Need some info on turbos

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Need some info on turbos

Postby Hyperblade » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:20 pm

Hi Everyone. Just brought a turbo 2 and the turbos stated making rattling noises, ive had a look at it and there is a lot of play in the shaft. i was wonderiing is a T1 turbo the same as a T2 turbo. And where is the best place to get a turbo checked out in Christchurch, NZ.

Thanks

Colza
Forum Addict

Re: I Just need some info on turbos

Postby Colza » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:49 pm

They are similar but the T2 turbo is slightly larger and has a different stud arangement on the exhaust pipe side.

Looking for a turbo place try the Yellow Pages.

I had a turbo that was doing that. The dude had been driving without an air-filter on gravel roads! Bearings were absolutely shagged. If it is rattling then it is probably hitting the sides (mine was) and there is no way it can boost properly like that. Every now and then instead of rotating on the axis of the shaft, it would try and trace a sort of conical shape. It would boost about 5 pounds max and the whole car and engine would shake like a pregnant squirel. Not an ideal situation as oyu can imagine.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:02 pm

Yeah just had a look at the air filter and found it didnt have one. If i use the car by driving it carefully, will the turbo be ok? or is there a way to lock up the turbo so it doesnt spin but still allows the air through. The Turbo still boosts but only to half way and it doesn't feel like it has the same ommph. I dont want to use the car at the moment but i have to, till i get time to pull the engine out and redo the head and turbo.

Turbo2
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo2 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:07 pm

:-/
Yes sounds like your Turbo's Shagged - My Turbo Started making ridiculus Whinning Noises before it started chattering -- then it seized for Good......

Yeah have a T1 Turbo in my car now did run into a little difficulty fitting it  but nothing major Just had to bore out 2 out of 3 hole to fit T1 Turbo but other than that All good.

Just make sure you use a slow drill-press speed and apply cutting fluid, then just cut the gasket to fit and sweet all done.
However I did use the compressor housing of the T2 Turbo Just to increase the T1's compressor capabilty.

Good luck   ;)

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:41 pm

There is no harm in driving around with a shagged turbo, unless it decides to desintegrate at go through your engine (highly unlikedly unless you get a rock or a bolt through the intake...). With it in its current state it will just keep strugling along until it seizes, and then no more boost for you!
If you want to try and save what is left of your turbo you could disconnect the wastegate actuator and wire it fully open, this should prevent your turbo spooling up and hopefully stop it from seizing just yet. I think a dieing turbo is probably worth more to you than a DEAD one!

PS.
GET AN AIRFILTER ON THERE!!!!

Henry

Postby Henry » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:52 pm

You are not the first one to find your air filter box empty! Anyone who doesn't know what is in theirs should look now. The original paper elements can be cleaned (there is a company in Adelaide and Brisbane that clean these, think it's called Air cleaner Services) The other option is that UNIFILTER make a foam element to fit the T11 air box. Info at http://www.uniflow.com.au   The foam element uses the same material as used in their Pod filters so should breath the same and save the cost of plumbing. The non turbocharged Citys pick up their breathing air from above the left headlight via a plastic duct in the top of the guard. This duct can be fitted to the turbo variants with very little effort (all the holes are already in the bodywork) so you get outside air directly into the air box inlet . If anyone has something to add to this please post it here as I will be putting this in the info database in a few days.   Henry

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

,Re: I Just need some info on turbos

Postby Turbo3 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:50 am

Yo benhnz1

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo3 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:56 am

Oops, I'll start again,
Yo benhnz1,
The best place in Chch for turbos is Turbo Technology down Wordsworth St. Have a chat to Phil, Philip or Jason and say Pete sent you. After they finish going into all the stuff they've done on my car, they'll give you good advice and may even be able to sell you my old turbo cheaper than fixing yours.  ;D
Let me know how you go!
Pete 8)

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:27 pm

Thanks guys that helps a lot. Just went out and brought a filter for it. Im hoping to save the turbo so ill try wiring the wastegate actuator open. and hope that saves the turbo till i can pull the engine out. Thanks Turbo 3 for the advice, Ill get back to you when i get the engine out. which will be some time from now.

Thanks Everyone :)

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:52 pm

if you really want to save your turbo take off your lead boots.. drive like your kids have already sent you to a retirement home.. live up to everybody elses expectations of the weapon ;D.. a

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:32 pm

Thanks for the advice.  :P Sadly I have been doing that for a week now.
My Dad and I had been planing to pull the engine out pretty soon. But my sisters City Turbo got stolen and burnt out at the river, so shes having to use my old car. Which means I have to use the T2 to get around.
All of this is a real pain since the turbo happend to go the day after i had got a warrent for it. Just my bad luck I guess.

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Re: Need some info on turbos

Postby doggystyle » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:55 pm

thems the breaks a

Return to “General”