Head Gaskets

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
ste

Head Gaskets

Postby ste » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:35 pm

I've blown a head gasket for the second time in less than two years in my 83 cabriolet. Is this common or do I just have a lemon for a motor?  Yes, I do check the water from time to time.
I'm looking for another complete motor (or car) in NZ (South Island) to recondition. Should I keep it standard or look for a T1 or T2 motor to recondition?

Ste

Tony
Forum Regular

Re: Head Gaskets

Postby Tony » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:09 am

Hi Ste

Look for a Turbo to recon and drop in it.  I dropped the T1 in mine after blowing the end of an exhaust valve on the standard Cabriolet engine.  There is a bit more playing around to get the electrics sorted, but it is just sooooo much better with the Turbo in there....

Cheers

Tony ;D

ste

Postby ste » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:56 pm

thanks for the advice. How much modifications to the car have to happen to take a turbo motor?
My local wrecker thinks that I have to change all the front end, brakes etc to make a turbo fit: is he correct ???

Ste.  8)

Tony
Forum Regular

Postby Tony » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:38 am

Hi ste

Mine is an 86 Cabriolet, I brought a T1 as the donor car.  The brakes on my Cabriolet were bigger so we left them in place.  The engine is no problem, I use the original cab radiator, the T1 doesn't fit.  Most of the effort is in the wiring loom, especially around the rear for the lights and the required fuel pump (you need to swap tanks and fuel systems).  You need to swap the heater boxs behind the dash, and you'll need get a new front exhaust section made (since your doing that you might as well get a 2.5 inch straight exhaust made at the same time (it makes a big difference).  And I had the aircon system removed completely (less weight, not neccessary and makes room for a decent air intake/filter)

Cheers

Tony  ;D

ste

Postby ste » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:26 pm

Thanks Tony ;D
So I can probably  reuse all my Cabriolet Cv's etc?
Thanks for your help: all I have to do now is find a turbo car.

Stephen

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:57 pm

ive got a whole running city turbo I with going motor etc loom,computer etc.

head gasket- did you get the head surfaced etc.?

have u run antifreeze- failure to run antifreeze in any motor will cause blown headgaskets- people who skimp on putting antifreeze in cars blow their headgaskets and wonder why.

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:59 pm

ps im in chch! head repairs and serious mods done here! but only quality ones - no corner cutting.

Tony
Forum Regular

Postby Tony » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:54 am

Hi Stephen

Yep, you can keep the existing CV's, we just pulled out the drive shafts, dropped the new motor in (well, that's the short version) and then slotted the drive shafts back in, keeping all the standard front suspension, CV's etc, the only suspension component changed was that I used the heavier sway bar from the T1 and it feels a lot better with it.  If I was going to do it again, and had the cash, I'd get a mounting point added to the back of the engine for a second shaft/CV to balance the lengths of the drive shafts as sometimes the torque steer when accelerating hard can be a little much.

Cheers

Tony  ;D

Return to “General”