Post pictures and details of your Honda City
turbolocodude
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

turbolocodude

Postby turbolocodude » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:36 am

http://i.imgur.com/KDqo7Klh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eps2jEDh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VVwdE5ih.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Wx1OrYDh.jpgAfter over a year owning this car I finally posted it. I have wanted one of these cars since I was 13 years old. It all started with a radio controlled Tamiya Willy's Wheeler I built in 1986 but that was a turbo 1 racing. My car is a right hand drive 1984 Turbo 2 that I found on Craigslist over a year ago. The car had a bad stumble due to fuel starvation. The fuel tank had to be cleaned. It was full of rust flakes. New fuel pump installed. One of the fuel lines was kinked at the pump. made a 180 degree pipe solved that issue. Fuel filter was replaced. All 5 injectors were sent out to get cleaned. The distributor vacume advance diaphram was perished. Sent to a local rebuilder and a new diaphram was crimped in. I took apart cleaned and lubed the centrifugal mechanism. I made a air filter out of mesh and filter element. Changed the spark plugs. Did an oil change with filter. Adjusted the clutch freeplay. On my first test drive it had that anoyying 100 kph chime that drove me crazy on that drive to work on the freeway. You guys here helped me solve that issue by clippin the wire to buzzer. Thanks again Dudes! I new a friend that had these mesh wheels sitting aroud for years in storage. I was able to purchase them for $150 with 205/60/13 GT Lops with the raised lettering. The wheels are vintage 80's Caroll Shelby Super Mesh (CSSM) 13 x 6 but the bolt pattern was meant for a first gen Mazda RX7 4 x 104 I had a wheel machine shop weld and redrill to 4 x 100 also the offset was too deep so the back side of the wheels were shaved 3/4 inch, the snout where the center cap would be was also shaved and the face and lip were polished. Tires 185/60/13 still slightly rub when it hits a bump. Driver and passenger seats are not factory 90's crv. I just purchased a pair of 91 CRX civic seats found on craigslist for $170 that will be reuphostered to color mach the back seat blue and grey. If you notice my use of terms and lingo My car is in Los Angeles, California, USA. I think there is another Honda City Turbo in, San Diego. Maby only 10 Honda City's in USA.

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Re: turbolocodude

Postby spike10000 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Welcome to the club mate! Cheers for throwing up pictures too :D

Sounds like you're well and truly on top of things. What is an oddity like that worth over in the States? We aren't exactly flush with Turbo City's in Australia either, since they were a non export model. I wouldn't think there are many more than 20 on the road in Oz. Doubtlessly a few more broken ones tucked away in sheds though.

Unfortunately someone has already tampered with my 100km/h chime it seems, as I only get the red light flash up! I have the same speed chime in my AW11 MR2, which I didn't have the heart to clip, so instead just spliced a switch in.

Your wheels look awesome by the way, really nice stuff! I think these cars look brilliant in nice 13's. I personally think they look a little silly with anything bigger than 14", unless you lower the car. I would love to get my own shocks re-done, as the rear end often scrubs out on spirited runs.

p.s. Do you still have your Wheeler? I have one new in box (not the reproduction), which someday I might build with my little bloke 8)

turbolocodude

Postby turbolocodude » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks for the complements. My goal was to make the car look like it was done period correct. I have liked that style of mesh wheel forever. The last time I checked in USA about a couple of years ago a Turbo 2 bid up on Ebay for a little under $10,000 USD in very good condition. I am a Tamiya collector nut. The Wheeler I had in 1986, I only have some parts the body broke in a bunch of pieces. I salvaged a headlight the wing and both taillights from that body. Since then I acquired 5 built ones and one new in box never built. The re-release I have one built and three new in box. It was funny when i purchased the real car right after that I heard Tamiya was going to re-release it on the Wild Willy chassis.

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spike10000 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:47 am

Completely understand wanting to build the car period correct. My ’88 MR2 has been built with the same intention. I’ve tried to retain the eighties-ness of the City too, as everything is pretty much in period including a pair of fishnet Recaro’s. I’ve somehow accumulated a host of other parts which never made it into the MR2 including a set of Omori gauges, Trust shift knob, and a Momo Sistema steering wheel. Maybe one day I’ll get them in! I have some wheels on the way from Japan too. I already own multiple sets of aerodisc wheels, so that will give an idea of what to expect!

Is there much that’s been done to yours, exhaust etc? Again, the meshies are damn damn cool! I’d never seen that design before, so wasn’t til saying they’re actually American that I understood why!

Wow, that’s a lot of wheelers you’ve amassed! I bought mine because I’ve always liked the car. I also used to own a Toyota GT-Four, so I also happen to own the ST165 and ST185 Tamiya 1/10 kits, as well as a Group C Jaguar. May build those one day too!

turbolocodude

Postby turbolocodude » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:13 am

Thank's again. The car is pretty much stock. I plan on porting the downpipe and wastegate opening to prevent boost creep. The stock exhaust piping is full of pin holes. I normally do all my repairs myself. But the exhaust I will take to a muffler shop. That will be my first upgrade. I also have a electronic boost controller that will be installed at the same time. I have some pictures of the wheels before any work was done to them. I will show them once I can retrieve them from my old unused phone. I messed up those wheels are CSS not CSSM. I like the OZ rally style disk wheels too.
Cool Tamiya's.

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spike10000 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:41 am

Do the exhaust, you won't be disappointed. My muffler looked like Swiss cheese so I ditched the whole thing for a 2.5" turbo back system and it now runs like a different car. The factory drinking straw really chokes it up quite a lot.
I really want to fit an EBC too, but just haven't got around to it.
I actually had a set of 15x7 OZ rally discs a few years ago but ended up selling them. I'm hanging on some BB Arrows to arrive from Japan to fit to the City, but also have some CF48's on the way too.
Keep the pictures coming!

Return to “Member Cars”