exhausts

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
crooky
Forum Enthusiast

exhausts

Postby crooky » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:44 pm

Ive got a 2.5 inch system from turbo back and have a pretty standard turbo muffler but because of the close proximity of the axle/suspension to the rear of the car, I had to have the muffler before the rear axle and an extended endpiece ending in a 3" dumper.  The exhaust is a bit burbly and I was wondering what other people's exhaust notes were like?  Has anybody run a canon type muffler with any success?  

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Re: exhausts

Postby city_cabriolet » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:13 pm

Hey Crooky,

I've got my T2 powered Cabriolet at my place, it's slightly modded.
You really need to come round and have a look, and a listen! Ben's been round, now it's your turn!
I haven't got a mobile anymore, so ring Ben and get my Home number and come round one day after work or this weekend.

Catcha
Luke.

blitz_power

Postby blitz_power » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:22 am

hey i successfully run the Apexi N1 canon type muffler..
Without using the original place,. My straight pipe been modded to angle a bit. Will show u the pictures.

Can i have your email ? Thanks...

crooky
Forum Enthusiast

Postby crooky » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:14 pm

[email protected]     Ta.  ;D ;D

crooky
Forum Enthusiast

Postby crooky » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:20 pm

Hey Luke.  I'm heaps keen to have a look eh!  If I wasn't so busy at the moment I'd be round there helping you to drop it in your cab.  Another three months and I'll have all the time in the world but pretty flat out until then.  I'll still come around and have a listen though.  Ben reckons its pretty crazy.  I've got mine sorted out now, goes a lot nicer than it was.  The damn thing had so many niggly little problems.  just put the right type of plugs in today (the resistance type) and replaced that split ccv hose (think that's what it's called).  Runs a lot better.  Can't wait to get a cold air feed happening and a new vacuum advance.  Will be sweet.  Raced a GT starlet the other day (pretty close!).

Tony
Forum Regular

Postby Tony » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:48 pm

Hi Crooky

I'm running a 2 1/2 inch pipe straight off the turbo, no cat, just runs straight back, with a bit of a bend to run it down the side of the fuel tank and into a 90mm tipped straight through Autotechnica muffler, sounds cool (well I think so) not to loud but sounds really good at over 4000 rpm.  Will try to do a recording, wonder how we can post sound files?

Check it out under members rides.

Cheers

Tony

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:55 pm

yeah i run a 2 1/2 inch dumper to a 2 1/4 inch flexi, no cat throgh to a 2 1/2 inch headman turbo can and tip.. not as loud as i wanted but has a nice tune especially up in the rev range.. does some nasty backfires on decel, mmmmm backfires

Charles
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Charles » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:48 am

Backfires + turbos = very bad

Check your timing or replace your vac advance canister

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:48 pm

[quote author=Charles link=board=GEN;num=1060163073;start=0#7 date=08/12/03 at 09:48:03]Backfires + turbos = very bad

Check your timing or replace your vac advance canister[/quote]

Why are they bad?
And whats it got to do with the timing?

Charles
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Charles » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:21 am

A backfire in the exhaust doesn't go one way. It sends pressure waves back towards the motor and through the turbo. A big backfire can stall a turbine that is happily spinning between 50000 and 150000rpm. The back fire usually occurs close to the turbo and as such the force is the greatest in that area. It can break or bend the shaft or at least provide much greater wear on the shaft bearings.

Antilag (dumping of fuel in front of the turbo and igniting it) kills turbos pretty quickly but these are better than back fires as they are speeding up the turbo in the direction it is already swimming unlike backfires that try to make it spin the other way.

Depending on the timing you can get unburnt air/fuel mixture entering the exhaust system which creates the backfire. High manifold vacuum (closed throttle high revs) works the diaphragm and changes the ignition timing.

Other causes for backfires are leaks in the exhaust which allow oxygen in and promote back fires.

Return to “General”