bitterberry

Post pictures and details of your Honda City
bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

bitterberry

Postby bitterberry » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:34 pm

Hey guys here's my City Turbo 1 that I got a few weeks ago
Condition is pretty average. Everything seen is as I got it. The plastic guards are covering some hack job where the previous owner cut the guards in the front and back, no idea why this was done and the plastic guards look terrible. Motor is running significantly less that it should be, paint was done by someone as a home job and doesn't look too good when you get up and look at it. Bumpers are pretty faded plastic and the line has been painted white and faded. There is rust in the doors and on some parts around the body.

Over the summer I hope to change heaps about it. I bought a honda city non turbo that I'm gonna strip for parts, mostly shell parts. Going to take the front fenders, doors, guard mirrors, seats, steering wheel and probably some other parts and chuck them on the T1, then going to get the rear guards fixed and get the whole car professionally painted. The car came with a spare city turbo motor, complete with gearbox which was pretty sweet, but it's in poor condition. Going to recondition the motor and swap the motors around, hopefully picking up a ton more horsepower from the reconditioned motor. This motor has over 300,000 km so it's pretty poor. Got some turbo lag issues and only gets 6 psi since I took off the bleed valve that was making it perform worse. Hoping to get an intercooler put in and I'm going to get a big exhaust put in, the current one is the stock pea shooter and it's rusted everywhere. I've also got some downforce lowering springs coming from japan. At the moment it's got some civic springs on the front and it's really lopsided.

I'll update when I get to fixing it up!

bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

Re: bitterberry city turbo 1

Postby bitterberry » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:53 am

Here's the car I got yesterday
It's a City E auto. Pretty good condition of the exterior, which is what I bought it for. $350, bargain :D
I'll be swapping the fenders and doors to the t1, putting the guard mirrors on, getting the rear fenders cut and welded onto the t1, swapping the black trimming on the doors and fenders and getting the t1 painted! I'll update once that's been done!

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:24 pm

Nice. I saw this one on Trademe awhile back & liked the seller’s pics so saved em’..

bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

Postby bitterberry » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:37 pm

Hey sweet those photos must have been a few owners ago. Guess it's my obligation to get it up to spec :roll:
Body work should be done in about two weeks if all goes according to plan!

Mont
Forum Participant

Re: bitterberry

Postby Mont » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:30 pm

nice car
Please show more photos of that T1 with these fender flares

bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

Postby bitterberry » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Took it into the shop today for rust repairs, panel work and a respray. The plastic flares are coming OFF as they're poorly screwed in and I think look dumb. I'll give update photos when I get it back in 1 and a half - 2 weeks

rafke
Forum Enthusiast

Postby rafke » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Nice this, looking forward seeing the updates on the works.

bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

Postby bitterberry » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:17 pm

Small update. Not much has been achieved the last few weeks. I took the city into a place in christchurch called Baird's Collision Center. Basically my car sat there for 3 weeks without getting anything done so I took it back.. Place looked legit but after they had kept lying to me about how they were going to have it done and never even started it, I decided to just get out of there. Car got nice and dusty though.... Afterwards I took it around to a few other places and it's going to cost more than previously anticipated to get the work done so I'll be attempting some DIY over the following months. Need to paint the fenders and doors from the red city and swap them over, same with the boot but I have a spare boot that's in better condition. Have the spare motor completely apart and it's in pretty good condition, needs the cam faces polished and I'll be looking to get a more aggressive cam grind at the same time. Valves need cleaning up too. Pistons and cylinders are fine, much to my surprise, the spare motor actually looks pretty good! Turbo was a mess but I've given it a bit of a clean up and it looks okay, just some small chips on the inner circles for the turbine wheels, I'm hoping it will be okay. I'm considering swapping out the turbos soon instead of waiting for when i transplant the whole motor as the current turbo feels groggy and takes a while to get up to full boost, which is only 10psi with the current turbo. Also when I get the exhaust upgrade I can port the wastegate off the spare turbo and do a big swap there. Should keep me going until I can get the reconditioned motor finished and in!

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Postby KingCity » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:22 pm

Yeah this is the sort of stuff i don't mind mucking around with on these cars, it gives something to do on the weekends as i don't drink or party so have the time for it. Hey did you ever get around to checking the timing on the engine in the car to make sure thats not contributing to the lagginess? I found out something interesting with ignition timing when i set up the nitrous. For every 50hp shot of nitrous you should retard timing 2-3 degrees so done around 5 as im still running up to 15psi boost when using nitrous even though im only using 30hp jets, anyway my point is that when i was driving around without using nitrous but still running 5degree less timing i noticed i can make 10psi boost at around 2300-2400rpm in 4th & 5th gears but it has a real laggy feel but when i advance my timing back to normal it only makes 10psi at around 2600-2700rpm in 4th & 5th but doesn't have the laggy feel, the cam im using could have something to do with that but yeah just thought i'd let you know how ignition timing can have quite an effect on boosted engines. Anyway all the best & i will be keeping an eye on your page :D

bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

Postby bitterberry » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:29 pm

Didn't look any further into the distributor as being part of the problem but since you mention it I'll try to check that out and see if it helps! I'm hoping when I swap in the other turbo and upgrade exhaust it will help with the boost issues. Also I'm looking into an electronic boost controller which would hopefully help as well as the bleed valve is a pretty cheap way to control boost. I'll be DIYing all the panel work I can but since I can't weld I can't fix the rear guards and major rust :(

bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

Postby bitterberry » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:12 pm

Photo update time! First of all, I moved my distributer a little to the right (not sure if this is advancing or retarding it) and it didn't change anything to do with my turbo lag but it did have the unexpected result of making the car feel a little bit more torquey and roaring, so that was a pleasant surprise!

Fenders and doors are off the red city! Ready to begin the process of getting them ready for paint

Trailer full of fender bits. Featuring guard mirrors! Can't wait to get them on.

Door plastics and bits from the inside

Sick weather proofing

General photos of the T1
Sneaky GA2 got in the shot
Clearer photo of what the plastic guards do. They really do not look nice. Can't wait to get the other fenders on so these things can hit the road
Big rust! May have to get this professionally taken care of, but I'll see what I can do myself
Door rust, am swapping the doors anyway so this will be gone soon
Rusty pea shooter! Excited to get new 2.5" exhaust soon

I'll update as more gets done! I'm hoping to get some photos of the motor all taken apart and show you guys how it's looking.

bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

Postby bitterberry » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:30 am

Took out my camera and farking went at this thing with photos. So here's basically everything I have to show.

Engine bay, recently got a new air filter and oil breather because the old ones were FILTHY. Cheers dan for getting me them on the cheap ;)

Interior is not very nice :( eventually I'll get the rips re-fabric'd and go at it with a rug doctor but for now it's just not very nice.

TURBO even the seats go chuu chuu

Deep dish OMP steering wheel. I hate it. The deep dish along with the boss kit puts the wheel RIGHT IN YER FACE. This will eventually be replaced.

Boost guage. This thing is usually pointing to 10 while I'm driving ;)

Digi-dash. Pretty cool, wish it wasn't chipped in the corner though :(

Dash in okay condition

Cylinders from the spare motor, they're really not that bad. So stoked

Oily assembly

Turbo bits. This thing is TINY. I'll be looking into getting this upgraded but unsure of exactly what's happening with it at the moment.

Hand for scale. And I have tiny lady-like hands.

Turbine wheel. It's okay, not really perfectly round anymore.

Compressor wheel. Again, it's okay. Nothing special, a little dirty.

Bearings go here

Exhaust side

Little flexi that comes off the turbo to the exhaust

Injector rack thingymabob

PGM-FI. Red makes it go faster.

Oil screen. Not too bad but it's got these little bits in it.. Possibly the same stuff as this sand-like residue i found in the bottom of the oil sump.

Pistons! A little dirty, but they're A-okay!

Rocker assembly. The faces are scratched, not sure what would have caused this.. My suspicions are with the sand-like residue again though.

Might be a little hard to see. Hoping to get an aggressive cam regrind when I take this in to get fixed though anyway so double points.

That's pretty much all I have as of right now! Let me know your thoughts or any recommendations you have for upgrades before I swap this over.

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Postby KingCity » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:25 pm

The rocker faces do that in these engines & is especially bad on cylinder 4 rockers & cam lobes, its not casued by the sand like grit in the oil as the mesh & filter will stop it going into the galleries & so on to the rockers, that grit on the pickup is likely to be white metal from the big end & mains bearings which means its wearing, also those bores look like they have been honed since new as the cross-hatching looks good, this motor may have had a freshen up at some stage but the engine reconditioners usually engrave numbers on the block to identify there work. Also turning the dizzy to the right (anticlockwise) will retard timing, turning to the left (clockwise) will advance ignition timing. :wink:

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Postby KingCity » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:40 pm

Hey that City-R looks really mint considering its a import & these usually rust out worse than T1's & 2's. Do you wana sell the body? Oh wait your in Christchurch though right? If i was you i'd scrap that T1 body & put the T1 gear in the red one, & thats not because its red, i don't really like red City's even though i have two :D

bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

Postby bitterberry » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:00 pm

It's not a city R it's actually a city E. Says so on the badge on the back. I had thought about using that body but it's automatic and non fuel injected so I've heard there can be a few problems getting around that. As well as terrible brakes. I'm willing to sell the shell, only it'll be minus 2x front fenders, both doors and it will have part of the rear guards cut to weld onto my city turbo, so after that I'm not sure what else you could really use it for. I am in christchurch. If you wanna buy any parts though give me a yell (from what I have left) I've actuallu got a friend of a friend doing a big paint and panel on my city turbo very soon for cheap so in about a month I should have an update with it looking nice!

Return to “Member Cars”