Honda City's Carburetor

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
tofucity
Forum Participant

Honda City's Carburetor

Postby tofucity » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Hey Guys

Im new to vintage cars.

Ive purchased a city and when i turn it on (Cold start) I always have to wait for it to warm up(Ive got told you have to do this for an carburetor)
I'm just wanting to know if this sounds normal.

When I turn it on I cant touch the gas pedal at all, because it will just stall out and turn off.
So usually have to wait like 5 minutes of warming up. I live in NZ so its not that cold.

Its an 88 City E (NZ) Hondamatic

Thank you

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Honda City's Carburetor

Postby KingCity » Fri May 04, 2018 7:48 pm

That's definitely not normal, there is a problem somewhere. I am not up to play with the automatic City's but from what i understand the red top autos have a auto-choke (i could be wrong here) & the black top manual City's use a manual choke that i am 100% sure about. To the left of the steering wheel not far from the heater controls there maybe a pull knob, if so then that is likely to be your choke. One other thing that can cause this is a blocked priming gallery or priming pump isn't working right, on black top manual City's the carb needs to squirt some extra fuel into the venturi to allow it to rev up rather than stalling due to a lack of fuel & an excess of air, just google it to get a much more in-depth explanation of this subject but this is the most common reason for stalling.

Return to “General”