition coil?

The HKS unit has a 2.5bar map sensor and wires in at the ignition coil. you remove the wire from the dizzy and connect it to the hks unit, from there it goes through the unit the unit makes adjustments live depending on the vac / boost and settings on the unit then sends the signal back to the wire which connects to the coil.

It also goes through a CDi ignition amplifier unit before the coil.

With this unit you could completely remove the rev advance weights and the boost retard units from the dizzy and completely remap the ignition advance / retard curve.

James

Postby James » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Charles wrote:Nice work guys. Has any one worked out the out put for the cvcc injector? Does it pulse or is it continuous. I remember testing it ages ago when I checked the standard injectors. It had a flow rate of about 45 cc min compared to about 190cc/min for the standard injectors. The flow pattern is a single stream like that of a carb jet not like a standard spray fir an injector. I always assumed it would be a voltage output rather than a Pyle however it is run off the resistor pack. Any clues?

It pulses once for each injector firing (they fire sequentially), approximately the same kind of pulse length I think (I did know at one stage). So it pulses 4x as often as the other injectors, maybe not just coincidental that its 1/4 the flow...

3GCVC wrote:The HKS unit has a 2.5bar map sensor and wires in at the ignition coil. you remove the wire from the dizzy and connect it to the hks unit, from there it goes through the unit the unit makes adjustments live depending on the vac / boost and settings on the unit then sends the signal back to the wire which connects to the coil.

It also goes through a CDi ignition amplifier unit before the coil.

With this unit you could completely remove the rev advance weights and the boost retard units from the dizzy and completely remap the ignition advance / retard curve.

Thats exactly what I was planning to build, are there many around?

bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 am

Been messing around trying to get some more features into the rom.

But iv noticed something weird.
Even recompiling the stock clean code there a a few bits that are 1 lower.

Such as comparing my compiled vs the orignal.
The orignal will have
B2

my compiled one will have
B1

bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:34 am

Dont know if its a quirk of the assembler but tried pasting just the modified bit into the stock bin on the code project.

Doesnt throw and CEL but injectors just never engage so im guessing there might be some checksum thats required or else it disables injectors.

Return to “General”