City pro... cabriolet?

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
AliciaJane
Forum Participant

City pro... cabriolet?

Postby AliciaJane » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi all, I'm new here and know nothing about cars (but very keen to learn).

Was wondering whether I can put a an '83 city pro motor into an '86 cabriolet?

Also wondering what other parts from a '83 city pro (the minivan kind) could be used in an '86 cabriolet and what parts could not?

My city pro's chassis is broken but everything else is all good and I know someone with a cabriolet that's just sitting around doing nothing, but it's insides are pretty rotten.

Would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Alicia.

crispy
Forum Regular

Re: City pro... cabriolet?

Postby crispy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Should be a very easy swap as they had pretty much the exact same engines in them (the Aus ProT's got the upgraded ignition, the same as the City R's and cabrios).
Pretty much just unbolt from one and drop into the other as far as i know. Would be easy enough to do as a backyard project if you had the tools to do it (or know someone that does :P )

All the other little bits and trimmings should be compatible between the two with the obvious exception being anything that is to do with the convertible section or outer body panels.
I've been switching parts from my half dead Jap City E into my Aus ProT without any issues. Even stole the nice high backed Turbo seats which someone put into the City E (and they aren't even torn :O )

AliciaJane
Forum Participant

Postby AliciaJane » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:11 pm

High backed turbo seats sound nice! :D

My old car is a '83 City Pro Van (VF?) which might be different to the City R? I know that my '83 has a leaded fuel engine (so I used unleaded and put an additive in) and the later models like the the '86 Cabriolet use unleaded. Would that make any difference? Will my old engine definitely fit into the Cabriolet? The Cabriolet doesn't have an engine at the moment...

I won't be doing the job myself but I have a 2nd cousin who is a mechanic and gives me good deals. I'm not very close to him though so I don't want to stretch the friendship and bother him about these sorts of questions and he doesn't know much about these cars specifically anyway...

I just want to be absolutely sure that my '83 city pro's bits will go into the Cabriolet so that I don't fork out for a car body that I can't use :oops:

Thanks in advance,
Alicia.

crispy
Forum Regular

Postby crispy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:11 pm

The VF vans were called the ProT here in Aus, which is what my white one is. My point was that the Aus parts and Jap parts (from the E) were interchangeable. my white ProT and red E are identical except for the japanese dash cluster and the extra emissions equipment in the ProT.

All the City's from this time ran the ER 1.2L engine, so basics like engine mounts and such should be exactly the same. The only difference i could potentially see is if the drive shafts from the gearbox to the wheels are different. The Cabrios had a wide body like the Turbo2's, which may mean they had longer shafts. If the cabrio body you have seen has the shafts, then they should just plug in like normal.

If anybody knows that there is a difference between T2 and other city axle shafts, that could help.

AliciaJane
Forum Participant

Postby AliciaJane » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Okay, thanks for the info. It really helps :)

Also wondering what the experts/enthusiasts on here think an '86 Cabriolet would be worth for just the shell (red colour, paint okay but not brilliant, same goes for upholstery etc)?

And what it would be worth once I've got all the working parts in and it's diving well (but without a cosmetic facelift, no new paint or anything...)?

There is also one small leak in the soft top roof. Not sure what to do about that....

crispy
Forum Regular

Postby crispy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Well, not to boast, but i've owned/ bought/ sold a few City's this year, but none were cabrios.

I've bought a '83 T1 in rather poor condition, unlic for $200. did a fair amount of work to it to get it rego'd, sold it for over 1k with a dying engine.
bought an '84 ProT, $400 with a smashed rear window. have tidied it up with parts from other City's. Would expect up to 1k for it now.
bout an '8X E, $250 used to carry horse tack and such, unlic, rather bad condition. mainly used it for parts for the above City's. still drives, using to teach my cousin. would hope to get similar to what i paid for it.

There is/ was a white ProT auto on WA gumtree, unlic trying to sell for $350, been there a while.

So, just a cab shell? only a couple of hundred max. Once it's up and running and happy, **IN MY OPINION** it could easily be worth over 1k as they are quite rare.

See if there is a place that can patch/ repair the roof, i imagine a replacement one would cost an arm and a leg.

Return to “General”