OBD1 Conversion?

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
civic_zr
Forum Participant

OBD1 Conversion?

Postby civic_zr » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Anyone gone down this route? I haven't even pulled the dizzy out yet to investigate the shaft... but has anyone looked into the possibility of converting a city turbo to obd0, or obd1.

Reasons - tuneablity, our ecu's are somewhat archaic, controlling only fuel levels. And wow wouldn't it be great to safely ditch that vacuum box of doom.

What would be needed. Custom plug on interior loom. OBD1 dizzy, alterations to tps and map sensors / their wiring, obviously obd1 ecu that was chipped to allow for tuning.

Anyone have any input? James, bmgjet?

bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:34 am

Will need a custom dizzy.
Need to ditch the CVCC (mate up a non-cvcc head and manifolds)
The OBD0/1 Map/ECT/IAT/ICV/Speedo sensors.
Along with the obvious wiring changes.

For all the effort you could just drop in a D series which will make more power in stock + turbo form then a worked city turbo engine ever would.
Hell even dropping in a bike engine like VFR1200F engine would be a massive upgrade over the very limited city turbo engine.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:37 am

I started collecting the parts for it, I have a chipped odb1 ECU and a dizzy that looks like it would fit without too much drama, you probably swap to a single MAP setup, and youd have to run a few new wires for the dizzy.

Unsure how you would deal with CVCC...

As bmgjet says, it would make more sense to swap the whole engine over. If you're really attached to the ER engine then a piggyback ignition controller and messing around with the city maps in the ROM would probably be the best bet.

Return to “General”