I'm developing a performance suspension package for City's

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:42 pm

forgot to ask how will the dampening be adjusted on these ( sorry if you have already covered that and i missed it).

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 am

^ Koni red style, remove spring and top hat, compress the shaft fully and adjustment is done by turning the shaft left hand for softer right hand for harder,

Pretty simple just requires disassembly to do.

Quite often Reds can be converted to yellows with external adjustment I think.

As they are Koni you can have whatever you want done to them pretty much, including adjustable rebound damening.

I dont think I will want a set as the city doesnt get used enough as it is, but might be keen for you to make some spring hats and convert my KYBs to circlip height adjustable.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:25 pm

disassemble...........ouch i have a little knob on the top of mine that you can turn either way in seconds,so if i know ime about to head up a really bumpy prick of a road i can get out and wind em to soft.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:18 am

Yeah its not as convenient as that, but most people I have known with adjustable suspension just tweak it a few times when they install it to get it where they want, and leave it at that. A lot of modern cars you have to dissasemble the interior of the car to get at the rear shocks to adjust them anyway.

You are only adjusting the rebound of the shock (pretty much universal on cheapish shocks), and you are doing it to mainly control the weight transfer into and out of corners (how fast the outside and inside tire transition, or the front and rear) , so ideally you should nail it down to one street setting, and one track setting.

Shock tubes will be hopefully made this week, I only had enough tube to make 3 sets, but if there is demand then making more shouldn't be too much of a problem.

There is also the option of putting Koni Yellow inserts in these tubes which are externally adjustable, but they will be more expensive than the Koni Red option.

Basically I have gone with Koni as they are a tried and tested brand, with great support and service. You can still get a 30 y/o shock completely torn down, rebuilt and revalved to suit your needs. I see this as a fairly significant improvement over the basically disposable cheap Chinese shocks like D2.

3GCVC, would you be interested in me trialling the suspension in one of your cars? I could come down for a weekend or something, chuck it in and see how it handles?

James

Postby James » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:53 am

The tubes should be made this week and are costing me $100 a set, I will get a set made for me, and a set for Glen, and if anyone else wants a set, let me know in the next two days.

James

Postby James » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:08 am

3rd set is gone 8)

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:43 pm

James wrote:Yeah its not as convenient as that, but most people I have known with adjustable suspension just tweak it a few times when they install it to get it where they want, and leave it at that. A lot of modern cars you have to dissasemble the interior of the car to get at the rear shocks to adjust them anyway.

You are only adjusting the rebound of the shock (pretty much universal on cheapish shocks), and you are doing it to mainly control the weight transfer into and out of corners (how fast the outside and inside tire transition, or the front and rear) , so ideally you should nail it down to one street setting, and one track setting.

Shock tubes will be hopefully made this week, I only had enough tube to make 3 sets, but if there is demand then making more shouldn't be too much of a problem.

There is also the option of putting Koni Yellow inserts in these tubes which are externally adjustable, but they will be more expensive than the Koni Red option.

Basically I have gone with Koni as they are a tried and tested brand, with great support and service. You can still get a 30 y/o shock completely torn down, rebuilt and revalved to suit your needs. I see this as a fairly significant improvement over the basically disposable cheap Chinese shocks like D2.

3GCVC, would you be interested in me trialling the suspension in one of your cars? I could come down for a weekend or something, chuck it in and see how it handles?

How soon will they be finished? My only city is up on jack stands for this whole year so far/ just needs inner / outer tie rod ends done and a wheel alignment done.

If i can get the car driving again should be no problem to test them, my motor is also a little sick so needs tons of boost to actually move lol.

craybait
Donating Member

adjustable suspension

Postby craybait » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:43 am

Hi James,I'll take a set[Perth W.A]would be interested in springs as well,I hope 3gcvc in N.Z still has the spare set i paid for a couple of years ago?
Thanks

snareth
Donating Member

Postby snareth » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:32 pm

hey i be keen to, base package with height adjust........or perhaps the works :twisted:

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spangleking » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Is that $800 kit delivered anywhere in NZ?

James

Postby James » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:54 am

I'm no longer doing those kits that are in the first post, the current thing being offered is 4 new Koni Red adjustable shocks, with height adjustability on the fronts, for around $900. Price is yet to be finalized (will be when I get hold of the parts) and that doesn't include delivery.

I have heard back from the people that are stocking the Koni Red inserts and they have enough for at least a few more sets, but probably no more than 10.

snareth
Donating Member

Postby snareth » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:50 pm

cool.....im still keen as, is that for springs aswell? or do you guys know where to get some lowered springs......preferably as low as possible :D

James

Postby James » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:54 am

The $900ish is not including springs, the shocks will take standard coilover springs with a 63.5mm or a 70mm ID, meaning you can get them from where-ever you want. Good quality ones are about $120 a set.

The shocks are height adjustable, and start at 50mm lower than stock so they will go plenty low, probably undriveably so.

Shock tubes are being made next weekend. They would have been made this weekend but the guy is on Holiday. They are being done as a favour on the side, otherwise they would cost about $200 each, or $800 for a car.

snareth
Donating Member

Postby snareth » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:11 am

coolness!! put me down for a set if theres a set to be down for. 8)

James

Postby James » Sun May 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Cool, looks like there will be enough people keen to do two batches of 3 sets each.

Made a pair of spring cups for the prototype set today

Started with some square blanks.

Turned them round, got some hot swarf in my eye too, ouch!

Left the insides unfinished at the moment, will wait till I get the tubes so I can turn a perfect fitting thread on the inside. There will be a locknut to go with.

Need to sort out what I am going to do for strut tops, I have a few ideas of what an adjustable one will look like, just need to refine it so its easy to make.

Return to “General”