Standard Oil Pressure ???  + Cooler

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Turbo2
Forum Enthusiast

Standard Oil Pressure ???  + Cooler

Postby Turbo2 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:12 pm

Hey guys Does anyone know the Standard Oil Pressure for a T2?   ???
Will be fitting Oil Pressure Gauge Also an Oil Cooler that I want to fit but need to know what oil pressure to Bump it up to after Fitment.
(sick of having to replace my Oil so often)
Or will the pressure loss not be significant enough?  Oil Cooler quite large one Maybe Tooo large.......... :-/ Off a GT-t Caldina

I was looking @ replacing the Oil Pump Relief-vavle Spring -- With a heavier Spring.

But Has Anyone tweaked with their oil pressure at all?

Cheers Turbo2   ;D

Smithy
Forum Addict

Re: Standard Oil Pressure ???  + Cooler

Postby Smithy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:29 pm

I've thought about an oil cooler....

my oil doesnt seem to last long before it turned black...

Mugen used to do a remote oil cooler for the T2.

Turbo2
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo2 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:35 pm

::)

Yeah seems to be the only way to fix the oil KILLIN problem.

Plus cool the oil  before it gets to the Turbo.

Gotta be good for it.

Have all the oil line and Fittings just Need to know a bit more.

Dont want to Starv my Turbo of Oil   :-[

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:29 pm

Have you ever felt hot oil (not too hot of course ::))compared to cold oil? Hot oil is the most amazingly slippery stuff, you want it as lubricating as possible insode your turbo. Trying to cool it down from engine temp isnt going to do much either. You want it to go through the turbo, get REALLY hot, then cool it back down from there. The idea is not to stop it getting hot in the first place (impossible) more to cool it back down from 'very hot' as soon as possible to give it less time to oxidize and break down.

At least that is my understanding of the oil cooler principle.

I still have my radiator from the Hondamatic days of my civic. They have a built in transmission cooler which i was always planning on hooking up as an oil cooler, but never got round to it.

75civict2
Forum Participant

Postby 75civict2 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:58 am

One of the functions of oil is lubrication an another is to cool. Oil will always lubricate any temp, but when it gets to hot its stuffed. If the oil going into the turbo is cooler it can remove more heat from the turbo helping it run cooler. Putting oil thur a cooler will not make it fully cold be will make it live longer and  make your turbo live longer.

You will need to add more oil to the system but the pressure drop shouldn't be to great.
Plum a oil pressure gauge in the line before and after the cooler and see the difference. Its up to you.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:54 am

I doubt that an oil cooler will be able to cool the oil to much below normal engine temp, so surely getting rid of the temperature spike after it has gone through the turbo would be best so as to stop the extra heat being absorbed by the rest of the oil and raising the overall oil temperature....

75civict2
Forum Participant

Postby 75civict2 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:22 pm

That may be so but how much does changing your oil cost   ???  say $30 to $40.

How much does changing your turbo cost   :o
 $500 to 1,500
Just think about it. Do you want to save your oil or your turbo!!!!!!

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:23 pm

The oil cooler will cause a drop in oil prssure after the cooler. Do you want to drop the pressure of the oil going through your turbo?

I change my oil 4 times a year. I have a t2 engine that has done 20 years on the original turbo and it is still fine.

20 years * 4 changes * $40 = $3200
if my oil cooler reduces my oil changes to twice a year then i will save $1600 if we then take away $500 for a possible turbo recon then i have still saved me a huge amount of money, not to mention the time and hassle of many oil changes.

I am sure that deteriorating shitty oil is also a contributing factor to the life of a turbo.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:20 pm

[quote author=Colza link=board=GEN;num=1080789178;start=0#7 date=04/04/04 at 18:23:49]The oil cooler will cause a drop in oil prssure after the cooler.
I am sure that deteriorating shitty oil is also a contributing factor to the life of a turbo.[/quote]

shit oil is a MAJOR factor in killing turbos...

Oil coolers can be a good idea!
Even the first VR4 mitsi's had large factory oil coolers.
My 1990 honda prelude had a factory oil cooler fitted... etc etc

Jw

Fader
Admin

Postby Fader » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:42 pm

where is the oil cooler in a factory oil cooled car? before or after the turbo?

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:17 pm

Yeah, so where should it be fitted....

.....oh! changing a oil filter will help to, stop it blocking up and bypassing filter all together....$18 abouts.

Turbo2
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo2 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:50 pm

;)

I say before the Turbo Since I'mm gonna Blow-it soon
And since the Standard Intercooler position is SH__T  ::) And almost in-effective.

But yeah I see Colza's point.  :-/

Farkin OIL ARrrrrrrrrrgh >:(

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:44 pm

How about run it completely seperate from the turbo feed all together? Having its own personal supply, the cooler could keep the over-all temperature of the oil down without fagging with the pressure going through your precious turbo...

How about this:
"...a reduction in temperature of 20 degrees will reduce the rate of chemical reaction to between one-half and one-third (or less)."

"...the operating temperature of engine oil in a high-revving, small-displacement, turbocharged engine is often in the region of 250 degrees [farenheit i should hope!], a reduction of 20 degrees (approximately seven percent) seems like a small price to pay for such a significant reduction in oil deterioration."

Taken from an article called "Turbo Life Insurance" by John Hanson. No idea what it was published in though.

JohnT
Donating Member

Postby JohnT » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:21 pm

Gentlemen all

Couple of points about an oil cooler:

1) Oil being a hydraulic medium, and assuming you're not going to put a skinny little cooler in, there is very little pressure drop across an oil cooler. Of course, how you get the oil through the cooler is an interesting question - see below.

2) Don't put too large a cooler in, as the oil likes to be moderately hot to get rid of volatile crud (like unburnt fuel) that thins it down. So you don't want an enormous cooler, just one with a moderate flow rate. Also a big cooler will eat a lot more oil every oil change.

3) You won't save money on oil by putting in a cooler - the total system volume is up, probably worth half a litre or more of oil per change extra.

4) While you could put a cooler in the turbo oil feed line, you'd be cooling a tiny flow - not a lot of oil gets through the turbo. You need the cooler in a main oil path, or running off an auxilary oil pump (more money, more plumbing.) Its not clear to me where you could plumb it in and get a decent flow through the cooler.  

Lots of luck doing this, as I suspect without it being designed in, its all a bit of a bugger to do.

John

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:35 pm

Fair enough. I have always wondered about making use of the factory tranny fluid cooler found built into the radiator of the 'Hondamatic' civics. I see those two little hose-tails ever time I open the bonnet just sitting there asking to be used....

Return to “General”