T2 Cabriolet

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
T2CABRIOLET
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

T2 Cabriolet

Postby T2CABRIOLET » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:23 pm

I own a City Turbo 2 Cabriolet (they do exist), but she's got no power. Any idea where I could take it to have the problem diagnosed?
I live in Melbourne and can't find a mechanic who is familiar with the T2's. Would like to get her running at her potential again...
Cheers any :idea:

crispy
Forum Regular

Re: T2 Cabriolet

Postby crispy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Any chance of some more info about the problem? has it been losing power for a while or has it just suddenly happened?
Does it have a boost gauge? is it making boost at all? does it just feel very slow or does it cough and splutter?

Not sure about factory T2 cabrios, but that is not relevant to your question :P

T2CABRIOLET

Postby T2CABRIOLET » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:52 am

Used to belong to a friend of mine and she used to fly. I've had it for maybe 7 years and since I've owned it it's been gutless. .
And it is a factory T2 Cab.. very rare, even has the cover that goes over the passenger compartments you can clip on (option) whiledriving with the top down..
I just don't want to spend money on mechanics to look her over and not know what the problem is, cos she drives fine, had a compression test and that was good. Guess it could simply be that the turbo is worn?
Anyway, know any mechanics that are familiar with the T2?
:-)

crispy
Forum Regular

Postby crispy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:42 am

Well, i'll assume the engine is the same layout as a standard T2.
If compression is good, that is a good start, the engine should be fine and i would be pointing towards boost issues.

Does it make any odd noises when you push it hard? like whistling or whooshing air? do you have a boost gauge (pretty sure the T2 has an inbuilt one in the bottom left corner, does it come up past half way at all?)

Possible causes that come to mind are: dead turbo (worst case), loose piping, waste gate stuck open, something ECU related mayhaps?

I have no idea about Melb mechanics as i'm Perth based, sorry.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Any pics of it mate?
Could it be my old one

T2CABRIOLET

Postby T2CABRIOLET » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Yep, got pics...
No options to upload pics on CityTurbo.com??
Why would you think it was your old one? If it was - why did you sell it??
:-)

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Put the pics on photobucket and cut and paste the img code.
Had one years ago and a much cleaner t2 came up for sale so I bought it and sold the cabriolet .it made sense at the time because I originally wanted a t2 anyway and didn't have the room or funds to keep both,wish I had.
Sold it to a Lebanese gentleman called Lenny I assume it got thrashed broken and forgotten about.but I always hold out hope of seeing it again.
There is a good chance that your car is not factory turbo,as yet it has not been confirmed that they were ever produced by honda.
Chances are you will not find a mechanic that knows turbo city's but anyone who knows 80s turbo cars should be able to sort it out.
Matt

T2CABRIOLET

Postby T2CABRIOLET » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:03 pm

oooooh
Last edited by T2CABRIOLET on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:18 pm

T2CABRIOLET wrote:It's not your old Cabriolet - sorry. Like I mentioned, this is a factory Turbo 2 Cabriolet. They came out in a very limited edition and are extremely rare

Would you be able to explain what makes you so certain it's a factory T2 cabriolet?

There has always been rumors, but no hard evidence that they existed.

T2CABRIOLET

Postby T2CABRIOLET » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Hang on...
First of all, what do you think - do ya like it? :-)

T2CABRIOLET

Postby T2CABRIOLET » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:01 pm

The Honda Beat

Classic and Vintage Honda and Acura Vehicle History

"Very few City turbos were also released as a cabriolet model (most cabriolets are not turbo charged but still have the flared guard body kit typical of the Turbo 11)."

Read the article - http://www.hondabeat.com/history.php

T2CABRIOLET

Postby T2CABRIOLET » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Honda City Cabriolet
The Honda City Turbo was introduced in September 1982. It was powered by a turbocharged version of the 1231 cc Honda ER engine. A Pininfarina designed drop-top Cabriolet utilized the wider fenders and bigger bumpers of the Turbo II "Bulldog", but was "only normally" available with the naturally aspirated 67 PS (49 kW) engine. There was also a Pro-series of van versions with either two or four seats. A high-roof "R Manhattan Roof" version with a 10 cm taller roof also appeared.

"only normally" not "only"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_City

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Looks very clean and unmolested.nice find
Basically I got rid of my cab for a number of reasons,as I already said I wanted a t2,had no space for two city's,had no money to keep 2 registered.
Even after buying a better replacement the roof leaked,
The chassis is far less rigid in the cabriolet.
And we must admit they are just a bit girly.
And for what I wanted the hardtop was the best choice.

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:31 pm

T2CABRIOLET wrote:The Honda Beat

Classic and Vintage Honda and Acura Vehicle History

"Very few City turbos were also released as a cabriolet model (most cabriolets are not turbo charged but still have the flared guard body kit typical of the Turbo 11)."

Read the article - http://www.hondabeat.com/history.php

That's pretty much a copy of Wikipedia.

T2CABRIOLET wrote:Honda City Cabriolet
The Honda City Turbo was introduced in September 1982. It was powered by a turbocharged version of the 1231 cc Honda ER engine. A Pininfarina designed drop-top Cabriolet utilized the wider fenders and bigger bumpers of the Turbo II "Bulldog", but was "only normally" available with the naturally aspirated 67 PS (49 kW) engine. There was also a Pro-series of van versions with either two or four seats. A high-roof "R Manhattan Roof" version with a 10 cm taller roof also appeared.

"only normally" not "only"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_City

The wiki is taken from info on this site (some of it stuff i uploaded from various sources), only one very old member has ever mentioned that they came as turbo.

Having collected a lot of material on the Cities including a lot of the original sales material I have NEVER seen a single example mentioning a factory turbo cabriolet.

I don't believe they ever existed.

However if we look at what after market turners are like, I think we can safely assume that at one point a a turner in Japan would have dropped a turbo engine into a cabriolet. Or someone on there own. It only takes one of these to be imported into another country and then a rumor starts from there.

Anyway good luck with your car, enjoy it :)

Return to “General”