Fouling plugs

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
crooky
Forum Enthusiast

Fouling plugs

Postby crooky » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:47 pm

Hey crew.  My T1 is fouling the plugs (correct type) after only 2 weeks (carbon buildup - looks like too much fuel).  Drives reasonably well when the plugs are good.  I was wondering if a perished vacuum advance could contribute to this as the car runs quite poorly at idle, while cruizing, and when backing off the accelerator, all times when vacuum advance is important.  Runs fine under boost (except for the damn boost cut!).  Could the lack of advance at these times contribute to the richness of the mixture?  Also Ive been reading another thread talking about cam timing.  I had some mechanics who may not have known their stuff playing around with this and I was wondering what the running symptoms in a city Turbo of incorrect cam timing were.  Does this affect fuel air mix?  Thanks ;D

city_boy_t1
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Fouling plugs

Postby city_boy_t1 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:37 am

Hey crooky,

When i done my cambelt, me and my m8 timed it wrong and what seemed to be out by a little bit was actually out by a mile.

The symptoms that i experienced were :  couldnt start for a while and once we got it started it would die (due to incorrect dizzy timing).  After we sorted that out it ran smooth but with only half the power of a standard t1 and on deceleration it would backfire.  It ran hellishly rich, strong smell of fuel from exhaust.

Thats about all i can help you with.

cheers

BOB

Return to “General”