External fuel pump

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
DR86
Forum Enthusiast

External fuel pump

Postby DR86 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:33 pm

Hi all!

Just wondering about the fuel pump on my T2. One time I was out shopping for a few hours. Starting up the car lead to repeated stalling. I noticed that there was no pump 'noise' when you turn the key to 'on'. Straight away I knew something was wrong with the 'ol pump.

Is it a in-tank pump or external mounted pump? I can see (following the fuel lines) that there's a pump mounted by the rear-left wheel. I gave it the good ol kick around that area in sheer frustration >:( and also jiggled the pump's wiring around, and whaddaya know, the thing came back to life :o, humming away like nothing happened. Weird, but true. And it's still running today.

After that dilema, I bought a new pump, a Bosch VL turbo type ;D. Not wanting the same thing happening twice you know. But that lead to a couple of problems of its own. Where the hell am I going to mount this thing? Looking at the stock pump, it's just a little shorter than the VL one. I was thinking of using the stock pump as a low volume feeder pump to the larger one.

Any suggestions anyone? And how would you rig up a rely to run the bigger pump off? As I know (as everyone else should) that running off the stock pumps wiring would reap dreaded votage drops and constanly blow fuses. Oh yeah, how about that damned fuel-cut, how do I bypass that?

Cheers!!  

BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Re: External fuel pump

Postby BOOSTBOY » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:00 am

The standard pump is indeed an external type and your VL pump should be an easy upgrade.  The stock one is located next to the tank at the passenger side.  There is a plastic cover there protecting it.  I wouldn't bother about using the stock one as a feed pump, just swap them over.

As for the fuel cut, i can build you a fuel cut defender for $30.  Let me know if you are interested.

DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Postby DR86 » Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:09 am

Boostboy,

So it is indeed external. Would it be hard to make a relay for the larger pump, or I should talk to an auto electrician about this? So there is enough room under there? That eases things a bit. What pump are you using?

You can build a FCD for $30!!!? Wow!! Yes, I am certainly interested. Is installation difficult?

What about your car? How are things progressing? Saw the exhaust manifold, it looks bloody trick mate. How much to build one of those? You certainly are a genius Glenn.

Thanks for that mate...

BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Postby BOOSTBOY » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:28 am

Hey thanks mate, send me an email at [email protected] and we can talk further about the FCD and stuff..

Im still running the stock honda pump at the moment, probably going to upgrade to the VL type soon.  As for the manifold and stuff its been put on hold for a bit as i just bought another project car that im trying to get on the road but dont worry, it should be going soon!

ct
Forum Participant

Postby ct » Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:58 pm

Another issue that can cause problems with the fuel pump is any earthing problem with your main relay - under the dash. Essentially a couple of relays, three diodes and a resistor, talks to the computer and decides to run the fuel pump (or not!) If the earth wire to that gets frayed it can cause the pump to not run. Easily checked out. Output from this is running a fairly heavy pump ex a SAAB on our Civic / City Turbo.

Regards

John (for CT)

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:24 pm

yeah, ive had both those problems with different citys....

Whacked one pump hard and it just goes now?!?!
And had under dash relay cooked as well....

Must be fairly common?

Return to “General”