What to do....

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
foo
Forum Participant

What to do....

Postby foo » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what path to take with my City's.

I have a T1 (previously owned by crooky and AnimaLector) which was running ok maybe a year or two ago, but hasn't run for ages. Last time I tried to start it I burnt out the starter (like an idiot). It's missing the ignition cluster thanks to a break-in (hotwires just fine) and is now showing some rust that looks like it might be getting serious around the front strut towers.

I also have an N/A City Pro-T which has good bodywork (but v tired struts/springs), and hasn't run for many years. Over the years I've pilfered bits and pieces off it for the T1 (chair rails, igniter/distributor etc).

I'm finally at a point where I can probably put a bit of time into them but I have to move house so would have to transport them both and I don't know how much money and effort I can afford to sink into either one. I'm sort of thinking that keeping the N/A as parts for the T1 might be worth it but it might not be worth hanging on to since I'll have to pay to move it. Doing a motor swap or something (since the N/A;s body is good) is beyond my experience or my motivation at this stage.

Any advice would be welcome. I don't know what sort of price a non-running T1 (or an N/A for that matter) is likely to fetch, I am tempted to keep the T1 and sell off the N/A but maybe it's worth keeping them both for parts - or selling them both and being done with it.

Specifically...

• Is rust around the front strut towers a serious problem that's hard/expensive to fix?
  • What's a Pro-T that doesn't run but has little to no rust go for these days?
  • What's a project T1 that doesn't run and has body rust go for these days?
  • Is a Pro-T worth hanging on to for T1 parts or is it really not worth it?

billProT1985
Forum Participant

Re: What to do....

Postby billProT1985 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:53 am

Hi mate would you have a front left indicator/park light lense you would sell me?

A few months ago I picked up my 1985 pro t very good condition and low kms with 3 months rego for $1k he was asking $1500 drives really well and still get about 450kms to a tank of fuel lol, so depending on the condition and if it runs etc you might get $400-$500

foo
Forum Participant

Postby foo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:30 pm

Cheers - I ended up getting them transported to my new place and they'll be long-term projects, so no spare bits, sorry :-)

City traffic:Image

By the way City's odo only goes up to 99,999km so very hard to know actual mileage - never know how many times it's been right through :-)

billProT1985
Forum Participant

Postby billProT1985 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:45 am

Ok cool, must be cheering you only need 1 tow truck lol I bought the car off an old lady who had the car from new and was on stands for 15 years because she couldnt drive, car has no rust interior is very neat with the original deck even if it did clock over say once I don't care it's still in top condition for its age il take a few pics of it and put them up

billProT1985
Forum Participant

Postby billProT1985 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:07 pm

https://goo.gl/photos/14SGaW9oXagXfUX57

The only thing I've don't so far is 15% tint I want to do do something with the engine like put some bike carbs on it or later on do an engine swap

foo
Forum Participant

Postby foo » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Yeah, was very glad to get them both on one trip. Gave the guy the bumper-to-bumper measurement first so we were fairly confident.

Sounds like you scored a pretty good deal there on the Pro-T, looks like a very tidy unit!

Best change I made on my T was to put 14" accord rims on it and change to 185/60/14 tyres. Felt so much better to drive (and less scary in the wet). With soft (old) springs though the tyres will sometimes hit the wheel well when the boot is loaded up and going over bumps but if yours was on stands for many years the springs might still have plenty in them.

Always get a kick out of seeing City's out and about, good to see another one :-)

billProT1985
Forum Participant

Postby billProT1985 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks man..Yeah i want to do that rim upgrade too but il do it when it's time to change the tyres il just grab a new set of rims/tyres, I gotta say it's all in really good nick mechanically wise other than the carby by leaking a tiny bit of fuel suspension I'd say is still good for now what I want to do now is just neaten it up I'm wondering the badges on the back where it says city pro t what colour they were I'm pretty sure the Honda is silver just not sure so I used a white paint pen and coloured in the city part for now.. Gotta represent the City!! Lol

foo
Forum Participant

Postby foo » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:02 pm

Looks like it's only the raised surfaces of the badges that were coloured - which would explain why they've all rubbed off!

I am sure there were some scanned press photos around on the net what might have enough detail, just can't find them currently. Best I can find is this one which (although B&W) makes me think it was probably just white like the "CITY" part of the other badge. http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto/CI ... 2-022.html

I don't get too worried about things being/looking stock though, I reckon if it looks good in silver go for it :-)

Return to “General”