Oh S**T.......help me.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Smithy
Forum Addict

Oh S**T.......help me.

Postby Smithy » Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:24 pm

OK...left work at Ballymore last night after standing in the rain for 5 hours.
Got just past City and pulled up at some lights.
The revs were at 250 ish at idle.
then I could smell HOT (oily possibly??) fumes.
Then notice the water temp is quickly gettin to the red mark.  THen the oil light flickered a bit.

Drove further with low revs.
Pulled over and parked up....engine ticking a bit louder somewhere.  'Smoke' was coming off from down somewhere on engine?? not really smoke but not steam??  if you know what I mean.
Nothing in the way of steam/oily smoke/bad smells coming from exhaust.
Got a lift home. :'(

Today I go back to the car.
The radiator took about a litre of water.
Oil level fine but a little black...got like that after I changed it within two weeks (Mobil1 Synthetic).

Now, tomorrow Im contacting warranty folk and getting it towed somewhere to get it sorted....
unfortunatly I can see this being a problem.

I think for some reason its overheated and possibly warped the head? :-/
 as theres some water loss....but water temp was high, but i don't think it was being lost through the cylinders as there was no sign of it coming out the exhaust.
Though today we ran it shortly with radiator cap off and foamy bubbles were soon rushing over the rad. top.

soon after that it started making the louder than usual ticking noises.

NOW.....does any one have any ideas as to this problem ?
what caused it?

whats likely busted?

Who can I source replacement parts from in Brisbane?
--> BoostBoy, aren't you up here, and have spare cyl head etc...

Is it going to be as simple as getting a cylinder head skimmed etcetera?

Any one recommend any one in Brisbane whos worked on these engines....
see I gotta try and claim some of cost back from warranty...assuming they think its caused buy something they cover (a holes).

man......I can just about afford the car now I gotta dish out any bundle to fix it...

F*%&#&$*#*$(..........so not good. :'( :'( :'(

campbell
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Oh S**T.......help me.

Postby campbell » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:03 pm

Hi,

Okay, what work was done recently?  Prior to this, when did you last check the water level?  And are you sure that you put the radiator cap back on properly?

Unless you shock cooled it, ie, poured cold water into it while it was still HOT, it may only be a blown head gasket.  Only problem then is actually getting the gasket.  We've sourced them from New Zealand.  But Southport Honda have agreed to chase TII parts for HCOAQ members.  Leon has done at least one top end overhaul. but he won't have time to anything at short notice.  Hondacare may be worth a call.  They're out at Sumner Park.  Scott on 0412 701 685 or Brad on 0411 382 229.

While you've got the head off, check the valve stem seals.  Mine are old and tired and will suck oil at idle, this shows when the cat is cold.

Good luck,

Campbell

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:04 pm

Hey Smithy, sounds to me as though you have a blown headgasket. Is  the underside of the oil filler cap milky? Is there oil in the radiator or bubbles comming out? The head may have warped but you will not know until you pull it off. If it is warped I would suggest you get it skimmed down so it is flat. Now in doing this will raise the compression so then replace the head gasket with a copper one which will probably cost you the same as a standard (I have the number of someone that can make them).   The fact that the oil went black so quick probably suggests to me that the motor is still a bit dirty and you should consider an oil flush next change. I am not supprised that the oil light flickered on at 250 rpm as at that sort of revs the oil pressure would be very low.

Michael.

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:55 pm

I delivered the car to my mechanic at Evolution Racing in Wolongabba this morning...
Im seriously hoping its as simple as a head gasket...
an gettin ghte head skimmed and that no other damage occured...

Water and oil levels were topped up fine. though oil level was a bit high. which I blame myself for so its possible that oil pressure blew the gasket...

thanks for the hints there dudes.

man Im glad its actually being looked at now though.
Had to sit it in the centre parking area at Carina (for the brissie folk), my dad and brother telling me "theres a T2 at carina!"......

I'll let you know whats happening any way....its making an odd noise too...
initially he pumped air into radiator to see if a leak but not there....trouble seems to start when engine is hot or when revs high when still warming....
which seems like a cyl head thing right?

just hope it all works out....

thanks guys....

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:12 pm

HURRAY

was a shootey thermostat!!!

got it replaced and instslled in one day...picked it up two days later~

now its running fine...
and its seems , a week later that theres no head warping either.

oils fine and water level hasn't dropped at all.

Im actually quite impressed at the apparent reseliance of the engine to this...

Seriiously i thought it was gunna be well rooted. being all alloy.

But HOORAY!!!
all good.

Return to “General”