City Turbo Auto

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
andrewleechnz

City Turbo Auto

Postby andrewleechnz » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:17 am

Hi, I'm currently building up a competition suzuki based 4wd, running a city turbo engine and box.
Are there any automatics that will fit the turbo engine? (non turbo city, civic etc)

Thanks,
Andrew.

Charles
Forum Enthusiast

Re: City Turbo Auto

Postby Charles » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:45 am

Auto from early civic up till 84 will fit and they are surprisingly robust. The early civic (up till79) autos are not a true auto though.

Not that you'll get me recommending and auto

andrewleechnz

Postby andrewleechnz » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:45 am

Thanks.
Are there any that are stronger than the aothers? i.e. are the later "normal" civic autos stronger than the hondamatics?

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo3 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:34 am

Dude! Welcome to the site. I presume with nz on your nickname, you're from over this side of the ditch?
So what's the Suzuki going to be used for? Sounds an interesting project.
Cheers, Pete 8)

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:07 am

i had a two speed in my eb1.. it was a great gearbox as far as autos go, i'm thinking of using it in my drag city(when that happens) cos i gave shit and it did'nt moan once although it ran out of guts at 140 but that was probably lack of revs

andrewleechnz

Postby andrewleechnz » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:36 pm

Yep, in Auckland.

I'm building it up for the national 4wd trials series. I competed last year in a V8 Landrover, but have decided to go small and light this season, hence the suzuki and alloy engine.
The engine is mid mounted (north/south) and I'm going to weld the diff on the gearbox and take one driveshaft to the front diff, and one to the back. I'm using Nissan skyline diffs front and rear, with homemade  independant suspension arms. It's also got 4 wheel hydraulic steering, air height adjustable suspension and independant steering brakes!
It should be a bit of fun when it's finnished.
Andrew.

city_boy_t1
Forum Enthusiast

Postby city_boy_t1 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:14 pm

You are crazy but good on ya mate  ;D

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo3 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:06 am

Cool!!
I have a workmate who's into 4WD and spotted a photo in a recent magazine of a Honda City body on a tricky chassis. It did look rather good and he's trying to convince me to do that to my std T2. Maybe you'd like to carry the flag on that one and change body shapes to a City??!! ;) It would be great to know more about that beast, so see if you can find any details for us.
Cheers dude,
Pete 8)

andrewleechnz

Postby andrewleechnz » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:59 am

That guy's in my 4wd club. It's basically a show vehicle, and it hardly gets used off road. It's sitting on a shortened surf chassis, with surf front suspension and diffs front and rear. 4 wheel steering, mid mounted 350 chev etc etc. It's beautifully built, with amazing attention to detail.

Sorry, but the only panels I'm going to have on mine are fibreglass and dome on vinal! In the competitions I run in it's not uncommon to roll over more than once a day, which gets a bit expensive if you're using car bodies.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:38 pm

I have a horrible feeling that this looks a bit like that thread of people dreaming of 4WD rotary city's! They seem slightly less fanciful now...

Return to “General”