T2 adjustable suspension

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
turdbo
Forum Enthusiast

T2 adjustable suspension

Postby turdbo » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi all!

Long time no post,I've been super busy working away down south as well as on some other car projects,but the city's are up there on my list of things to do!

I have been working with a company who manufacture custom coilovers and are currently making a set for my 74 Ta22 and AW11 and I have been talking to them about making up a custom set for my T2.

There will be cutting and welding involved onto the original strut tower,but I will endeavour to come up with a kit that is as painless as possible!

Because I know that you are all (like me ) all riding around on rubbish old shocks with no hope of finding new ones.

So who would be keen for a set? and what would be a reasonable amount of cash you would be willing to part with?

I assure you that I am product testing the hell out of the manufacture at my own expense all in the name of research! But I am happy to do so.

Hope to get these made up soon, say around March at the latest.

Peace out!

TuRDbo

bulldog69
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

Re: T2 adjustable suspension

Postby bulldog69 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:17 pm

Hello there!

Before you do, just happy to report that have actually just gotten a set of custom adjustables for the T2 here in Malaysia. There is a company that manufactures custom suspension solutions here and have fabricated a bolt on set in a day! Will try to upload some photos or something if you're interested! If there's demand I can probably get them to make identical sets that you can use. They also can fabricate all the stabilizer bar bushings, which is what I'm going for next!

bitterberry
Forum Enthusiast

Postby bitterberry » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:16 am

AFAIK KingCity got some adjustable suspension custom made by cobra/chamberlains in christchurch also

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:35 pm

WHILE in Japan I got a tour of a Mechanic's shop ( will upload the vid of that at some point ) - And among the 15 or so City's he had there, 2 were lowered. His English wasn't flash & the lights in his shop weren't workin....Anyways One City had CRX coilovers on it, according to him it was a 'Hard' ride, the other had 'Honda Life' Coilovers, 'softer ride' he said. The Honda Life is alittle Box you see a lot of over there. He jacked up the car so I could take these pics...Kinda useless really, but thought I's share the story :)

turdbo
Forum Enthusiast

Postby turdbo » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:40 am

ANTHRAXXX;
Oh cool, it sounds like you had a great trip!

This honda life solution,did it look like a good option to you? I wonder what year the Honda life was and DoD you see what the set up was like on the rear? It could be an interesting option.

bulldog69;

Some pictures would be great! I am happy to look at all options, how did they go about customizing them? Photos of the front and rears would be great! I'm sure there would be quite a bit of interest if they are a good setup!

I will also endeavour with my suppliers are see what it will cost set up wise and what they can do.all in all we mite be able to pull together a good bolt on kit from one or multiple suppliers.

Keep me posted!

TURDBO

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:40 am

I didn't get to see the back-end of the car, there wasn't room for him to get the jack under it & low-light didn't help :p End of the day I've been told CRX coilovers fit/work afew times but I've never really pursued it myself. I have a friend here in Perth that's mad on 1980 CRX's & has about 5 himself, one day I should see if he has coilovers & maybe get together & see what will actually bolt up to the City. As for the Honda Life, again Norio couldn't tell me which year/model, I've looked around online & found sets easily enough for $900 like this : http://www.rhdjapan.com/tein-street-bas ... 8-je2.html
But not really wanting to spend that on something that may not be right.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:30 am

Takara posted a pic. of his brake repairs on Facebook the other day, so I asked him about his shocks that can be seen in the pic : https://twitter.com/taka_bull/status/68 ... 9462047744
Hopefully that link works - Anyways on his car he says he has ' It is nismo N1 damper for SILVIA. It is attached by processing the rear wheel housing.
Yes! Adjustment is possible. ' Sooo that's CRX, Honda Life & now Nissan shocks...

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spike10000 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Nismo N1 dampers.... doesn't sound cheap!

I haven't done a proper search through the forum for some time, but I assume factory dampers are no longer available?

craybait
Donating Member

Postby craybait » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:34 pm

A lot of us would be keen ,however we have been down the long road before which ended in high hopes no product.So if there was a quick result from Malaysia or NZ i.e less than a couple of years I would interested

thereebok
Forum Participant

Postby thereebok » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:40 pm

me to

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:18 am

John your alive! :) Local susp. places can do it...mob here in Malaga quoted me $600 for a set of springs, said the City ones didn't look like any they had off the shelf but they Make their own for $600 anyways...was almost 2yrs ago now I asked about it. http://www.malagasuspensions.com.au/

I'm sure it's going to be $1500 worth to get it done tho.

AndressoureMM
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

T2 adjustable suspension

Postby AndressoureMM » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:21 pm

I found a pair of lime green mazdaspeed adjustable damping rear struts on a gs at the wrecker the other day.
Are they worth snagging? Can they be rebuilt?

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:48 am

In the pics of those citys in Japan they are running shocks, not struts. There is a difference between Double A arm suspension that most late 80s Honda had and the Macpherson strut suspension that the Citys have. The shock rods in those coilovers look to only be 12 or 14mm, much too thin for the city which runs an 22mm front shaft. Basically these are dangerous and will bend easily on the first decent impact.

For a City, If I was doing it now I would find a Koni workshop, take some measurements about the ride height and travel that I want and have them supply/build a set of strut inserts to go inside the stock City strut tubes. Then I would install a weld on coilover kit to these tubes and you then have adjustable suspension and you can run whatever coilover springs you want.

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Postby KingCity » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:59 am

Yeah, Goerge Stocks does Koni inserts but they aren't cheap & if the price is over a few hundred bux then most City owners aren't that interested but what you're saying is completely right & the best way to do it, also Koni's are repairable.

Return to “General”