First timer to Citys

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
soongster
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

First timer to Citys

Postby soongster » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi guys, honda fan boy here, owned my fair share of late to early 90's honda, mainly eg 2s & 8.

However, am heading out this weekend to look at a Pro-T. First time looking at one. What should I look out for other than rust? I honestly have no clue when it comes to the city.

Its a 1984 2 door. i guess its a carby? anyone got some extra info on one with a 1984 build year?

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Re: First timer to Citys

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:16 pm

Rust at the tops of the front shock mounts & bottoms of the front a pillars/under the wipers area...most I see have bad rust in these spots..really soft/bouncy suspension, cos new shocks are hard to find.

soongster

Postby soongster » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:38 am

What about engine transplants? what slots right in other than the turbo version?

ive seen turbocabs D conversion, but with some fabrication and gentle persuasion with the mallet.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:15 am

The engines actually run very strong & last very well. If you have the skills & a decent garage/welder then do a swap. If your buying a car you should be making sure it runs/shifts really well. My Red T1 looked rough-as inside-outside when I bought it, but the engine/gearbox - Important bits - ran Perfectly, which is what you want.

soongster

Postby soongster » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:43 pm

All good. hope to see me driving one home tomorrow!

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Cool Hey just noticed your in Perth WA? should come along to one of our PHC Honda Club meets! More City's the better, usually just me..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/PHC-Pert ... 6364727738

soongster

Postby soongster » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:57 am

so i couldnt get a hold of the seller over the weekend.. texted and called but no reply.

I am one city down... will have to wait until the next one pop up. Hopefully a turbo 2

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:17 am

There's 2 Red Manual City's on Gumtree in WA, non turbo's. The $1300 silver T2 has sold already...becoming rarer & rarer to see Turbo ones for sale around the place. Whereabouts in WA are you? What's your budget?

soongster

Postby soongster » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:30 am

the 2 red city's are actually the same car. Just one with more pics, and it's an auto :(

Yeah I missed out on the silver rattlecanned one. Kinda bummed...

I'm SOR - willetton area. I don't want to be spending heaps on the city - looking for a restore project. Just as long as engine & body is good. Don't care much about interior & paint. I'm sort of mechanically sufficient, so minor problems are ok. I don't know anything about welding - so rust is a deal breaker for me.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:49 am

All the ones I've seen/owned in WA have had rust :p it's just a question of how bad. My T1 has some nasty spots, I've just cut it out & blasted the area with rust convert & fresh paint, then covered it up with tape basically. You can see what I'm talking about on my Turbo Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Honda-Ci ... izard=true

I've bought a welder & one day will actually get stuck into actually using it. A guy in WA messaged me about a T2 he wanted to see, but was unregistered & had a engine swap. dunno if it's still around or not.

soongster

Postby soongster » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:57 pm

that T2 you mentioned had a N/A engine swap done. Not sure what engine - didn't get around inspecting it. It's been sold since then. No idea who to.

"covered it up with tape" lol....

ohhhh.. i see you have a T1 & T2... (not that i know how to differentiate between the two!).. are you looking at offloading one? :P

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:10 pm

JDM Honda Speed Tape yeap. No point fiberglassing/bog if I'm going to weld in metal. Currently no plans to sell, But I do have a pommy mate up in the hills with 2 white Turbo 2's that may part with one. If someone waved $7000 cash at me I'd have to seriously think about selling the T2...my red T1 is my current project so still having fun fixing it up, that'd be around $3000. There's a mice T2 over east for sale...he's dropped $1000 off it recently..prolly still overpriced but if you own one already it's good to see the price going up for a change :)

soongster

Postby soongster » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:25 pm

hah. I guess I'll have to wait till another one pops up. No point getting a good one and call it a restore project :)
yeah kinda overpriced, but i guess you cant put a price on cars like these!

I can just hope one pops up soon!

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Hold out for a turbo 2!
And as far as welding goes buy a $800 ebay mig and practice.im self taught

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:58 pm

I waited a year for my t2 to pop up, and was looking on & off for the past 2 yrs till I found the t1, & it was there literally a day before I was about to buy a non-turbo city.

Return to “General”