Cheap radiator hose replacement: Top and Bottom hoses!

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
crispy
Forum Regular

Cheap radiator hose replacement: Top and Bottom hoses!

Postby crispy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Here is one nifty trick the auto companies don't want you to know! (no, seriously, this is very very handy to know and i'm glad i looked into it)

So the bottom hose in my ProT decided it didn't like the world so much anymore and started leaking. I jimmied the rad cap to not build up pressure and have been driving it like that the last few weeks trying to sort out getting a new hose because they want to charge over $50 for a new one, not to mention buying a replacement top as well.

I did a little research and found that the standard hoses are 27mm ID with the bottom hose 480mm long and the top being ~220mm but both have a moulded curve to them which makes replacing them with straight hose almost impossible. This is where it gets good. I scoured the rad hose catalog and found a hose which you can cut up and replace BOTH hoses at once!
The hose is 26mm ID (stretches over easy enough), 770mm long and happens to have pretty much the exact bends we need.
The hose is for a 2000-05 Honda Insight Hybrid. Mackays part number CH4547, Veales part number RAH4547.
This cost me only $30.

All you do is make a clean cut approx. 2/3 the way along. *****NOTE: Please double check and measure against your own hoses, my estimate is a ROUGH GUIDE.*****

gruss
Forum Participant

Re: Cheap radiator hose replacement: Top and Bottom hoses!

Postby gruss » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:39 am

Definitely one neat trick!
I might grab a spare next time I'm out at the auto shop :)

Return to “General”