A few passing ideas (building a Turbo 2)

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
avjoe
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

A few passing ideas (building a Turbo 2)

Postby avjoe » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:00 am

So as I embark on building my T2, Ive thought of the best way to go about building a simplistic engine thats easily tunable in a modern sense.

One idea ive dabled with is using a non ccvc head, does anyone have any experience with this and can shed some light on if theres a specific head you can use on a turbo bottom end? And if there would be any benefits to a engine built for power?

Secondly is running a stand alone computer, if you were to eliminate the ccvc, I dont see why there should be any trouble running something like a link in a Turbo city if you were to say modify the intake to accommodate a h22a throttle body for example?

Im not expert, im just going on what ive learnt and been told from others.

Any input and disgustion is openly welcomed, im just after a soild end result!

Thanks heaps.

Joe

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Re: A few passing ideas (building a Turbo 2)

Postby KingCity » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi AVJOE & welcome. Good to see someone else is keen to take the City engine to a new extreme. Yes I also had the exact same idea with the turbo block & N/A head to make some half decent power, this had been in the pipe line for some years but didn't feel it was worth the time & effort for what I would gain however only a few months ago I was about to commit to this modification but had a change of heart again once I done some more research. The first thing to note is that the 8 valve head (black top) is very different than Cvcc heads, you cant even use the turbo rocker cover on it as it leaves a massive gap on the crank/cam angle sensor end corner but the main thing that put me off is that none of the turbo manifolds fit let alone line up with the ports therefore a full custom exhaust & intake manifold will have to be made & if you cant do that yourself then its going to be expensive. The other thing is that the intake & exhaust ports a notably smaller plus number 2 & 3 exhaust ports are extremely close to each other so you will be limited on how big you can open up these ports. Valves are very similar however I believe the turbo city exhaust valve is thicker but you could get the valves fitted from a turbo head to the N/A head. The next problem you will come across is that the crank/cam sensor & dizzy cup doesn't bolt up correctly to the N/A head as one of the bolt locations is in a completely different spot & finely the last issue to be sorted is the pistons. You will need to get custom made pistons to sort the high compression issue gain by using the N/A head so once you take all this into account then you might as well get the most out of what you have done to the engine & get custom rods, bigger better turbo, external wastegate, get a full replacement ECU as the standard one wont like the non Cvcc setup, you will need to get rid of the dizzy & fit a crank position sensor for firing points so the ECU will work at its best to control timing with a coil on plug type setup, if you can get the needed parts cheap & do the fabrication work yourself then yeah it could be worth it but buying a decent new aftermarket ECU & paying a workshop to do all the work/mods then its unlikely you will see any change out of 10k & is it really worth 10k to gain about 20-30wkw (Around 120kw at the wheels) more than a boosted turbo city engine, no doubt it will drive much better than a turbo city motor & have much better response & low down torque but the way I see it its just cheaper & better to do a D-series conversion like a few have done now or especially like TURBOCAB's build. Sorry for the long read, I do struggle with short explanations.

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Turbo3 has done some work in this area. As far I know (as of 6 months ago) it isn't running yet. I will see if I can find pics over the weekend.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1849

KingCity
Forum Enthusiast

Postby KingCity » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Hyperblade wrote:Turbo3 has done some work in this area. As far I know (as of 6 months ago) it isn't running yet. I will see if I can find pics over the weekend.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1849

Yeah what he explains is what I was getting at, that's an old post & he still hasn't finished it, he may have changed his mind about it.

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:28 am

KingCity wrote:
Hyperblade wrote:Turbo3 has done some work in this area. As far I know (as of 6 months ago) it isn't running yet. I will see if I can find pics over the weekend.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1849

Yeah what he explains is what I was getting at, that's an old post & he still hasn't finished it, he may have changed his mind about it.

Pete is still working on it slowly. I know he has been busy with life so it has been put on the back burner over the years, but he's slowly making progress.

You can see the work done from a few years back in the following images.

Return to “General”