ED Civic Brake Upgrade.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
rutager
Forum Participant

ED Civic Brake Upgrade.

Postby rutager » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:23 am

I recently upgraded my brakes to ED civic items, Much bigger and vented too. The stock ones are, lets be honest here, farkin shithouse. They'll fade as soon as you look at them. The civic items however are spectacular and with some decent heavy duty pads I still haven't managed to get them to give even on the hairiest of 2am downhills :P

The upgrade its self really is a piece of piss. It's a straight bolt on, except the disc fouls on the hub so it needs to be spaced out by about 3mm. Any decent machine shop should be able to whip one up fairly cheaply and easily. I had a mate machine down a set of 3mm hub spacers. I cant remember the exact measurement but its the internal diameter of the disc. The lines are the same fitting, everything is the same.

I have missed things before so if anyone can see something I may have wrong please point it out and I'll go check it. Preliminary findings are positive though. The only problem I've come across is a slight shudder in the brakes under really light braking. If I just touch the pedal it gives a slight little wobble through the steering wheel. Nothing major, I assume its something to do with the discs which were rat shit wrecker specials for me to play with :P I did have them machined but they were quite bad to start with. I didnt expect it to be as easy as it was, really simple job.

Its a good upgrade that I would recommend to any city owner.

twin_c's
Forum Participant

Postby twin_c's » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:41 pm

i would try some new rotors and see if the shutter goes away. if it is still present i would say that there is some extreme runout somewhere (probably the spacer not sitting flat) take it to a brake shop for them to look at and get there opinion. all in all thank you for the info

civic_zr
Forum Participant

Postby civic_zr » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Nice upgrade!

I just fitted some 1st Generation CR-X ones to my car. They are noticeably better, and an ok match for the tiny old City master cylinder. Direct bolt on to if you use the 1G CR-X Discs.

rutager
Forum Participant

Postby rutager » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks guys! :) I'll have a look one day, it's not a major worry for me and considering the whole lot cost me <$200 I can't complain, I was gonna spend nearly half that just to renew the old seals and put some new pads in.

Now its just a matter of sorting out some sway bars :S The little rocket holds on like a champ in the twisties but it feels like I'm taking corners on a 45 degree angle some times haha. One of these days...

twin_c's
Forum Participant

Postby twin_c's » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:32 pm

rutager wrote:Thanks guys! :) I'll have a look one day, it's not a major worry for me and considering the whole lot cost me <$200 I can't complain, I was gonna spend nearly half that just to renew the old seals and put some new pads in.

Now its just a matter of sorting out some sway bars :S The little rocket holds on like a champ in the twisties but it feels like I'm taking corners on a 45 degree angle some times haha. One of these days...

no probs i had to pay $205 just for pads and rotors for my city back in October. i run 185/60r13's on 5-1/2 rims on mine and i agree its stick to the road like glue but the body roll is nuts i'll be fitting bars in the future. btw if you want some more clearance on the rear guards standard 84 prelude rear springs work a treat and there are of heavier duty as well

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:59 am

This upgrade will only work on T2's and late NA cities as T1s and the early cars had a different caliper bolt spacing pattern,

T1s need to upgrade to T2 hubs and lower control arms to do it.

Also basically all 84-87 Civic and CRX, 85-87 AV Integra, 83-85 AB Prelude Some of the EF brakes as well.

Master cylinder size is the tough part.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Check that your brake disc still engages on the raised section in the center of the hub. This is important for making sure the brake disc stays concentric to the rotation of the wheel! If it isn't that may be your source of shudder.

Return to “General”