spike10000

Post pictures and details of your Honda City
spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

spike10000

Postby spike10000 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:35 pm

G’day all.

I thought I’d make a post to introduce myself good and proper. I’ve actually been a member since 2007 and so as you’d imagine have loved these cars for quite some time. In fact, I remember flying to QLD a number of years ago to look at Brendan’s car, which at the time was a little more than I was willing to take on without the benefit of a garage space.

Fast forward a number of years and I’ve grown up somewhat (or at least become less of a child) with my own place and decent garage. I’ve been working rather slowly on the restoration of an AW11 Toyota MR2 which is now at the stage of requiring some attention to the body to match the level of the mechanicals. With that work being planned for some time, I began contemplating an interim fun-car that could sub for the MR2 whilst she’s taken off the road. I didn’t have to think terribly hard as it had always bothered me somewhat that I thought I was never going to have the chance to own a T2. In actual fact, I also love Motocompo’s, and actually bought one from Japan mid last year, which is still yet to arrive with me for long and complicated reasons. My passion for the ‘compo and T2 was reignited by a good mate in the MR2 scene who happened across a project T2 in Dubbo last year.

Anyway, there aren’t a terrible many of these cars, but I did happen across one that had undergone resurrection in Victoria. The documentation of that actually appears in a few places such as JDMST, Build-Threads etc ( http://www.build-threads.com/tag/honda-city-turbo-ii/ ) . It was a little while after I read through the build that I realised this one may be OK enough to pick up from where they left off. That is to say, I didn’t want to have to make one from scratch. I dropped the owner a line and asked to keep me in the loop if ever he was looking to sell. Coincidentally enough he was looking for a buyer, so with trailer hitched I drove from NSW to Vic and brought her back in August sometime.

At the time I still had a couple of other toys in the garage, which I promised myself I would relinquish before putting the T2 into service. That didn’t happen until last month, but in that time I changed a couple of little things in prep for its new life. I had to ditch the old 13’s and rock-hard rubber that came with it, and bought sticky Falken RT615 semi’s to fit some 14” wheels I had stashed away. In my “seconds” collection, I also had some Recaro LX-C mesh seats going unused, so lovingly fixed them up and fitted them to the T2 for period correct awesomeness. I also discovered that I needed a shorter alternator belt than what was fitted (was already on maximum tension), and so any time the accessories (lights) were switched on, it slipped and squealed horribly. That’s now corrected, as is my turbo intercooler hose which had horrible splitting and so was boost leaking. Kind thanks to forum member Hyperblade for helping a bro! I also have a stereo/shift console on the way, as it irked me the previous guys ditched it to emulate the spartan T2R look. The case was the same for the carpets, which the blokes in Vic kindly provided me with, as I wanted the car looking sensible for road registration.

For the moment I am just trying to keep the car ticking over, so that it faithfully serves me for the couple of days of weekly use it’ll be seeing. The most imminent mod is a change of exhaust as the old muffler looks like swiss cheese, and the turbo is forced to blow through a straw. To that end my mate Harry with the aforementioned T2 is currently fabbing up a 2.5” turbo back system. Can’t wait to hear how it sounds!

Unfortunately I haven’t taken any decent photo’s since it’s been in my ownership, so will shamelessly pinch the few good ones from the previous owner.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Re: spike10000's T2

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Cool So your the new owner of the Famous Build-Thread Turbo II! Nice work!

http://www.build-threads.com/build-thre ... or-finito/

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spike10000 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:46 pm

Yes mate. I don't think the previous guys were ever on here, were they?

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:55 pm

The actual guys that did the resto? nah I don't think so, they were posting on the OzHonda forum I think from memory....they seemed to like doing the resto more than the car itself....not hardcore City fans ;)

bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

Postby bitterberry » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Nice looking T2! I had the same issue with the alternator belt squealing, had it on max tension but still wasn't tight enough, ended up filing out the adjuster to get a little less slack in it. Can't wait to see more photos/updates :)

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spike10000 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:31 am

Yeah, very nice blokes that brought the City back to life, just not enthusiasts of the car itself.

I actually feel bad to say that I haven't driven the car for probably the best part of a month now. I took it out for a decent run a week or so before Christmas, but an exhaust leak was really getting up my nose, so took a closer inspection. This was easily explained when I discovered the back of the muffler looked like swiss cheese, and so provided the perfect excuse to start fab on another. I didn't want to do it by halves, so have decided to ditch the drinking straw downpipe, and go 2.5" the whole way. My mate who is handy with a MIG is piecing it together, and we should have another good chunk of it knocked over in the next few days.

It might not be to everyone taste, but I wanted to do something a little bit flashy, so am going to hang a Yoshimura off the end for giggles. I can't wait to hear how it sounds :P

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spike10000 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:22 am

Some crazy fooker stuck a motorcycle can on the end of my car! :lol:

2.5" all the way through. No sign of hitting boost cut at the moment. I do however have an RHB52 spec turbo on this, so could be helping.

bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

Postby bitterberry » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Exhaust looks good! The motorcycle can kind of fits with the size of a city hahaha. How much boost are you running? Stock boost cut on T1 is 14psi, unsure what it is for T2 but you will definitely know when you hit it. Boost cut on these cars just cuts spark so the weight shift from being full boost to nothing really hits you like a truck, like i found out when I upgraded to the rodeo turbo and scared the shit out of me :lol:
How does the exhaust sound?!

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spike10000 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:41 am

On a sub 30 deg day, it was hitting around 0.8 bar / 11.6psi according to my boost gauge. Perhaps it'll do more on a cold night. Either way, it hasn't touched fuel cut so I'm happy with that outcome.

Sound is very tame, no doubt due to the oval sports muffler I have tucked up behind in the factory location. I may end up fabbing a straight through section to replace it, to hear the Yoshi in all its glory :)

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spike10000 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:56 am

Not enough pictures on here!

Here's one with some Raybrigs I recently fitted.

And a little gem coming from Japan

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Re: spike10000

Postby spike10000 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 am

So I thought I should update this thread by introducing this little beauty that was unearthed in country NSW. A very original model which is genuine 1985 spec with black interior and analogue tach. I was running a set of red 14” CF48’s just recently, until getting fed up with rear scrub and switched to a set of semi-restored factory option 13” alloys wrapped in R-comp rubber. The previous City went to a fellow board enthusiast, but who has now since sold it!
This '85 drives really well, but the clutch is on the way out and I really need to step up my investigation of suspension options. I am planning a complete geometry analysis, determining accurate motion ratios, shock travel travel, sprung/unsprung weighting etc, to determine an ideal natural frequency and then proceed with options from there. Will update as I go along!

Picture time!

Return to “Member Cars”