Civc/City engine swap

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Dudley

Civc/City engine swap

Postby Dudley » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:09 pm

Hey guys and gals i own 2 early 80's honda civic station wagons and im looking at swapping the engines as 1 is in better condition and have 60,000 less k's on the clock.  I know alot of people have taken the civic engine out to put a city in, just wondering if you came across any problems?

Also  does a civic engine fit straight into a city?  I would consider this if i bought a non turbo city, would it be worth it?

Thanks

Kam
Forum Regular

Re: Civc/City engine swap

Postby Kam » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:39 pm

If you want to put another non turbo engine in a city (if thats what you mean) your best bet would be to go for an early Accord or Prelude motor.  the only problem with the civic engine that I can think of is clearance of the exhaust.

Dudley

Postby Dudley » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:05 pm

Do these engines fit straight in? Only reason i would rather a civic engine is because ill have one spare.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:25 pm

The main problem with putting a city turbo engine in a 2nd gen civic, which is what I assum you have(80-83), is the wiring, there are also other things like custom tourque arm mounts and exhausts and heaps of other things tho, do a search as Colza and I have performed this swap a couple of times now, speaking of which he should really write an infobase article.

As for your civic engines, yes they will fit in the city but they will offer NO performance gains whatsoever over the NZ city engine unless you are modifying them, and if you are going down that road, better to start with a city turbo anyway as the city engine has. 67Hp peak output and the EN1 1300 which you probably have in your civic is 55, even if you have the EW 1500 civic engine thats still only 63Hp in the 81-83 guise.

Although if your money if burning a hole in your pocket, the EN1 engine makes a great start for a high power turbo project, but, unless you are experienced with honda engines or have lots of money to pay ME ;D then its best to start with a city turbo engine if you want some power in your 2nd gen ride.

Some basic upgrades to the EN1 engine like twin carbs, an exhaust and a bit more compression can have you nearly up there at the 100Hp mark, something which is very very difficult in the low revving ER1 NA city engine

Dudley

Postby Dudley » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:36 pm

Cheers for the info.  Once i have swapped the engine's in my civic's i will be purchasing a city hopefully.  Turbo's seem hard to come buy, what's the difference between a pro T and a stock engine?  And a pro T and a turbo?

Thanks

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:44 pm

Pro T = NA city engine but it has some extra body bits like a different bumper.

Return to “General”