screwed alternator

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
CITY_SLICKER
Forum Participant

screwed alternator

Postby CITY_SLICKER » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:41 pm

sad story this one.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :'(
my mate was drivin my city home from a night club for me, i was sitting in the passenger seat pissed off my face hehe. then the battery light and some weird light with japanese writing on the far right came up. we didnt know what it meant so we ignored it. so while we were drivin down a pitch black road in the middle of nowhere at 3 in the mornin, the car just died. took us an hour to walk to the nearest pay phone. the raa got there and charged my battery for us. said the alternator was stuffed. just my luck hey.
so it looks like i need a new alternator now. does anyone know around how much a new alternator for a  T2 city would cost and would it be hard to get?

cheers guys and gals

Henry
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: screwed alternator

Postby Henry » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:42 pm

Hey Slicker, should be able to have the old one rebuilt, it is a smaller unit than the City Pro but see no reason why one of them wouldn't fit either. Shouldn't have any trouble picking one up at the wreckers if your old one is stuffed. Give me a yell if you need any help. Henry

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:33 pm

get it rebuilt then you dont have to worry about it doing it again plus you get a warranty otherwise you could end up buying a dud

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:34 pm

p.s in nz it costs about 80 to 100 bucks depending on what you have replaced

CITY_SLICKER
Forum Participant

Postby CITY_SLICKER » Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:24 pm

well its all good now. took the beast to an auto electrician. had to get the whole thing replaced. wasnt too bad tho, it cost me $120 all up. so i was pretty happy.

cheers everyone.

campbell
Forum Enthusiast

Postby campbell » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:55 pm

I've got to say that $120 to replace the alternator is a very good price.  So saying, is it a reconditioned unit?  I put a new Nippon Denso unit in mine back in April,  The Toyota low-Lux one is a direct bolt in replacement.  Just needed the loom adaptor ($10) and I'm running a brand new one. ($280 all up.) The slip rings on my old one were well and truly run in.

The sparky thought that 195,000km was a pretty good life considering where the alternator sits.  Low down the front picking up all that road grime.

I was going to drive the 700km home until I encountered fog, and heard that there was rain on the New England Tableland.  You should get about 8 hours of running from a fully charged battery if you don't have any other electrics turned on.

brightly yours,
Campbell

Return to “General”