Diagnosing failure to start on run up of re-build

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
JohnT
Donating Member

Diagnosing failure to start on run up of re-build

Postby JohnT » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:51 pm

Can anyone help with trouble shooting ideas?

We have rebuilt a City Turbo engine, all re-assembled in Civic body, wired up to computer, MAPs, O2 sensor etc all connected. Seems to have spark, seems to have fuel, but will only cough and splutter and not get up and go.

The cam wheel "TDC line" was horizontal at TDC, distributor set to cause ignition at TDC after #1 inlet valve closed and pointed to #1 slot. Firing sequence is 1, 3, 4, 2?? I tried moving distributor through advance / retard settings, with little difference in behaviour.

Seems to be a timing issue, or a gross fuel mix issue. I intend to (a) re-position distributor 1 gear cog more and less advanced and try again, and (b) look at cam versus crank timing.

Any other ideas? ???

Michael

Re: Diagnosing failure to start on run up of re-bu

Postby Michael » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:13 am

Sounds like a timing issue either ignition or cam timing. I would say it is more likely ignition timing as when I bought my car the cam timing was out by a couple of teeth but it still ran. The firing order is 1,3,4,2 BUT make sure that #1 is in the dizzy in the postion that is closest to the vac adv unit. Ive done this before after pulling off the leads and gives the a similar problem to the one you described. Iif your not sure what I mean have a look in the 1200 civic manual and do the timing the same as that, remembering that the timing is 20 deg.  

Michael

BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Postby BOOSTBOY » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:01 pm

John,

Is the computer giving you any fault codes?  Have a look at the window at the front of the computer case while you crank it over.  
Are all of your injectors pulsing when you are cranking, especially the cvcc injector.
Timing should be 28deg...

JohnT
Donating Member

Postby JohnT » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:14 pm

Many thanks guys

If the current showers and horrible weather clear up I'll try the suggestions in the morning.

John

ct
Forum Participant

Postby ct » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:45 pm

Hi everyone,
                   What do you mean by 28 degrees, i.e how do you line it up when you static time the engine. Is it with the line on the cam gear horizontal and at the TDC mark on the flywheel at the window or should it be the other mark on the flywheel? There is also an arrow on the head which points to the cam gear should the line on the gear line up with this?

Cheers
Chris

Henry
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Henry » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:15 pm

Set No 1 piston at TDC compression stroke, TDC mark on flywheel will be visible through timing hole, timing mark on front of pulley (take top plastic cover off) should line up with arrow on head. This means the valve timing is right.
Lift the distributor out, Align the index marks on the distributor gear shoulder with the index mark on the housing and push the distributor straight down until it bottoms. The rotor should have turned itself to the No 1 cylinder firing position and the mounting bracket should be central over the bolt hole. It should run at this so that you can make any required finer adjustments with a timing light. Service info quotes timing at 20 deg BTDC at 650rpm (normal idle)  Hope this eliminates some of your problems.  Henry

Henry
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Henry » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:24 pm

Forgot to mention, No 1 on mine (T11) is just in front of the right hand cap hold down clip when viewed from the front. Did you have it running in that car before the rebuild?  Henry

ct
Forum Participant

Postby ct » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:46 pm

no i have never had the it running in the car, charles who i bought the car off had the engine runnnig before he took it to bits.

Thanks for all the info i will see if i can get it to go in the morning.

Cheers
Chris

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:23 pm

substituting an LED for an injector will indicate whether you have an injection pulse. also check your earths, because the earths to motor and body can affect whether the motor runs or not.

JohnT
Donating Member

Postby JohnT » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:00 pm

Guys

Many thanks. We got it running, just had to get the timing right!

John
:)

Return to “General”