What the fudge is this noise???

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Smithy
Forum Addict

What the fudge is this noise???

Postby Smithy » Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:45 pm

Okey,
apart from the rubber free engine torque stay, the bouncing idle, the squeaky belts, and the rattley cat; At the moment I really need help finding the source and fixing this NOISE!

no it seems to be coming from the air conditioner unit (at the top?), or under there somewhere.
(could be something to do with the belts?)
It sounds like something knocking as well as spinning?!?
when I turn off the engine it sounds like its carrys on a couple of spins.  if its is the aircon does it have a clutch mech for when it engages? maybe thats rooted so its partially touching and rotating ?
NOw has any one else have similar experience with this problem?
Is it fixable by removing the belt from the air con that goes to the bottom big crank belt wheel thingy?
while Im here how many belts are there ? what goes where etc?
ALso what are the chances this noise is the water pump? where is the water pump exactly? surely its up that end as thats where the belts are.  Im concerned if it is the water pump that busted bits of it are being spun around and gouging scrapes of engine blo9ck (whatever else) off the block...

I really gotta get this one sorted quick.
thanks in advanace.....:)  

Henry
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: What the F#@*s this noise.???

Postby Henry » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:24 pm

Sounds like the air con clutch in the compressor pulley, what happens when you turn air-con on? Water pump is below and behind the compressor, replace it if you have the other bits off, standard city pro one will fit, buy an after-market one for around $80 Taking the aircon belt off should give you a fix until the first hot day. Have fun.  Henry

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:47 pm

bet ya its the water pump :)

disconect the air con cause it can be the bearing in there BUT citys are bad at eating water pumps...

Had 3 citys and had to do the water pump in two of them!!! (within 6 months!)

Jw.

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:07 pm

Yeah, my dad said when i turn o th eAir con it should stop but hey, it doesn't.
The last time I drove it, it was noisy , I'd say, 5% of the time.   then it would start again for no particular reason.

So how hard is it to get to the water pump, is it the third wheel on the alternator belt pulley system? can I get to that without having to remove to much?

Oh ,what was the condition of the engine where the Water pump was taken out? is it likely to have caused much damage?

Thanks for those ideas too!. Im gunna ask the Westmore Honda guy/or the other guy Scott, Sumner Park HOnda what they reckon too.

I could do the alternator belt myself probably, Would a gasket need replacing when the water pumps out there?  

si
Donating Member

Postby si » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:10 pm

i'm pretty sure the water pump on mine is rooted too.  where abouts would i get a replacement?

simon

blitz_power

Postby blitz_power » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:57 pm

Well I think is your water pump. because of this pump i was having no hope for the car anymore. I have keep asking topic about "Engine problem" " BIg end problem" and etc.

The bearing noise is like coming out of the engine but it is not. It is the water pump producing the noise. I was driving suddenly the water pump pulley came off and the belt came off as well. You will hate that noise when full boost. I am very sure the water pump do produce a sound when the bearing is crack or corroded.

Totally panic that time but i was wondering that the car still can go without the charging. Once i found out that is the water pump pulley i went to meet kenny for a second hand water pump .

Finally after installing it. The engine is totally quiet as before. It is very hard to diagnose noise problem.

I am pretty happy with it because the water pump pulley before was corroded and the bearing was cracked.

The water pump is just located above the alternator where you can see the pulley on the top and it is pulling the alternator and the engine. There are around 4 screws which you need to take it off and the seal where they cover the timing belt.  

Hope this will help you.

Arnold  ;)

kenny
Forum Enthusiast

Postby kenny » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:48 am

hey

do you want a good second hand water pump $40 aus

thanks kenny 8)

Smithy
Forum Addict

Re: What the fudge is this noise???

Postby Smithy » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:58 pm

hmm, well where are you? for the second hand one.
I might just buy a new one so i dont have to go through the instalation process again.

question on the belts, is the timing belt going to have to be removed to get the waterpump/alternator/other wheel belt off.  Do you think I'll have to get a new gasket too?...

Screw it, Im gunna take off the water poump tomorrow, I kinda hope it is that so its not to hard to fix.

fingers crossed.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:58 pm

its simple.

Have to take the belt off it of course.
then start undoing all the bolts around/on the pump ;)

A new pump will come with a new gaskit.
The pumps are $80nz new from repco.. I cant remember who makes them, mite have the box still.

I think i Might make a list of some part numbers from makers for you guys in oz!

Have fun doing it anyway, its simple enough, just a bit tight for run, if u have aircon REMOVE it ;)

Jw

kenny
Forum Enthusiast

Postby kenny » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:00 am

hey

i am in perth, and yes u might need a new gasket

thanks kenny 8)

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:13 pm

Yeah , im pretty convinced its the water pump.

I've contected Adrian at Westmore Honda for a price of the Honda replacement, he also thinks its a generic Honda part, so should likely be in stock.
Iwas gunna do it myself but i don't like the lok of those teenagers.  ...i mean the air con has some bits that dont look to flexible, so I dont really wanna kill it.
Im propbably going to get them to install it , may as well change all the belts (timing etx) while there.
The alternator belt ( that the same on the Water pumps on right?) is looking pretty funky.  Its the three toothed one, probably why it wears quick. rather than a standard fan belt V one.  Its cracking all the length.

Seeing as the water pumps comin out, do you think they'd have any objection to reusing my coolant.
I paid 30squid for decent coolant with bette "anti corrosion properties", just four days ago, and only driven 35ks, (which is when I realised how bad the noise fromthe water pump was), so I dont really wanna waste it!

blitz_power

Postby blitz_power » Thu May 01, 2003 3:54 am

I did it by myself. It is quite easy. Four bolts on the water pump, 3 bolts on the pulley, you can use a gasket glue to put it in instead of a gasket.

Goodluck..

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Thu May 01, 2003 9:06 pm

Hey Dudes.
I got call back from Adrian (westmore Honda) guess the price of a new Water pump?......$220.
so Im officially after a second hand unit in Brisbane, good condition of course.  For 220 I d pay extra and get the DaviesCraig Electric water pump, can operate like a turbo timer keeping water circulating for set time after engine switched off.  If the engine bay had the room of course.

Any way, If your in Brisbane and have one Spare, I NEED IT URGENT!!! I ONly get weekends to do anything due to work so its urgent so I can actually leave home on the week end...
aarrgh.
Might try the numerous Jap wreckers around...
Any serial numbers I need to quote for T2 water pump???
cheers so much guys, great help :)  ...
Oh buy th eway.
Timing Belt HOnda for T2  $85 from Honda.

Henry
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Henry » Thu May 01, 2003 9:24 pm

I bought an after market one from an auto parts store for about $85 a few months ago. It's the same as the Pro T.

si
Donating Member

Postby si » Thu May 01, 2003 9:25 pm

hey mate,

gave repco a call today and they have the waterpumps for $95. just a little bit cheaper than from honda :o

i'm gonna pick one up sometime, and try install it myself....shouldnt be too hard  :)

simon

Return to “General”