RHB5

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
sportruck15m

RHB5

Postby sportruck15m » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:25 am

Anybody ever heard of this turbo ???  Im having it installed in my civic and was just wondering if anybody had some information on it, impressions, whatever.

Michael

Re: RHB5

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:13 pm

Yeh thats an IHI turbo that is used on the city turbos. There are two different specs one used on the t1 and a bigger one on the t2. Pictures can be obtained from the IHI web site or I have a copy saved if you have problems.

What type of civic is it for? Are you using the city turbo motor?

BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Postby BOOSTBOY » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:20 am

IHI RHB5 comes in many shapes and forms, the city turbo RHB51 being the smallest.  A very popular turbo on japanese engines in the late eighties, early nineties.  Off the top of my head the following cars use an IHI RHB5x:

Honda city turbo  ;)
Daihatsu Charade GTti
Ford Laser TX3 1.6 / 1.8
Mazda 323 1.6 / 1.8
Mazda MX6
Subaru Liberty/Legacy RS
Lots more but its too early in the day to remember!

The RHB then evolved into the RHF which is used on the STi versions of the Subaru WRX etc... This is a fantastic turbo, ball bearing core, modern lightweight impeller/turbine aerodynamics etc, equivalent to the Garrett GT series.

Japanese motorsport http://www.japanesemotorsport.com have a small RHF5 for sale in their used parts section which would be ideal for the city turbo. I suspect it may even bolt to the city manifold...

UR2FAT

Postby UR2FAT » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:40 pm

A bit OT  but what turbo does the Legacy RS use?
RHB5*?

Would the other RHB5 series turbo's fit straight on to the T2 exhaust manifold?

BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Postby BOOSTBOY » Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:17 pm

Legacy would use an RHB52 so it wont fit on the manifold.  The only one that will fit, as far as i know, is that of a charade GTti...

Turbo2
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo2 » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:49 am

Wats the name of the turbo which the GTti Charade runs
is it the T2 turbo also  

Will that just bolt straight on to the city manifold

is it that simple?

If so That would be great
Cause i have found a good second-hand recoditioned one for cheap mates rates.  

Sweet as

Yeah i blew my turbo a few weeks ago >:( and my citys running like a dog
Still looks good thou?
http://profiles.rebel.net.nz/profile.php?id=290

Need info now
:D

blitz_power

Postby blitz_power » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:07 pm

I have a RHB 5 turbo and i am thinking to put into my city turbo. THe problem is that the turbo is not bolt on and need to change the adapter plus the whole from the RHB 5 is slightly bigger than the original turbo.

Do you think it is worth to change the turbo? Cause i am worrying that if both the turbo same and produce the same power .

Pls enlighten

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo3 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:29 pm

Hey it's not that simple. A bigger turbo will flow more air to potentially give more power, but this needs to be balanced with the right amount of fuel. A bigger turbo also needs more exhaust gas pressure to make it spin hard enough to give you the extra power. If you can't get the gas to it, you can't make it do it's job. Even if you do, if your air fuel ratio isn't right, you'll either run too lean and melt pistons or not have air until you reach around 5,000 rpm!  :o
Stick with something smaller unless you are going to get really radical!! ;D
Pete 8)

blitz_power

Postby blitz_power » Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:24 pm

true..i can chuck in a turbo but have to add extra injector or piggy back computer? i just had a race lastnight with a Civic VTIR hatchback. Win him buy half a car . quite satisfied.  ;D ;D

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo3 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:03 am

Yo Blitz_power,

Nice work on taking down the Civic!! ;D
Yes, you could put in another injector and piggy with another computer. Again you need to make sure there's enough exhaust pressure to spin the turbo up properly otherwise you won't get any extra power at all. Then you need to be able to accurately adjust fuel mapping. If you can do all these things, go for it. If not, you'll end up with a slower car or melted engine!!  :-/

Pete 8)

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:56 pm

Get a link onto it!!

would make fiddling with a city SO SO SO much simpler, get rid of half of those painfull air lines!!  >:(

Could go REAL crazy then (looks in petes direction)  ::)
;)

Jw

turbo2boy

Postby turbo2boy » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:03 pm

me thinks the speks no is vg2 for the t1 and vg4 for the t2 ??? ???thats what it said on my 1ss

Return to “General”