My honda city is having Voltage problems.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Hondagirl

My honda city is having Voltage problems.

Postby Hondagirl » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:04 pm

as the topic says any help would be mucly apprichated thanks guys... voltage reading from multi meter says 16.54 and thats way to heigh, how ever on when air con is on..... goes back down to 14.55 or so.... wich is normal.  But as soon as i give it a rev multi meter goes back to 16.55 or there abouts, and lights go all funny like realy bright back off the revs goes back to normal.

any how thanks guys.. would love to hear ur comments.

and sorry about the other post.

75civict2
Forum Participant

Re: My honda city is having Voltage problems.

Postby 75civict2 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:35 am

Sound like your alternator is stuffed   :-X
The voltage regulator has packed up. Be carefull
you could cook your elec system. I know theres an alt at my local weckers. I could get a price 4 you.

JohnT
Donating Member

Postby JohnT » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:46 pm

Another option is to take it to the auto-electricians, and get them to re-build the alternator & check out overall electrics. Cost should be around $120 - $200, which, considering damage you can cause from a sick regulator isn't too bad.

What will also screw up voltage like this is a really sick battery, which has gone high resistance. What happens to the volts when you crank the engine? Turn over briskly?

(If the battery is in good condition, you hit it with that sort of voltage and it will charge like crazy and sink the extra voltage away.) So thinking about it, check out the battery and the terminals for a lot of corrosion..

John T

Hondagirl

Postby Hondagirl » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:43 am

Come to think about it i think it was just the battery found out yesterday when we got back from the coast battery was smoking so ya....
And also the my alternator just recently got done not too long ago...
Thanks for all your help much appreciated :)

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:21 am

[quote author=Hondagirl link=board=GEN;num=1080817446;start=0#3 date=04/03/04 at 11:43:56]Come to think about it i think it was just the battery found out yesterday when we got back from the coast battery was smoking so ya....
And also the my alternator just recently got done not too long ago...
Thanks for all your help much appreciated :)[/quote]

The battery will smoke like that if it gets feed overvoltage like that after a while, bascily that battery is now shot.

soulds like the voltage regulator.

Jw

Hondagirl

Postby Hondagirl » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:45 am

ya we got told that last night voltage regulator hhmm me needs money to fix that problem but i spose so long as it still moves forward she'll b right till i get that money up to fix it

Return to “General”