FCD-Boost controller-Extra Injector Controller

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
James
Moderator / Donating Member

FCD-Boost controller-Extra Injector Controller

Postby James » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:57 pm

hey guys,
I have been mulling over some circuit ideas for a while now, namely ones to fuel cut citys, and to control extra injectors, and I have come up with a few that I think will work. I have only tested them in simulation so far 'cause I don't get my civic (colza's car) for a few weeks yet.

What i'm talking about would be a little black box, that anyone could buy off me, that you installed under the dash in your city. It would contain:

An Fuel cut shifter already configured and set up for a turbo city, this means you can move the fuel cut upto say 20psi. It will deliver the same fuel from 15-20psi but ill deal with that furthur down the page

A dual stage boost controller with stock boost as low setting and an adjustable high boost setting. This could possibly use the stock turbo 2 boost control solenoid, otherwise a solenoid will have to be found from a wreck somewhere.

And lastly, an extra injector controller. This controller wouldnt be anything too flash, it would just basically add up the boost and rev signals and give you more fuel the higher they go, it would start delivering fuel at 14-15psi. I will dyno tune this controller on a city engine before I even think of selling them so it will all be set up to give as close as i can get to 12.5:1 upto about 25psi with projected outputs upto 35psi(when the city MAP sensor maxes out) or to the injector maxing out, whichever comes first. This would mean you would have to mount and plumb up the injector yourself, in the red PGM-F1 thing or just after the TB or something, and you would have to use whatever injector I used to calibrate mine, it would be something easy to find, like a b16 or WRX injector or something. Might need two, ill see how it goes.

So, all this stuff means that you could boost upto whatever your engine can physically handle, like 25-30psi or whatever, and not have to worry about fueling. You wouldnt have to go this high either, if your engine is fairly tired you could just liven things up with a nice safe 18psi or so, and still not worry about leaning out.

So,this thing would be very thorougly tested, but still, as you are increasing boost over factory, there is going to be a higher chance of failures, its just the chance you have to take in the quest for MORE POWER.

This is not something I might do, this is something I will be doing in the next six months, I put this post up here to guage whether people would be intrested in being able to purchase one of these, at a very very rough guess they would be about $100 each for just the black box, and extra if you want me to supply the solenoid and injector and stuff. If enough people are instrested, ie like 3-4 then I will get the circuit boards all professinally made as its fairly labour intensive for me.

Fabrication is my holiday job i could also modify people in NZ's PGM-F1 thingies to suit an extra injector, as I will be doing to my car, but we shall see how easy it is for me to do.

Anyway, im not out to dick any of my city turbo family ;)
but I think its fair that I make a little money to cover all my labour and the r&d I will have to put into this to make it go ;D

We shall all see within the next few months how this goes and whether my ideas even work in practice.

Let me know what you think fella's.

Man i just previewed that, thats a hooge post!!

Hyperblade

Re: FCD-Boost controller-Extra Injector Controller

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:29 pm

Sounds excatly like what im after.

Can you add in a output for laptop diagnostic checking? And altering settings digitaly?

And if it could use the exsisting solinoid even better!

If you do have all these features, i will be keen, as a full package controlling boost, fuel control, a FCD made for a city turbo would be extremely nice.

And i take it a full 100 page wriiten instruction book will come with these to tell us how to use it? :p

If you can pull it off, I will buy one. (as long as its around the $100 mark) And I fully agree you should get a cut, for all the work that will be invovlved.

James

Postby James » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:51 pm

For simplicities sake, the first edition of this will be a mainly analog deal that means that circuits will be set up to deal with everything and configured with resistors and stuff, if there is any adjustment it will be in the way of little set screws that you turn, except for the high boost setting which will be an adjustable knob that you can mount on the steering column or something. The unit shouldn't need any adjustment because it will be all set up to work perfectly with city turbos that are stock apart from intercooler and exahust and other basic mods, if your engine is a race demon, then this isn't the package for you.

This is going to be a cheap, easy to install (possibly plug and play), package that won't require any special hand controllers or computers or any tuning except for setting the high boost setting. Its designed to allow you to run a bit more boost in a relatively stock engine.

There are a few reasons for it being this simple.
a) I am not planning to run ridiculous boost in my car, just a bit of a tickle upto say 20psi to shit on some skylines :P
b) Im a poor as f**k student who should be studying, not working on his car
c) full engine management can be had second hand for about $4-500, fairly cheap if you wanna head that way
d) WE ARE ALL TIGHT BASTIDS, ie, if I made it do everything you wanted, then it would be a $4-500 piece of equipment and theres like 1 person on this board with that much money ;D

Being able to log the values and adjust them via laptop would SIGNIFICANTLY increase the cost of the parts involved and the complexity of the circuits, this is not to say I couldn't do it, but its something that will take a lot of development. And thusly, it would increase in price dramatically and probably decrease reliability.

