T1 Misfire/Boost Cut Shennanigans

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
daffyflyer
Forum Participant

Re: T1 Misfire/Boost Cut Shennanigans

Postby daffyflyer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Replaced the coil to dizzy lead and cleaned up all the distributor terminals/rotor arm etc tonight. Still seems to misfire, although maybe not quuuuite as bad? Methinks coil next.

daffyflyer
Forum Participant

Postby daffyflyer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:27 pm

New NGK plugs gapped nice and tight, and an MSD Blaster Coil. Aaaaannd runs just as shitty as before.

Shit, guess it's time to look more seriously at fuel system and ECU stuff next.

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Postby KingCity » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:52 pm

Bugger, shame you don't live near me as then you could just bring it around & swap over parts until we found the issue. One other thing to check is to make sure all the vacuum lines are correctly connected, sometimes if you get a couple around the wrong way the car wont run right, I had this issue with my very first turbo city as the previous owners for some reason swapped them around.

daffyflyer
Forum Participant

Postby daffyflyer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:47 am

Cheers for the tip! Spent yesterday checking out all the vac lines, all seem to go to the right spot, and I removed the T-pieces for the boost gauge and BOV to see if they were leaking (nope!)

Also checked the ECU for codes, and low and behold it's throwing code 1 (O2 Sensor). Chucked a multimeter on the O2 sensor, and it's showing about .4v at idle/light throttle no load. Which sounds a biiiit too lean to me? Also doesn't seem to change much if you blip the throttle which doesn't seem quite right to me.

If it was a normal modern ECU setup I'd assume it couldn't possibly be the O2 sensor causing high load/boost misfire, as it should all be in Open Loop at that point, but I'm wondering if because it's from the dawn of EFI, if it's using the O2 sensor all the time? Either way, I've got a new O2 Sensor on order, and we'll see how that goes..

Interestingly, we accidently drove it with an intercooler hose missing (thus leaking 100% of it's boost) and it seemed to still have a at least a bit of a high load misfire, so maybe it's NOT boost related?

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:53 am

daffyflyer wrote:Cheers for the tip! Spent yesterday checking out all the vac lines, all seem to go to the right spot, and I removed the T-pieces for the boost gauge and BOV to see if they were leaking (nope!)

Also checked the ECU for codes, and low and behold it's throwing code 1 (O2 Sensor). Chucked a multimeter on the O2 sensor, and it's showing about .4v at idle/light throttle no load. Which sounds a biiiit too lean to me? Also doesn't seem to change much if you blip the throttle which doesn't seem quite right to me.

If it was a normal modern ECU setup I'd assume it couldn't possibly be the O2 sensor causing high load/boost misfire, as it should all be in Open Loop at that point, but I'm wondering if because it's from the dawn of EFI, if it's using the O2 sensor all the time? Either way, I've got a new O2 Sensor on order, and we'll see how that goes..

Interestingly, we accidently drove it with an intercooler hose missing (thus leaking 100% of it's boost) and it seemed to still have a at least a bit of a high load misfire, so maybe it's NOT boost related?

Hmm one thing you could try is wiring waste gate open, so you get no boost at all. That would allow you to check if the engine is reving out normally.

daffyflyer
Forum Participant

Postby daffyflyer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:14 am

Hyperblade wrote:Hmm one thing you could try is wiring waste gate open, so you get no boost at all. That would allow you to check if the engine is reving out normally.

Ehhhh, kinda, will still boost because the damned wastegate is too small, might need to do a combination of wastegate stuck open and intercooler hose removed to acheave true 0 boost (and keep the turbo down to a sane speed)

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Postby KingCity » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Yeah I recently changed a O2 sensor on my mates T2 engine as the O2 sensor code was showing up but apart from a slightly rougher idle the car still ran fine & had no issues with over boost/creep. The only thing that made it annoying was the extra fuel it was eating but yeah still drove alright so I really doubt the O2 sensor is the main issue, if it was a wideband O2 sensor then yeah i'd be pointing the finger at it but change it & see how you go, it could prove me wrong, Oh & have you checked the cam belt yet to make sure its not a tooth out & dizzy timing.

daffyflyer
Forum Participant

Postby daffyflyer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:05 pm

Yeah, I doubt it's the O2 sensor too, but at least if I can get it to stop showing that code it might show another.

I noticed two things today

1: the fuel pump whirring ocassionaly gets lower pitched and there is a loss of power at the same time. This happens either at random, or when turning left consistantly. Suspect poor wiring or faulty pump.

2: It accelerates way harder at half throttle than full, full throttle even at low RPM and boost results in misfire hell and a top speed of about 60kph, half throttle lets you actually get through the rev range with a bit of boost.. wonder if it's a TPS thing?

Anyway, I'll do the O2 sensor, and check out the fuel pump and see how we go.

Doubt it's cam timing, as it's kind of intermittant, and seems to be getting worse.
Last edited by daffyflyer on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daffyflyer
Forum Participant

Postby daffyflyer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:09 pm

*double post*

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Postby KingCity » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:42 pm

You'd be right about the timing side of things due to inconsistent running, it could be the fuel pump as i've had a couple of T1 pumps crap out, giving them a tap with a small hammer gets them going for a little while but it wouldn't over boost as it would struggle to make any boost before it started missing but you could be on the right track. I don't have any spares but get a Holden VL fuel pump as they are much easier to find than turbo City ones.

daffyflyer
Forum Participant

Postby daffyflyer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Aaaand you're quite correct, I came to the same conclusion at the same time you did. It had a Bosch 044 in it, but at some point a rock or something had hit it, and it started leaking fuel out of the positive terminal (eek!).

Fresh Deatchwerks pump installed, and now the thing happily boosts along like nobodies business, and has a vendetta against it's own front tyres :D

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:29 pm

daffyflyer wrote:Aaaand you're quite correct, I came to the same conclusion at the same time you did. It had a Bosch 044 in it, but at some point a rock or something had hit it, and it started leaking fuel out of the positive terminal (eek!).

Fresh Deatchwerks pump installed, and now the thing happily boosts along like nobodies business, and has a vendetta against it's own front tyres :D

Well done on getting it going!

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Postby KingCity » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:27 pm

Damn this makes me feel stupid for not pointing in that direction earlier but at least you found the problem & yeah go have some fun shredding your tyres LOL.

Return to “General”