looking at buying a 1982 City

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
jazig.k

looking at buying a 1982 City

Postby jazig.k » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:51 am

hi guys,
from australia, central vic here.
im looking at a silver 1982 city, non turbo, 5spd man, $500aud. its rough, which i like, but what should i look for before buying it? its got bad rust where the boot spoiler holes are under the window, but seems otherwise fine. it drives ok too [more power than my '94 3cly charade].

i wanna lower it onto some fitted 14"s, rust up the bonnet and get a bonnet bra, yellow tint headlights, old school roof racks with a varnished ply board wind deflector and sticker bombing patches of course.

is lowering a problem? can springs be sourced?
offsets and tyre sizes for 14"?
are parts a problem?

thanks guys, keen to buy it but looking for info first...

twin_c's
Forum Participant

Postby twin_c's » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:32 pm

a ratrod city interesting and unique idea. if your want it to look tough roll the guards out and fit 195/50R15 (these are a common size so cheap as chips). have been told the 15" inch steel rims of a swift should fit, paint these and any part of the body with a rust effect paint (don't know the name of it sorry) leave them out in the elements for 3-5 days then clear coat and your will have a rusty car without the weakening of the shell. as far as lowering the car the quickest method is cutting coils of the springs (only do one coil at a time so you don't go to far) but this is not the most legal of options. the other option is and adjustable setup but the only one i know of is the one being made by james (dont know if they are still going into production though).

all in all good idea hope to see pics in the future if you decide to buy it

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:35 am

Cool idea, cutting is probably your only affordable option for lowering. You could probably sort something a bit better out with a grinder and a welder - making some larger strut casings, but I don't know if you'd get it road legal in Aus?

Return to “General”