cam gear

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
twin_c's
Forum Participant

cam gear

Postby twin_c's » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 pm

hi all

just wondering if the cam gear of an eb1,2or3 or any other e series motor would fit the standard cam on a city. this is because the civic 1200 cam gear can be easily modified into an adjustable gear using a piece of plate and bolts (found on http://www.1stgencivic.com/1stgeneratio ... build1.htm). If not how hard would it be to convert the standard item into a adjustable (I'm guessing pretty hard considering the thickness of the pulley).

aja540i
Forum Participant

Postby aja540i » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:20 am

I made an adjustable cam gear from a std city cam gear, piece of cake! I haven't tried it yet but if it works I will do some more and sell them hopefully.
Cost will be around $100.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Probably some fairly easy options around for getting an adjustable cam gear.

The only reason for having an adjustable cam gear on a SOHC engine is to return the cam timing to standard if you have milled thickness out of the head to flatten it or to increase compression - it can be out by a fair bit if you have gone crazy.

twin_c's
Forum Participant

Postby twin_c's » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:54 pm

as mentioned in the link I posted an adjustable pulley will not only return the cam timing to standard but if you adjust the timing you can alter power band on a sohc ( advancing the cam you gain mid range power with a loss of top end and retarting the cam gives more top end with a loss of mid range pull)

bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:11 am

Thats quite spot on. For testing with D series SOHC, 1 degrees moves the power band around 1800rpms. So there wouldnt be much point retarding it since the head's dont flow well enough to make any power up there anyway. But advancing might make it a lot nicer to drive around town with more low torque.

Return to “General”