conversion

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
mr_mx6

conversion

Postby mr_mx6 » Tue May 03, 2005 4:31 pm

is it possible to squeeze a B16A VTEC in a city turbo ? has it it been done before ?
thanks

AnimaLector
Forum Enthusiast

Re: conversion

Postby AnimaLector » Tue May 03, 2005 6:51 pm

this has come up once or twice.
In short NO.....

but YES if you're willing to spend big dollars (very big dollars but then again anything is possible with big dollars)  

Try a search through here and the infobase for some details..  

Cheers
Andy

mr_mx6

Postby mr_mx6 » Tue May 03, 2005 6:57 pm

what wont fit ? firewall gota be knocked back ? what about a GT starlet engine conversion ?

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Tue May 03, 2005 7:00 pm

Why oh why do people want to change engines???

The original engine is a light compact and very powerful engine suited to the car!

instead of changing why not spend the money on doing up the engine???

I seriously don't understand you guys, who do this.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Tue May 03, 2005 9:00 pm

As has been previously mentioned (for F**K's sake SEARCH) youre best option as far as an engine conversion (if you insist on doing one) would be a 'D' series Honda engine, search to find out why.

James

Postby James » Wed May 04, 2005 12:22 pm

If you want a hatch with a starlet GT engine in it save youself a lot of hassle and buy a starlet gt, put a honda badge on it if it makes you feel better.

B16 is just far to big for the engine bay, short of a tube front end its not really worth it. Even the much smaller D-series is going to require quite a lot of massaging at the front to make it fit nicely, but it can be done...

EDIT: Actually, screw that, we dont want a shitty toyota wandering 'round pretending its a honda, imagine the shame!!!

Fader
Admin

Postby Fader » Wed May 04, 2005 1:37 pm

Yeah you can fit a B16A VTEC in a city easily. Best way to start is take out the back seat... :D

Incase you dont get it, im saying you could fit it in the boot.. would be fun that motor in a rear wheel drive city though!

HONDACITYT

Postby HONDACITYT » Wed May 04, 2005 2:28 pm

I agree with all you guys on that one all you need to see is the truth. I mean check out city boy t1's old t2 that car was so incredibly quick. In fact  it would have wasted a starlet without trying. Wheelspin in 3rd gear on the motorway was quite easy. :o

James

Postby James » Thu May 05, 2005 4:33 pm

I dunno, it depends on if you mod out a starlet GT engine, they are reasonably strong engines capable of lots of boost, there is a drag one here in NZ that runs 35psi boost at most meets, it makes more power than a ER is ever going to make, and with the interior stripped prolly weighs the same, but who cares, its a toyota ;D

Crazy2bother
Forum Participant

Postby Crazy2bother » Thu May 12, 2005 3:08 pm

Hehe, I'm just glad I was the first person to ask about this (a few months ago now), and not this poor guy.  I got in well before everyone lost their patience.

If you want the multitude of good reasons why NOT to do this conversion, follow this link:

http://www.cityturbo.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=GEN;action=display;num=1102295876

PS: I am in the middle of an ER rebuild at the moment,  and I have to say, my respect for this little engine is growing every day.  There is a LOT to be said about an engine that can produce over 150kw, with a block that weighs less than a KFC family feast.  ;D

HONDA_4_LIFE
Forum Participant

Postby HONDA_4_LIFE » Tue May 24, 2005 4:15 am

The greatest coversion that i pulled off my self was the city engine into a 1st gen 79' model civic and also a D16A into a 1st Gen civic

campbell
Forum Enthusiast

Postby campbell » Wed May 25, 2005 11:30 pm

Those in the SE Qld area should keep an eye out for Holden Sporting Car Club motorkhanas.  There's a "Pro T" there that has no engine under the bonnet.  It has a Camira engine in the back!

The guy just happend to have a City with a rooted engine and someone offerred him a Camira front cut.  So he just took the complete assembly and fitted it in.

Don't think about registration.

Campbell

ayenman

Postby ayenman » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:49 pm

[quote author=Colza link=board=GEN;num=1115101880;start=0#4 date=05/03/05 at 21:00:37]As has been previously mentioned (for F**K's sake SEARCH) youre best option as far as an engine conversion (if you insist on doing one) would be a 'D' series Honda engine, search to find out why.[/quote]

there are many d series engine, which one do you recommend

James

Postby James » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:12 pm

depends what coutry you are in. If you are in NZ or aussie, then go for a d15 sohc vtec. They are very easy to come buy, pretty modern and have enough potential for an old honda chassis. Although if your in the US i think its easier to get hold of a d16, although these are pretty much identical to the d15's.

Have a look http://www.civic1200.com/discus here, there are a few people on this site that have done the swap, and some really good photos.

ayenman

Postby ayenman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:56 am

thanx bigelboe ;D, im in malaysia though

Return to “General”