Wierd Noise

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Henry
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: Wierd Noise

Postby Henry » Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:45 pm

Loren, can't help with the noise but the tappet cover bolt torque is 0.8 - 1.2kg-m. You will find that these are stepped studs, eg have a shoulder that the washer comes down against so doing it up tighter won't push the cover down any further to seal against the gasket, which is different to the City-Pro gasket. Mine leaked a bit so I put a wide area washer under the chrome one, with a centre hole big enough to go past the shoulder on the stud. This will push the cover down by the thickness of the washer and if your'e lucky, your leak will go away. Good luck.  henry

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo3 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:53 am

Excellent work Loren!!  ;D

Great to hear you're on the road!!
I recall a BOV sound from mine after you lift the gas from full noise. More prominent when it's really doing some work eg, up hills!!
I was thinking there may be a recirculating valve like a blow-off but venting back to the inlet before the turbo.

Are you keen on putting in a BOV in there anyway?
It would surprise a few people eh!

Pete 8)

BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Postby BOOSTBOY » Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:37 am

Congratulations!  Must be a great feeling to have it all up and running!

The noise you are hearing would be compresser flutter.  It happens when you are on boost and then you close the throttle.  What happens is you have the volume in the 'cooler pipes under pressure/flow conditions and then you suddenly shut the throttle.  The air then has nowhere to go except back out the inlet through the still spinning compressor wheel of the turbo.  The noise you hear is the air passing through the spinnig blades of the compressor wheel.  Some say it is bad for the turbo as it exerts forces on the turbo it wasn't desined for but i don't believe that and have never seen turbo failure as a result.  

Installing a blow off valve will stop this noise if you dont like it but i think it sounds quite cool!  I bet you have a pod filter there too right?  A standard airbox will muffle the noise as well....

Hope that helps

Glenn

BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Postby BOOSTBOY » Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:54 am

I believe that it has very little or no effect on the life/reliability of a turbocharger.  
Any blow off valve will work on the city turbo as they use a MAP sensor which isn't as sensitive to leakage as an airflow meter.

Brendan
Admin

Postby Brendan » Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:33 pm

Hey congratulations on getting the little beast up and running!  Its all worth it in the end! :)

I'll third the explanations for that sound.  I've got a GFB bov on my 200sx but I still get that flutter sound when I back off hard which is kind of strange?

A bov is definately a very good add-on, they sound bloody awesome!

Tony
Forum Regular

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:27 am

Hey Loren

Yeah excellent to hear you've got it up and running, pass on the noise but sounds like the other guys have got it nailled.  I didn't get that noise on mine but then I'm still running the standard airbox setup (hopefully not for much longer).  I'm using a racepro BOV on mine which is also probably helping eliminate the noise you've described and it does sound cool and the surprised faces when people hear it coming from a little City makes it all worthwhile.  Any chance of some pics?

Cheers

Tony  ;D

Henry
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Henry » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:05 pm

If that was a new gasket, where did you get it. Henry

BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Postby BOOSTBOY » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:19 am

Likewise, where did you get it?  Do you still need a rocker cover?

BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Postby BOOSTBOY » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:28 am

Sorry about the delay, ill send it tonight or tomorrow...

Return to “General”