Vacumn advance/electrical fault for rev bounce

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Smithy
Forum Addict

Vacumn advance/electrical fault for rev bounce

Postby Smithy » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:18 pm

OK dokey
IF any one remembers I've noted that my revs bounce sometimes at idle.
Now, seeing as though the vacumn advance on the distributer had the hoses removed and blocked off, I figured it was r00ted, as when I put them on, no dif.

NOw , I've gone out and bought a Brand new HONDA replacement, which they actually had in stock at WESTMORE HONDA (behind the RE, off Coro Drv. Brisbane)....$208 ...poo.
Any way, put it on, idle higher at start up, STILL bounces, Torque improved, much smoother accelaration when boost comes on, not so sudden if you know hwat I mean.   much easier to drive around the 3500-5000 range, more smoother.
BUT still doesnt idle right, I want to experience the lower idle thing fo rfuel economy that its supposed to do!
BUT I've noticed that when at operating temp. the rev bounce only happens when the thermo fan (factory fan)
switches on, when off, revs settle again.
but still higher than I expect.
Could the alternator be dying?
the battery?
maybe the timing as advanced to much?
...i read here that Oz mechanics advanced them due to the shitty fuel we used to have but now with OPtimax/Ultimate  that would be not necessary right??

what do you reckon?
I dont regret gettin the Vac.advance as it feels SO much nicer...feels like its been tuned!
Also noted during fitting that it wasnt the dash shitin up with the brake light, it was that the brake master cylinder fluid level was just below minimum, so got to fix that!
ALSO , again, noted the engine mount there(central, to back of engine bay) is pretty much vacant of rubber!
interesting that the interrcooler  piping and mount were acting as an engine/torque stay.  with them back on the engine moved much less due to there stiffness!!

well, Ill have to start looking at engine mounts next...
any suggestions, any one with a spare??
easy to fit??

you've been a lovely audience. :)

blitz_power

Re: Vacumn advance/electrical fault for rev bounce

Postby blitz_power » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:15 pm

Do you mean the rev is going up and down when idling?
I have that problem too but when i turn on the fog light and the heater. Only when my turbo timer start calculating it will go rev bounce. When i turn off the heater it sounds good.
I have tried to use a screwdriver to screw the throttle body and tune . Goes better. BUt not accurate.

kenny
Forum Enthusiast

Postby kenny » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:12 am

hey

i have had the same problem with mi t2 too. when it heats up it hunts (revs up and down), some times i goes away but still cant find out what it is. :-/

one thing to do is to check all the hoses make shure that they are not craked.

hope it helps kenny. 8)

si
Donating Member

Postby si » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:09 pm

I sometimes get the same thing when it heats up too. Haven't checked the hoses yet though.  :-/

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:36 pm

yo smithy, start a new topic on the engine mounts (for searching purposes) and ill tell you want me and pgnuta did to fix ours for $20 (3 cars)  :)

Jw

ct
Forum Participant

Postby ct » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:30 pm

Hi Guys,
            Have a look at your vacuum solenoid in the black box with all the vacuum line going into it. The solenoid is activated when things like the thermofan, lights, air con, etc come on to increase the idel so the car wont stall.  So if the car is hunting when the fan or lights are turned maybe the vacuum solenoid could be the problem, or it could just be adjusted wrong. There is a flathead screw with a bolt on it that you can adjust to change how much the throttle is affected by the solenoid (on the drivers side of the throttle body). This screw is often confussed with the ideal control screw which is at the back of the throttle body. I could be wrong but i thought that it could be worth mentioning.

Hope it helps
Cheers
Chris ;D

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:51 pm

ahhh good info there chris!!

(runs out the door to try)

Return to “General”