Need Help BAD!

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Re: Need Help BAD!

Postby city_cabriolet » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:33 pm

I was thinking the shaft play was causing the bearing to screw up and seize, not lack of oil... Engine oil fine...

Edit: lack of oil in turbo would sieze it completely wouldn't it? And wouldn't directly relate to shaft play?

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:43 pm

The turbo has a floating bearing, no ballbearings as far as i know (I thinks thats correct). So could possibly relate to shaft play (someone correct me if im wrong).

With rregards to the bracket i mentioned i ment the acutal triangle rear engine bracket which the rear engine arm attaches to. You need to take this off.

Ben

Edit if your turbo has been hitting the side of the housing you will need to get it checked out.

Edit: Edit: if you have a lot of oil in the intake pipe, this means the engine has been chucking a lot of oil up in to the cam area, did you put to much oil in it?

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:18 pm

Ok, i'm just getting more confused...

Can someone tell me what should happen when i stick my fingers in the turbo inlet.

Should i be able to spin the wheel easily?

Should i be able to pull it up appox 4 or 5mm and hear a ting sound as it hit's the casing?

When i rev the engine... it does feel like there's no boost... you know that low compression bog down feeling. Otherwise, engine feels absolutely fine (fine for no forced induction)

Yes i did overfill the oil at one stage :(  The pod and inlet pipe are "glazed" with oil, not soaked...

Otherwise the engine doesn't chew oil at all (unlike my old cab).

Fader
Admin

Postby Fader » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:56 pm

Hey dude, well sounds like its definatley your turbo (unfortunatley)

One thing you might want to try before you pull the turbo off.. try pulling the compressor wheel out! might sound stupid, but i have been thru 2 turbos with broken shafts, and it sounds like this might be your problem. This is generally due to a poor oil supply to the turbo.. so if this does end up the problem, best to get your oil lines cleaned.

Otherwise yeah get to work pulling it off, its not fun, but after the first time, it only gets easier!

Good luck (again!)
Chris

James

Postby James » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:14 am

Yeah most definately that is a seriously shagged turbo, remeber to soak all the turbo and manifold bolts in some form of penetrating lubricant for at least a couple of ours before you have a go at them, they can be an absolute pregnant dog when they snap of and other wonderful stuff like that  ;D

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:17 pm

What you think about this turbo.

It's a T25 setup for a mazda 1.8ltr

I should be able to strike a good deal, my friend knows the guy's personally  ;D

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:31 pm

You will need to get a new manifold made up cos that wont fit on your city one, but apart from that it would be a good upgrade.

ellastyle

Postby ellastyle » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:44 pm

hell yeah provided you can get a decnt manifold made up thatd make a wicked upgrade man...

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:55 pm

Need a new dump made up too, unless you can find the one that came off that turbo...

James

Postby James » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:21 pm

Just had a quick geez at the compressor map for a T25 and it looks like it should be ok for a city as long as someone hasnt fitted massive wheels to it or something it should be sweet.
Another option would be to look for a stock turbo from a 1600DOHC or 1800DOHC mazda.
They both have RHB5's if i remember rightly, the next size up from a city turbo turbo.
That turbo is a very good upgrade because you can have your exhaust housing machined out a bit and the centre and turbine wheel and compressor housings will all bolt up to your stock turbo, a very neat upgrade solution. A few people have done it on this board have a search and see if anyone has replied to the questions asking how it performed.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:29 am

i know it's bigger than the gt17 so hopefully it will spool less than 4K...

If i spend $590 on a rebuild, i mose well spend $700 on an upgrade, that way i'll take advantage of new technology etc (city turbo have a bad rep re: waste gate). So a garret turbo would be sweet...

My reason is availability. I'm not fussed about a manifold, i can get that made up. Problem is City Turbo parts, which are non-existant. So this particular T25 with a small compressor wheel etc is probably as good as i can get... Since they will charge $590 for repuild, i can buy this turbo for $600. And it will perform way better and had a reputation for easy spooling...

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:34 am

ps. i don't even have a current dump pipe, so yeah, anything is better than existing setup...

James

Postby James » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:12 pm

here in nz i think you could get that hybrid turbo made up for about 700-800 bucks with a full rebuild included, dont need a manifold then either...

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:13 pm

Hybrid?

Can you explain how this is implemented.

Cheers

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:56 pm

It is a city turbo exhaust housing machined out to fit the centre and compressor housings off a Mazda GTX. There are 2 made up that i know of, none are yet running in cars.

Return to “General”