As a foot note, I will be able to offer just an FCD for about $30 within the next 2 months for those that dont have the clams for the full deal.

So in answer to your question, no it won't have an output for data logging or adjusting settings digitally, if you want that, then run a LINK or a WOLF 3D.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:01 pm

Its only a little extra work..pleaseeeee????

Na j/k

its sweet, just would have been nice, im still keen, just i have a laptop here would be nice to hookup for some data logging, but oh well.

James

Postby James » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:48 pm

Yeah i have a laptop too, they are mean ;D I might have a look at making a data logging circuit too, shouldn't be too hard just a few analog to digital converters and a cpu loggin shit every 0.2 of a second or something, might be something to think about.

chupa
Forum Regular

Postby chupa » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:00 pm

I'd be interested for sure.  As soon as I hear that somebody else (apart from you) has gotten it going without too many hassles, I'll give it a go!

James

Postby James » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:05 pm

Sweet as, yeah I can understand your hesitation m8 hehe ;D

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:18 pm

sounds good
ile give it a try ;)

James

Postby James » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:30 pm

Sweet, looks like there will be enough to make this viable for me to make, I'll get cracking as soon as I can.
;D ;D 8) 8)

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:49 pm

Assuming they work out good and reliable
I am definately interested!

PLease  please please keep the process going and keep us informed...Im sure shipping to Brissie wouldnt be a problem
for the (Im sure) 4 or 5 of us abouts.....
....a saturday spent together installing on our cars
would be good, bulk postage might save cash etc, and savings maybe on a group buy of injectors etc...

for the T1 guys would it be same module!!??
Simon

AnimaLector
Forum Enthusiast

Postby AnimaLector » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:16 am

Hey there, This is a great idea.  It's beena while since I've been here, but that engine monitor / data logger I was making is half way there. I have made 5 boards, but am yet to finish putting components on a single one. it's been pretty busy at home and at work. Maybe this will be usefull in conjunction with this controller, Mine basically monitors all engine vitals, and will output serial to a PC for logging purposes.

Bigelboe, if you want any ideas / assistance, let me know :-)

Andy

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:27 am

im hell keen for a FCD ! :)

Jw

James

Postby James » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:35 pm

Hey Quicklude, Im hoping to get my car by the end of the month, so straight away i'll have a prototype FCD to go on it, couple of days testing and I should be able to hook you up, it will be something like $35 including postage, shouldn't be much of a stretch for most ;D

As for the reliability issues, there will be MUCH road testing before I consider giving this to other people, I don't want to f**k around trying to figure out whats wrong with peoples cars on the other side of the tasman!!

I will have detailed step by step instructions, with wire colours and locations and stuff, so it should be pretty easy to install. It will be like cut one wire and strip and solder to about 3 more. The most difficult part for anyone will be the fabrication for the mounting of the extra injector. I might be able to do an exchange program when you send me you PGM-F1 thingie and I send you back one with an injector in it, then all you guys would have to do it put a tee in your fuel system somewhere before the regulator. I could prolly also turn the inlet around at the same time if you wanted.

But if you guys want definate reliability then I will want to "soak" test it in my own car for a month or so, just to make sure no issues arise. And hopefully Ill be able to round up some cash and get it on a dyno with a wideband o2 sensor and have a look at some mixtures and power outputs you guys can expect.

Hyper, the easiest way to do the injector thing is to buy them off me, that way I can make sure youve got the right one, and that means that I can just go to a wreckers and buy them in sets of four, wreckers don't like it when you try to buy 1 injector :P.

They will prolly come to like 15 bucks each anyway. Then probly a couple hours labour for me to modify the plenum, so you would be looking at like 150-160NZD for a fully bolt on setup, all you have to do is plumb up the fuel and cut and solder a few wires and away you go.

This is probably how I would prefer to get the out to you guys, cause this would mean less hassle for me trying to work out why the injector system you have fabricated isnt working like the circuit wants it to. And it would mean less hassle for you guys too.

For the full setups, with me modifying plenums, we are probably looking at the end of november, cause thats when I get off uni, and back into the workshop.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:22 pm

Thing is I dont want to run the extra injector straight away, thats a long term project, I just want the option there  ;)

James

Postby James » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:07 pm

Then don't ;D

Return to “General”