Dump Pipe

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
city_boy_t1
Forum Enthusiast

Dump Pipe

Postby city_boy_t1 » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:01 am

Hi all,

My friend just bought a pipe bender and i wanted to make a dump pipe as i have heard that they can greatly assist on the quest for more power.

The car already has a 2.5 inch exhaust from the cat back. Can anyone please expalain or with help of a diagram show me what a dump pipe really exists of.  I understand the concept behind it but dont really know how to make one.  Any help would be great.

Thx

BOB

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Re: Dump Pipe

Postby doggystyle » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:02 pm

how big does your pipe bender go? most of the home hydraulic ones ive seen only go to 2" its way easier to buy a 2.5" mandrel u bend and do it.. thats what i did, you also have to get a flange plate made up  to mount to the turbo, take the faotory flange into an engineer and get him to cut one out of 10mm plate steel.. costs about $30, when i did mine ihad to add a piece on the side of the pipe to accomidate(?) the waste gate, most dumpers have them but if you go to 3" you can just mold the pipe to fit the profile of the flange plate... get that? mmmm.. a picture would be way better

p.s its harder to do than you think

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo3 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:46 am

I've sort of done the same.
Check out my exhaust dump pipe under the "members rides" section of this site. The flange is a bit bigger as I'm using an RHB52. This pipe has also been ceramic coated by ProCoat to keep temp down.

Pete 8)

city_boy_t1
Forum Enthusiast

Postby city_boy_t1 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:48 pm

thanks guys, i think i might just get someone else to make one up for me as it sounds a bit complicated to do on a home hydraulik pipe bender  :(

fordsorholdens

Postby fordsorholdens » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:13 am

I was thinking bout doing the same ive got a 3 inch bender at home  i used it to make the roll cage on mi buggy. hey does anyone no the regulations on putting in a hidden roll cage in Nz  im thinking of doing that so i can mount a harness?

fordsorholdens

Postby fordsorholdens » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:15 am

I was thinking bout doing the same ive got a 3 inch bender at home  i used it to make the roll cage on mi buggy. hey does anyone no the regulations on putting in a hidden roll cage in Nz  im thinking of doing that so i can mount a harness? back to the dump pipe  can i take off the cat converter so i can mount a blow off valve there (no i aint a boy racer i juz wanna do up mi city)

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:35 pm

???.. bov behind the turbo, it goes on the other side.... speaking of bovs does anyone know what happens if you vent it straight into the exhaust manifold, being unburnt would it explode and spool the turbine...

PGNUTA
Forum Enthusiast

Postby PGNUTA » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:30 pm

Nope.  You'd need to add fuel to that mixture to make it explode.  All that would happen would be that the oxegen sensor in the exhaust would detect the extra air and start f**king with the fuel map, you'd end up running far too rich and bore washing your engine.

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:35 pm

mmm good point although you dont have to add fuel but it would frick up your o2 sensor probably melt your turbine too

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:37 pm

[quote author=fordsorholdens link=board=GEN;num=1056841260;start=0#5 date=07/02/03 at 10:15:41]I was thinking bout doing the same ive got a 3 inch bender at home  i used it to make the roll cage on mi buggy. hey does anyone no the regulations on putting in a hidden roll cage in Nz  im thinking of doing that so i can mount a harness? back to the dump pipe  can i take off the cat converter so i can mount a blow off valve there (no i aint a boy racer i juz wanna do up mi city)[/quote]

theres lot of rules abo0ut roll cages in road going cars in NZ.
I would have a chat to your local cert guy and get all the details first hand.

Jw

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo3 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:10 am

I'm going to be putting a half-cage behind the front seats, wtith diagonal support down to the rear stut towers. Will mount a four point harness on the rear floor where the seats would be (not running rear seats).
Should be able to do this without NZMA club affiliation, log books and running minimum 2 competition events / year!
Probably best to chat to cert guy though as QikLude suggested.
Pete 8)

fordsorholdens

Postby fordsorholdens » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:08 am

Hey thanx for the help

Turbo2
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo2 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:51 pm

Yeah Definatley need a Roll-cage in a City

It being so small and all.
Especially if your doin some serious boosting