Hypershift Question.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Hypershift
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

Hypershift Question.

Postby Hypershift » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:32 pm

Ok i have a rare little beast a genuine 1985 Hypershift but the hypershift bit is not working. Someone has changed the carburetor to a webber with an electronic choke and i am wondering if the ADT (hypershift) works off a vacuum. I know its a long shot but if anyone could shed some light on it that would be great.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Re: Hypershift Question.

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:16 am

Hello Nice looking City! All I've ever seen on the Hypershift is this vid. recently posted : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FchqEmK8QEw

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spike10000 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Yeah it's an interesting looking bit of kit, and not something I'd heard of until I went searching. Even then, there are very few results on our forum search. I read somewhere it might be based on something similar Mitsubishi did back in the day with their 'Super Shift', so might be worth looking in that direction too.

Hypershift
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

Postby Hypershift » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:16 pm

The mitsubishi version has a second gear stick. The city just has a button. I thought it was a bit of a long shot.

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spike10000 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:40 am

Button makes a whole lot more sense than the 2nd stick. Might be a problem for a very clever mechanic I think.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Interesting system! From that video it look like its driven off two electromagnetic clutches in the gearbox that are driven by a controller. That controller will presumably take a throttle position and probably an RPM input. Changing the carb probably means the controller is always thinking you are at 0% throttle so subsequently is never triggering a change. From my interpretation of that video it looks like the button disables the system for city driving or enables it for open road stuff, rather than directly triggering anything.

That second part of the video about them using FRM conrods is very interesting! It makes a whole lot of sense as a material for that application.

Return to “General”