suspension

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
tom
Forum Participant

suspension

Postby tom » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:38 pm

hey, i'm a new T2 owner and i was wanting to ask a few questions:

1) As the boost comes on and starts to build a fair bit of speed the front wheels feel as though they lift up and the front of the car starts to shake as though the wheels are bouncing rapidly. Is this the norm?

2) And when going along at normal speed and hit rough patches the car's steering goes out of control a fair bit, likewise round corners. Normal?

thanks

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:34 am

Your shocks are up shit creek, wheels are not staying on the ground at all times so it make's the car become unstable. Need to find new shocks.

tom
Forum Participant

Postby tom » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:56 am

ok, it usually comes on at around 7 psi. and i've just noticed that the front wheels have a heaps profound negative camber. Also, i took it out last night up the street and on my way back the wheels were screeching as though they were out of alignment? does it sound like anything else other than shocks?

thanks for your help

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:49 am

getting new shocks is going to be an expensive excercise.it might pay to get a wheel alignment and wheel balence done in the meantime,when i first got my cabrolet the alignment was out by quite a bit and after i had that corected the car drove a hell of a lot better but the shocks were kinda shocking.
the t2 had real good shocks when first purchased but they have gone down hill drastically since then mainly due to the shocking state of the roads round here.
good luck

tom
Forum Participant

Postby tom » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:03 pm

alright, thanks for all your help. its driving me insane, everytime i try to give it to it it just goes crazy. but i'm going to take it down to pedders and get a check over and get my wheels aligned. see how it goes from there.

falco
Forum Regular

Postby falco » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:32 pm

Just my two cents:

1. Does it only do the bouncing thing when under a fair amount of power? If so, it sounds like dead shocks to me, as everyone else has already said, though I've seen it caused by really disastrously low quality tyres as well, sidewall collapse and so forth. If it tends to jump around at higher speeds without power on, it's more likely to be wheel balance and perhaps worn suspension components, ball joints etc.

2. Sounds like bad wheel alignment - could well be related to #1. I'd say a thorough look over the suspension as a whole would be a good idea.

f.

ProT
Donating Member

Postby ProT » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:31 pm

Well if Pedders can come up with a suitable replacement shock at a realistic price, I think they may have quite a few people interested.

ProT
Donating Member

Postby ProT » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:01 am

Hey, did anyone ever manage to adapt the VW Rabbit struts to suit a Honda City?

Do a search for RABBIT and you will find the 2 threads.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:46 pm

You should be able to, would be a bit of work in there. I have golf ones in my car.

ProT
Donating Member

Postby ProT » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:27 pm

Bigelboe, Any chance you have photos of the item(s) and how you modded them to fit?

So it's Mk 1 Golf on all 4 corners? New shock inserts inside them with the outercase of the Golf struts machined down to fit the City wheel/hub bits and custom springs? Is that correct?

I have a T1, you have a Civic, but the method used to get them to fit would be the same?

N.J.
Forum Regular

Postby N.J. » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:54 pm

I had issues with the shocks...

The stock City Shocks were sooo different to what they were used to (ie. Holdens/Fords, Subaru, Mitsubishi etc).

At the end of the day, replacement shocks from Honda were going to cost the same as the best (Koni), so I went with Koni inserts.
:wink:

...set me back $2K.

Cars going great though! :twisted:

Return to “General”