Another D16

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Another D16

Postby DR86 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi guys, my D16 transplant.

I wrote up this a fancy post to detail how this all came about, but went to review my post it spat me out to log in again :x

So I'll just put it out there. Pics;

Before

No hard feelings?

Sniff, you treated me well

Old mount gone, no turning back...
Last edited by DR86 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Postby DR86 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:35 pm

Trial fit, scary...

Yay or nay?

Mount mock up

Mount done-ish, still want to add gussets and extra bit on the bottom of mount when I remove engine again to paint the bay

Driveshaft, angled a bit cos I never checked :roll:

Straight down the shaft

turbocab
Donating Member

Re: Another D16

Postby turbocab » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:38 pm

DR86 wrote:Hi guys, my D16 transplant.

I wrote up this a fancy post to detail how this all came about, but went to review my post it spat me out to log in again :x

Damn it I hate when that happens,if I'm posting something that takes a while to type up I always click copy before I post just incase.i don't take failure well :cry:

pheonix

REMOVED.

Postby pheonix » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:47 pm

REMOVED.
Last edited by pheonix on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Postby DR86 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:57 pm

My crankshaft pulley hole hehe, 'it's factory, officer, look at the hole!'

DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Postby DR86 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:13 pm

Making that step out bit for the chassis rail gearbox side

Bolts welded on with glorious gassless wire

Mocked in with a magnet till I get more welding gas

That's about it until then folks.

bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Coming along nicely. Im so over working on cars at the moment now after a 1 day gearbox rebuild and hd clutch/pressure plate job ended up taking 3 days and having to take gearbox in out 4 times with lots of modifying to the bell housing.

But will be keeping a eye on this thread for when I eventually swap the d13 vtec turbo into the city.

DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Postby DR86 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:30 pm

bmgjet wrote:Coming along nicely. Im so over working on cars at the moment now after a 1 day gearbox rebuild and hd clutch/pressure plate job ended up taking 3 days and having to take gearbox in out 4 times with lots of modifying to the bell housing.

But will be keeping a eye on this thread for when I eventually swap the d13 vtec turbo into the city.

Hey thanks mate, I'm out of a job at the moment so got a lot of spare time but not a lot of money! Life eh? I need all the encouragement I can get at the moment as I have a shit welder and lack funds for good materials.

This is my first conversion, yes it has its learning curves but I find this easier than sorting out my bloody tax!

What was the gearbox job? In your city or some other car? I know that if I ever have to do anything to the gearbox in mine now I might have to take the whole lot out. Oh well, easier to work on out of the engine bay anyway...

D13 yeah? Is that the same one out of the ga city or that crazy short stroke thing? Anyways sounds good mate and the more conversions getting done the better IMO, love the old ER but not enough potential for me. If it was more like the d13 (shorter stroke etc) then I'd never swap it. but I want to scare my mate in his hsv senator 307, always going on how much he beat me by in my old setup ( I never had a chance against 6 litres and better grip!!) but I may not get any traction with this too...

Looking at getting some coilovers like turbocabs, might make things better.

bmgjet
Donating Member

Postby bmgjet » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Iv got a build log of it over in nzh in the blog section.
But here is the jist.
Got a Auto EG8 for free that had been crashed.
Box and block were stuffed from being crashed.
So got a D13B block and used the D15b vtec head on it.
Then paired that to a s20 b000 gearbox with factory D16 vtec stuff I got second hand from a guy doing a B16 swap.

It has a good stroke rod ration so revs 8.5Krp happily and hasn't let go yet after about 30,000Ks, made 55wkw on the dyno at my work which is 10kw less then dobsons dyno hub one. So was making around 100hp at the fly with the stock d15 intake and exhaust.

Not bad when compared to factory power of D15b vtec is 130hp and factory power of d13 65.1hp

That kept me happy for 3 years since it went very well and was only just a bit slower then the city in a partly stripped EG8 (around the track/hill climbs).

I was starting to buy parts for my D16 swap into the city and ended up sticking the turbo parts on the D13 instead and it goes really nuts so iv just been spending more money on it till I get it how I like or reach its limit then swap it into the city and d16 turbo the eg.

Turbo is a T3/T4 60trim so its very big for the d13, Comes on boost 4.5krpm and easily spins up 3rd gear once its got through the lag.
That was on 4psi, I was in the process of trying to tune on 6psi when the clutch started slipping. Stock d15 clutch can normally hold up to 200hp.

Dont want to share the power figures yet since I reach my goal or 10psi limit before I give it away but on 5psi it was making the same as most people get from 7psi on d15bs.

So got a 2000lb pressure plate and 3 puk clutch.
Got it all together after rebuilding a noisy input shaft bearing and welding a crack and the pressure plate was jamming on the fins inside the gearbox. Didnt know till I got it together and it was seized so wouldn't start.. So out it came for the 2nd time. Then test fitted it and it was spinning freely until put some load on it then it was hitting on the hex bolt for the 5th to reverse lock out. So out it came for the 3rd time to grind the bolt down. Then lastly had to come out again because it would still slightly knock.

While all the time I had to move the car in and out off the hoist for work jobs to be completed (services)

I don't feel to safe about the gearbox, it will probably explode at some point so now Im looking for another box so I can make up a spacer out of the S20 so I dont have to chop the new box. Shouldn't be a problem with putting it all in the city since the D13 block is shorter and a little bit narrower as well.

Sorry for thread jacking we will keep it on topic from now on but if you want to know any more just PM me or post on my build thread.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:20 pm

That drivers side mount I was planning to fit 90 deg to how you have done it

DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Postby DR86 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:25 pm

bmgjet wrote:
Sorry for thread jacking we will keep it on topic from now on but if you want to know any more just PM me or post on my build thread.

Nah no worries bro it's still a conversion that you plan on doing, more info out here the better for us all I think. That sounds like a mean setup though, hope you sort through that gearbox issue and enjoy the car more, especially when it's in the city!!!

[/quote]

DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Postby DR86 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:27 pm

turbocab wrote:That drivers side mount I was planning to fit 90 deg to how you have done it

How do you mean? Like the two bolts on the top instead? I just copied bartek's one, if it worked for him I should be happy maybe

DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Postby DR86 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Yay got my redundancy Monet and start a new job Monday!! New-old welder coming my way (a BOC unit this time round) and more argon (cos I have a tig as well and I don't care if it's a waste of money using it with a mig too, got the ally intake to weld too btw) so watch this space!!!

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:30 pm

DR86 wrote:
turbocab wrote:That drivers side mount I was planning to fit 90 deg to how you have done it

How do you mean? Like the two bolts on the top instead? I just copied bartek's one, if it worked for him I should be happy maybe

Yeah on closer inspection I see what you are doin there.

DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Postby DR86 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Engine is in and mounted, I would show pics but a few things are pretty ghetto. But try and move the engine and the whole car moves back and forth (cos the handbrake wasn't fully up!) engine doesn't move a bit. Maybe half a millimetre. At least its back on the ground and manoeuvrable as witnessed by Pheonix on the forum here. Now it's time make up the gearbox linkages, mod the sway bar, ecu engine harness l, etc... :(

Return to “General”